Clean-up of user pages

edited May 2007 in userstyles.org
I've done some code clean up of the user pages, including the feeds. The clean up, among other things, changed the URLs for individual users from /user/show/1 to /users/1 (the old URL will still work) and implemented caching to improve performance. I also made a change that'll hopefully fix the bug where the forum doesn't think you're logged in but the main site does.

This is a "practice run" before I do the same to the style pages. Let me know if you see any problems.

Comments

• This made all the items in the feeds look like new items, and therefore unread. That should only happen once.
  • edited May 2007
    Heh, my feeds shot up to 200 almost. BTW, it seems that if a user edits their comment, it doesn't update the feed for it. I have some users that edit their comments to tell me about a new bug with a style, but I never get notified via my feed reader. I rarely check my comments manually, so it'd be nice if I could be notified of an edit.

Edit: And another thing. why change "user" to "users"....you're not displaying multiple users on the same page, so why plural? Makes more sense the other way to me. Apparently "style" has changed to "styles" also...again, one style on a page, why plural?
  • Have you noticed that after I made the update? I just tested it out, and the item gets updated in the RSS (along with the pubDate element). I don't know whether this is sufficient to make feed readers think it's new.

Regarding "user" vs "users", it's like a folder structure. Each user is an item within "users", just like you would have a "pics" folder rather than a "pic" folder.
  • Nope, not enough time to know whether it works yet....but I'll let you know.

I understand the folder structure thing. I just liked how you could read them almost like a sentence. Oh well, whatever =)
  • The problem with edited comments (feedback) doesn't seem to be working...or at least Google Reader doesn't notice anything new.
  • edited May 2007
    The problem doesn't seem to be working... is that a good thing?

I'm going to look up if there's a recommended way of doing stuff like this.
  • Sorry, I meant it doesn't seem to be fixed. Edited comments aren't appearing as new.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)I've done some code clean up of the user pages, including the feeds. The clean up, among other things, changed the URLs for individual users from /user/show/1 to /users/1 (the old URL will still work) and implemented caching to improve performance. I also made a change that'll hopefully fix the bug where the forum doesn't think you're logged in but the main site does.

This is a "practice run" before I do the same to the style pages. Let me know if you see any problems.
    The site seems to be much more responsive now, and is keeping me logged in.
    Thanks.