Notice: To Install styles, click the "Show Css Code" button first. The install button will work after that.
The devs are no longer actively involved in the forum, so any bug reports regarding the extension or website should be sent to them directly at contact@userstyles.org.

Bug: No way to opt out of Usage analytics, Styles on-the-go and search result recommendations

I have just installed Stylish because I'm told it's the only way to disable Gmail's horrendous new "Smart Reply" feature.

But when I installed Stylish, I got a welcome page telling me it includes Usage analytics, Styles on-the-go and search result recommendations. There's a button saying "Enable all", but no "disable all" button.

Apparently, something is broken here.

Comments

• Pabli said:
    Thanks but that article is talking about cellphones. I don't have a cellphone.
  • edited September 2018 [?]
    https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/gmail/K7NR3ailQl8/tRoHC0WDAgAJ

Oh I noticed now: "you can't turn Smart Reply off."

So probably it will be possible with stylish (better use stylus), but I don't have this option in my country so I can't help you.
  • Lee Bee said:

But when I installed Stylish, I got a welcome page telling me it includes Usage analytics, Styles on-the-go and search result recommendations. There's a button saying "Enable all", but no "disable all" button.

What version? In 3.1.8 on the Mozilla Add-ons site, those behaviors are disabled by default.
  • Yes, it's 3.1.8. I'm glad those behaviors are disbaled by default but the welcome screen didn't make that clear, it just listed the three features with a button below saying "enable all" which is vague! There should be checkboxes for each one.
  • The page is here:
    moz-extension://28d39a23-5dcb-479a-8abf-e05f6f7b66ff/welcome.html
  • If you want checkboxes, go to "Manage All Styles" and look in the lower left column.

moz-extension://your-code-varies/manage.html
  • Thanks, Jefferson. Those options are extremely well hidden and it took me a while to find them! I don't know how people are expected to know that the three little dots in the corner lead to a hidden menu, or that "Manage all styles" contains the preferences. This whole add-on seems quite confusing. Not to mention the add-on is very creepy, wanting to do these things. If it wasn't needed to use Gmail, I would not want to touch this add-on.

• You aren't forced to use Stylish. The Stylus extension is an option: https://add0n.com/stylus.html
  • Thanks, but as far as I am aware, Stylish is the only solution to the Gmail problem.
  • Lee Bee said:

Thanks, but as far as I am aware, Stylish is the only solution to the Gmail problem.

That's puzzling. Stylish and Stylus both inject user styles into pages. Why would only one of them work on Gmail?
  • Similarly, but not identically. Have you tried it yourself?
  • o! said:

Similarly, but not identically. Have you tried it yourself?

I used Stylish 2.x for Firefox 56 and earlier. I use Stylus in Firefox 57 and later. I cannot think of a reason I would need both. What user style works differently between different injector extensions?
  • Evidently Lee Bee's Gmail style. Have you tried it yourself?
  • o! said:

Evidently Lee Bee's Gmail style. Have you tried it yourself?

I don't think I've ever used any style rules for Gmail. I hardly use Gmail in a browser.