My style are archived because some people didnt read description how to install.

edited May 2018 in userstyles.org Chrome
Ive recieved message from mod or admin
"I've noticed your style isn't working on Youtube for a while now, following the big UI change made by Youtube.com.
As part of a cleanup of broken styles on Userstyles.org, we're archiving your style."
My style isn't broken, and is up to date! Just description is hidden to much below instalation. And some people didn't read it.
It should be able to add notofication after installtion "if something not working read description" but I can't.
https://userstyles.org/styles/123887/youtube-better-full-dark-theme-2018-arc

My style have 2 layouts mode for old and new youtube UI.
So some people are writing comments "not working" and because of that its now archivied.
I have flagged these coments "they are not readed description, and style is working"

People prefer to write a comment "does not work" instead read description for help.
Theme is working for smart people who read a little what they are doing..

I have update this style immediately when something wrong. Its so sad my style are hastily archived without contacting me or even checking.
Im using this style with my friends and many people without problems..
I know they are working hard, cleaning broken styles, but rly? Archiving up to date style?

Style Last Updated May 13, 2018 (forgoten style, updated years ago? NO!)

Look at this screenshot: Its clearly described everything.. Theres even guide how to restore old layout!

Comments

• edited May 2018 Chrome
    TL:DR

You can simply retrieve your theme and reply to the admin which sent you message pointing to this fact.

TL:WR
    It is my personal experience that common users dont read, they make minimal or zero effort whatsoever, its around the power-user level (no guarantees they will either because everyone is lazy anywho) that you start seeing the behaviour you expect.

Its all about managing expectations, me personally I have no expectation about anything or anyone, especially on the net.

Have fun.

Edit:

P.S.
    Once I read somewhere (from a developer) that as a developer you should make things idiot proof. My thoughts on this are, nature soon makes a better idiot.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome
    Im replying to everybody who have problem with my style.
    Im not expect that people will read the description.
    The thing is its hastily archived (up to date style) because of propably few comments, moderators thinks its broken..
    Very bad. This is proof that the site is badly designed.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome

Im replying to everybody who have problem with my style.

It is ironic that the person who archived your style also did not read the instructions.
    So I doubt the vast majority who has issue will read said instructions or this.

Very bad. This is proof that the site is badly designed.

I read this often, but perhaps you should consider reviewing how you present your instructions.

You know Ill go as far as saying that the people moderating this dont have all the time in the world to go through all the details and make better decisions and that their job like anyone who develops is largely a thankless job.

I'll refer you to my TL:DR portion and wish you good luck.

Have fun ;)

• Actually having read your reviews the vast majority are good thumbs up reviews.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome
    I think its not that hard to being careful with archiving Most popular and Recently updated style

edit:
    Yes, and thumb down are only from people who didn't installed it properly.
  • Just retrieve the style.
  • I did it immediately..I wanted to share my story ::)
  • Its still showing as archived here....
  • I'm rather pleased to read that the admins are cleaning up broken styles on Uerstyles.org. I know there are thousands of them now, and it has to be a daunting task to undertake.

J0k3r already stated the best advice I can offer, which is that the majority of users aren't going to watch videos or read instructions well. They install a style and expect it to work. Keep any instructions clear and as minimal as possible.

I'll share my perspective a little bit regarding post flagging.

•All flagged posts are looked at.
    •Anyone can flag a post for any reason and should always feel free to do so.
    •For style reviews the rating system is flawed in my opinion and too many bug reports are emphasized with a thumbs-down review icon. This is unfortunate, but despite complaints through the years a better system hasn't been implemented.

We also have a few authors who flag every down vote they receive as being unfair. The frustration with unwarranted downvotes is understandable, but they are also the free expression of an opinion, and unless there is a criteria met, the moderators are not going to interfere with the ratings process.

To quote the founder of Userstyles.org:

I don't remove reviews unless they're clearly malicious (someone posting tons of reviews) or not about that style (spam, personal attacks, etc.) I don't want to be the judge of whether every review on the site is "fair".

If you can't handle idiots not liking stuff, I suggest you get off the internet.

• It's not about idiot peoples who thumb down theme without reason. It's about archiving style by admins because its "broken". I dont know how they inferred it.

Admins are cleaning broken styles? Good joke. Its looks like they are cleaning everything.
    How recently updated can be broken? Its ok to clean old and abandoned styles, but really?

Select all > archive > if your style was working send me an email..
  • Why send an email, you can un-archive style yourself.

You still have yours archived because you havent retrieved it. Unless of course when an admin archives it you cant retrieve it anymore.

Takes 1 second to do.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome

It's not about idiot peoples who thumb down theme without reason. It's about archiving style by admins because its "broken". I dont know how they inferred it. .

I don't know either. You'll have to talk to whichever admin sent you the message.
  • Everyone makes mistakes :) Except of course some special people, because they are perfect and better than the rest of us that do make mistakes...
  • edited May 2018 Chrome
    Admin said:
    "If you feel your style should be returned, please send an email to contact@userstyles.org with the headline 'Return my Style'"

Well I retrieved it again. Worked now.
  • Admin said:
    "If you feel your style should be returned, please send an email to contact@userstyles.org with the headline 'Return my Style'"

Well I retrieved it again. Worked now.

Hi man, I've PMed you, but glad to see you've also opened this to public discussion.

Our initial work on this cleanup project, which as Clalico said, isn't easy, made us understand we need to change the flow a bit.
    I'll open a new announcement on the forum saying we're about to do a cleanup and letting people sort out their styles before we archive them.

As you've realized yourselves, you can always retrieve the styles on your own. We're not permanently deleting anything.
  • Just a thought.
    You could add a message on the youtube screen that will remain there until the user goes back and chooses the correct settings.
    The setting in particular would be something like "Are you done customizing? -yes/no"
    "No" would be default and this code would be added:

html::after {
      content: "OOPS, it looks like you missed some configuration when installing the userstyle.\A\AStyle: My_Style_Name\ALink: https://userstyles.org/styles/NUMBER/\A\AThere is additional customization, please read the instructions before installing and select the settings you want.";
      white-space: pre-line;
      font-size: 12pt;
      font-family: Arial,sans-serif;
      width: 30vw;
      min-width: 330px;
      position: fixed;
      top: 15px;
      left: 15px;
      padding: 10px;
      background-color: #ece613;
      color: black;
      border: 1px black solid;
      box-shadow: black 0px 0px 15px 0px;
      z-index: 2147483647;
      pointer-events: all;
    }

This will require people to recheck the settings and possibly prevent bad ratings.

A picture for reference:

607 x 155 - 6K
  • Good idea @q1k What could be done is something like, automatically show a pop up as a configurable option by style submitter as a catch all. So this would be an extra option in style submission area.

Detecting if a user has fulfilled any requirements is infeasible anyway.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome
    I was doing something like that, but not everybody can speak english, I will put text and small screenshot.
    Hmm I wonder I can put to that message clickable link? That would be great. Because its not working with your code.
  • I was doing something like that, but not everybody can speak english

Thats a moot point since you already only provide instructions in English :)

Remember text can be translated, screenshots cannot.

• edited May 2018 Chrome
    But floating message should be understandable for all. Even if I "only provide instructions in English"

Screenshot not need to be translated, because everybody understand arrow pointing on button. And people still can translate text from it.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome
    Haha that message make more mess than it was before. X_X

People reactions:
    WTF were you thinking when you added this overlay or made the installation anything more complicated than a usual theme

Just kidding I don't care

Oh look it's literally any other theme
  • :D
    431 x 336 - 14K