New style pages

edited May 2007 in userstyles.org
I've done a bunch of changes to the style pages.

First off, style URLs are now in the format "/styles/1" rather than "/style/show/1". Many other URLs have changed in the same way. If there's any URL in particular that you find useful but that's broken now, let me know.

Reviews are back on the style pages by default. Clicking on the "Post a review" will dynamically add the editing controls, if you have JavaScript enabled. You can no longer not rate a style in a review.

Category pages no longer list every style. Now, they have a search feature that searches only that category. They also list select styles, much like the main page does.

The criteria for which styles are highly rated has changed. Before, styles were rated based on average rating, then number of ratings. This was unfair because a style with 20 5-star ratings and 1 4-star rating was listed below a style with 5 5-star ratings. Now, styles are ranking based on the formula sum(rating - 3). Simply put, every rating above 3 will raise a style's ranking, every rating below 3 will lower it.

Every page that lists styles offers Atom and RSS feeds, except search results, which should be coming soon.

All these changes pave the way for caching of styles pages, which means better performance and less load on the server.

Comments

• Thanks for bringing reviews back! I still think that styles need to be sorted. For instance, on the 'App styles' page, under 'Highly rated', the first style listed is .... 'Google Web Search - dark blue redesign (vC)'. Nothing wrong with the style, i like and use it, but does it belong to the Applications styles? It's just an example, i'm sure you know.
    But thanks a lot for your work (is it me or is it faster, much faster too? I'm on a very fast cable and pages fly in minus 1sec.!)
  • Google Web Search showing up under App styles is a bug... it wasn't properly setting the criteria for the popular and highly rated lists. It's fixed now. I know there's also a bug where certain styles are showing up as Global when they're really Site, I've yet to look into that.

It's not really faster from a server perspective, but browsers will obviously render the content there now that it's not a list of 1000 styles.
  • You should totally put a parent (aka id category-top-styles or something) around the four div.category-style-top :D and a (aka id google-ads) around the google ad placement.

You should also make it so the four boxes, "New styles, Updated Styles, etc.." are clickable to the full list of recently added or updated styles pages. Just my thoughts, but i'd appreciate the above :D
  • I liked the old way of showing the rating stars next to each style.
    The mouseover tooltip idea is a real pain in the butt.

Even different colors for the various link ratings (1-2-3-4-5) would be helpful.

I see ".good-rank" and ".unranked" but I can't figure out how to change the link colors based on their rating.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Reviews are back on the style pages by default. Clicking on the "Post a review" will dynamically add the editing controls, if you have JavaScript enabled. You can no longer not rate a style in a review.
    Now you can post a review on your own style ... cool ... or not :)
  • edited May 2007
    (HTML disabled because something was messing up this page)

Posted By: ZathmanYou should totally put a parent (aka id category-top-styles or something) around the four div.category-style-top :D and a (aka id google-ads) around the google ad placement.
    Easy enough. Give me a couple days and it'll be done.

Posted By: ZathmanYou should also make it so the four boxes, "New styles, Updated Styles, etc.." are clickable to the full list of recently added or updated styles pages. Just my thoughts, but i'd appreciate the above :D
    Maybe... I don't want to overload that page with links though.

Posted By: dougeeebearI liked the old way of showing the rating stars next to each style.

Even different colors for the various link ratings (1-2-3-4-5) would be helpful.
    Well, it doesn't have one for each number, but bold means good and fady means bad.

Posted By: dougeeebearI see".good-rank"and".unranked"but I can't figure out how to change the link colors based on their rating.
    .good-rank { color: red !important}?

Posted By: dougeeebearNow you can post a review on your own style ... cool ... or not :)
    Are you sure? It looks like it'll let you but if you try to smacks you down with a plain text page.
  • edited May 2007
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)(1) Easy enough. Give me a couple days and it'll be done.
    (2) Maybe... I don't want to overload that page with links though.
    (1) - Anyone ever tell you that you rock lately, 'cause if not - you rock :D
    (2) - Maybe having the titles as links would be cheezy, however I think it'd be convenient to have some way to quickly jump to those pages, maybe a small "more styles »" link in the bottom right of each div? I dunno, just thinking of convenience ;) I have no problems going back to the front page to click on those links.

(And in regards to the whole mess that my little icon for this particular comment - I have no clue why its doing that O_o)
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Category pages no longer list every style. Now, they have a search feature that searches only that category. They also list select styles, much like the main page does.
    I think there should be a "List all styles" link on each of the category pages. Sometimes you don't know what you're looking for, so being able to browse through some styles would be nice.
    Posted By: dougeeebearI liked the old way of showing the rating stars next to each style.
    I agree. What was the reason for removing the stars? If you can put tooltips on them, why not show stars?
  • What happened to this page....

People do like to browse styles, but they wouldn't like to browse 1000 at a time, especially in the two column format that existed before. There may be some subcategorization that would allow listings. Site styles could be broken down into what sites they affect. App styles could be broken down by app.

The stars are gone because:
    1. They didn't fit in all that well
    2. Not all styles had stars because they weren't ranked yet - confusion with "0 stars"
    3. Too many server requests.
    4. I'm looking into combining popularity and high ratedness into a single metric.
  • edited June 2007
    Hey np - something I've noticed is the install counts no longer automatically update pro-actively. It appears that there are now only pre-designated times during the day in which the counts will update. Am I correct on this?
  • Yes, you're correct. I figured that calculating 1 year and a half's worth of install counts every time the a page is loaded was a little excessive.