Release Notes - Stylish 1.6.3 is out!

Comments

• The problem with Opera (latest) and the chrome version of Stylish installed where for a brief second on page first load or refresh you see the original websites theme colors. Its like stylish is taking too long to apply the style. Would be good to find the problem here.

Is it Stylish, or Opera, or a combination of the two.
  • edited December 2016 Chrome
    PS: Here's a mock-up for user-created styles that doesn't include a pop-up menu, so it should be even quicker to implement:

It also shows a version of the pop-up that is only as large as it needs to be, rather than a huge white blob of emptiness below the installed styles.

Although I mocked up the names of long styles truncated with ellipsis, that's probably not the best idea: better to let them line-wrap. It's not important for all the strips representing styles to be the same height.

Finally, to pick up a thread from above that seems to have gone silent: The list should show all styles, whether installed from userstyles.org or user-created, whether they apply to "everything" or to the current page. I would prefer that user-created styles (because they take up FAR less screen space) come first, but I may be in the minority there. I can probably restyle it to move 'em where I want 'em.

You'll also notice that the icon doesn't change colors at all. I still find it odd that no one else has encountered this issue.

I have experienced it, too. I think it is an initialization failure of some sort.

There's a workaround 'til our illustrious host has a chance to fix it: Toggle "All Styles" off and back on again, and the logo appears as it should:
            Before                     After        
  • land said:

I have experienced it, too. I think it is an initialization failure of some sort.

Not a "failure" or a "bug", it's another brilliant new "feature".

As for the icon color, the way it works is when you visit a site it sends a call to the server checking if styles exist for the visited web page.

I think what you meant to say is "the way it works now, after I stripped more useful functionality and replaced it with nonsense".

The icon has always changed from grayscale to colored to indicate that styles are actively being applied to any given site. A much more useful indicator than an advertisement for available us.o styles.

If you opted out, you're not allowing this information to be sent. That's why it's not able to show the color indication.

So...completely useless.

If you have a better solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

Revert back to its useful functionality...and stop replacing useful functionality with not-so-subtle advertisements for us.o in general.
    Justin still hasn't responded to anything in that comment, or acknowledged he even comprehends that he hasn't returned style control functionality to the popup. I figured we'd hear from him after Christmas...but nothing as of yet.
    Disappointing.

If you will permit me to correct you slightly, it is a failure: of attention by the developer to his users, who are in open revolt.

That said, I'm trying to remain civil to Justin, who has taken on a challenging task with a testy user base. I want to see about forking off a "Stylish Pro" project for serious users who are interested in more than just downloading other script kiddies' stylesheets to make T3H WEBZ SUP3R L337!!!11.

In another post, I opined that it does seem that Justin is turning Stylish into a front-end and marketing tool for us.o at the expense of style developers. This suggests to me that he's planning to monetize the site, and doesn't care that he's harming the extension and its users.

If that is the case, we will likely see both the extension and the site ruined and eventually lost to us all.

It may be time for a fork and an entirely new extension aimed at style developers. If people want to use Justin's toy version of Stylish, let 'em.
    I published a style to simplify the layout of the "Installed Styles" tab, which looks more like an advertising sidebar than a user interface.

https://userstyles.org/styles/137010/clean-up-stylish-popup

The result is that the popup looks like this:

Understand, of course, that you won't have anything in the "Installed Styles" tab unless you download all your styles from userstyles.org, but not if you write your own from scratch. Apparently, script creators are second-class citizens.
  • land said:

I think I have figured out why none of my installed styles show up in the "Installed Styles" tab:

I am a style creator, not a style consumer.

I was just surprised by seeing this:

I have 212 styles installed (maybe 20-30 active at any time). Only one or two were downloaded from userstyles.org. The image above is the first time I've ever seen anything in that panel, and now I think I know why: did you forgot (or intentionally decide not) to show user-created styles in the "Installed Styles" tab?

Those of us for whom Stylish is a tool and not a toy would appreciate it.

If you want to show your "fancy" displays for userstyle.org-originated items, that's no concern of mine, but user-created styles could be listed as I mocked up above: a simple text listing with a toggle and either a menu (as mocked up) or plain text links below the title for Edit/Delete/Clone.

Thanks!

Yeah, I figured it out a few days ago and am working on it already. Sorry for the bad user experience. It's an end case I should have tested.

I've updated the Trello board with what I'm working on right now and the status of each task, so you'll be in the loop and I'll save time updating the forum with every progress I make. I can tell you that I believe I'll have a fixed version with all the bugs and the added features live next week.
  • is it possible to use/get an older version for Chrome? this seems so wonky... the new(?) icon shows up maybe 50% of the time, the 'find styles' link is broken(every pages sends me to a search of google rather then the current page), the installed icons--wha-why so large.
  • Justin,
    why do we have to hunt down another site (which you don't even bother to link to) when we have this site for all things Stylish?
    Please don't try to 'save your time' by wasting ours.
    If you ever have a new version, post a changelog or at least a link to where people can find it.
    Thank you.
  • edited December 2016 Firefox
    SlothTHG said:

is it possible to use/get an older version for Chrome?

That was discussed in this thread -- Chrome views it as a different extension and doesn't automatically link up your existing userstyles with it: https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/52800/release-notes-new-version-of-stylish-was-released/p2

Yeah, I figured it out a few days ago and am working on it already. Sorry for the bad user experience. It's an end case I should have tested.

I've updated the Trello board with what I'm working on right now and the status of each task, so you'll be in the loop and I'll save time updating the forum with every progress I make. I can tell you that I believe I'll have a fixed version with all the bugs and the added features live next week.

Thanks, Justin. I'll keep an eye on the Trello board and await with eager anticipation a version that lets me see my own scripts.

I've been a bit of a thorn in your side with respect to "pro" users' needs, so I'm grateful that you're hearing us and intend to support us.

Before I go, I'm sure that you're aware of a separate thread woven through several of the forums about changing the meaning of the full-color vs. the gray-scale icon (you've changed it so that it advertises the availability of styles on userstyles.org, some of us preferred the old way, where it lit up to show that you have installed scripts active on the page). Perhaps a setting in the options would resolve it:

Colorize the extension icon when:
     (•) My installed styles are in effect for this page
     (  ) Styles for this page are available on userstyles.org
       You must opt-in to data collection for this to work
    By the way, while I was mucking around with restyling the pop-up last night, I also put my hand to updating the manage screen. Right now, it wastes a lot of space. I created a style that:
    • Fits almost 50% more styles on screen at a time.
    • Turns the "Enable"/"Disable" button into a checkbox next to the style name.
    • Dims only the style name (not the buttons and other info) when a style is disabled.
    https://userstyles.org/styles/137039/modernize-stylish-manage-page

1840 x 1076 - 198K
    Or this with simple css.
    896 x 387 - 50K
  • edited December 2020 Chrome

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Sonny said:

Or this with simple css.

Nice and compact, @Sonny!

A lot of my styles have long names (and some have even longer lists of "Applies to" URLs), so your layout might not work for me.

I went one step further than my previous version and produced:

Stylish: Major Management Makeover 2.0

975 x 630 - 168K
  • Not even gonna bother using this and changing it with the "Clean up Stylish popup" and "A less crap-tastic popup" user styles…

I her you, @"ParisAndStuff YT", but I'm gonna keep beating my head against this brick wall. I want to stay with the maintained release because old extensions eventually fail because Chrome updates break stuff and I'm not willing to chase changes to Chrome internals just to keep an out-of-date extension alive.
  • edited January 2017 Chrome
    NM
  • Was increasingly more bothered by absence of installed styles, force-updated the chrome extension (via "update now" in developer mode), and now it throws up this exception when popup is opened,

popup.html:1 Error in response to tabs.query: TypeError: Cannot read property 'popupCheckEnabled' of undefined
        at updatePopUp (chrome-extension://fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe/popup.js:74:69)
        at Object.callback (chrome-extension://fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe/messaging.js:234:7)
        at getActiveTab (chrome-extension://fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe/messaging.js:232:14)
        at chrome-extension://fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe/popup.js:11:1

and doesn't show anything inside. Line in question:

var userAllowedServerConnection = prefs.get('popup.checkNewStyles').popupCheckEnabled();

prefs.get call returns undefined.
    It similarly throws up exceptions when the settings' option is changed.

After nudging a line of JS into the preferences,

prefs.set("popup.checkNewStyles", ({ popupCheckEnabled: function() { return false }}));

the popup finally appears, but still does not show the tabs.

Leaning towards making a fork of the last pre-revamp version for own use to avoid bothering.

Lets not forget having some new back up options added to the manage page. Maybe even create your own dark theme Jason, rather than us having to run a style.

Some backup options to auto backup every X days. And to over write the same file or create increments v000, v001, etc. All from the manage page. So all our styles are safe, inc our own custom styles.

And a restore function that holds the last days styles in case the current lot fail. An emergency restore option that cannot be corrupted if the current days styles fail for what ever reason, browser update, profile corruption or new add-on version etc.

All on the manage styles page.

PS. Opera is still flashing up the original website theme on page open or refresh. Its like Stylish is not working fast enough to style the page. Is this something with the new v42.xx Opera or the add-on.

1883 x 911 - 187K
  • edited December 2016 Firefox
    I would like to suggest you shrink up the menu in chrome if they opt out or no styles available? Save some menu crying. Just a thought Thanks again.
  • Been stuck with a crippled pop-up menu for long enough that I think I might move over to https://freestyler.ws/

They actually have everything that userstyles has and more. They've pulled in stuff from all over the web.

Their extension has what Stylish had... and some interesting additional features.

Prolly going to end up with them...

I'm using Stylish 99% for WorkFlowy... and the current version has been incredibly frustrating for me to toggle styles on and off. Forget about aesthetics... it's gotten to the point where functionality has taken a knock and my workflow is suffering... so waiting for weeks (and months?) is not going to happen. So disappointed.
  • frankman777 said:
    Been stuck with a crippled pop-up menu for long enough that I think I might move over to https://freestyler.ws/

I have an appropriate style in case you do.

frankman777 said:
    They actually have everything that userstyles has and more. They've pulled in stuff from all over the web.

Pilfered would be a more accurate depiction.

We all understand your frustration. Justin has said a fix will be coming, probably this week. Try to be patient a little longer.

• I'm stuck on 1.6.1. I tried Update Extensions in Chrome but that apparently does nothing anyway. The only way I can think of updating to 1.6.3 is to remove extension then add it again, but I will lose 40+ styles. I don't know what to do. Copy pasting that many styles into txt files seems a bit ridiculous.
  • I'm stuck on 1.6.1. I tried Update Extensions in Chrome but that apparently does nothing anyway. The only way I can think of updating to 1.6.3 is to remove extension then add it again, but I will lose 40+ styles. I don't know what to do. Copy pasting that many styles into txt files seems a bit ridiculous.

1.6.3 ain't great either. Supposedly there'll be another update soon. Make a backup of your IndexedDB folder and you'll be able to insert the whole thing in any new installation.

https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/53190/chromes-stylish-database-does-not-get-updated#Comment_109703
  • Since the update, not only is the display window broken if you have default scaling above 100%, the text colors also make it not readable.

353 x 678 - 48K
  • edited January 2017 Chrome
    evea said:

Since the update, not only is the display window broken if you have default scaling above 100%, the text colors also make it not readable.

You might have a style installed and active that's interfering with the extensions's stylesheet, because I just installed the latest one and it looks fine for me
  • Your are right, I had a style for the editor installed. The scaling is still broken though.

I'm stuck on 1.6.1. I tried Update Extensions in Chrome but that apparently does nothing anyway. The only way I can think of updating to 1.6.3 is to remove extension then add it again, but I will lose 40+ styles. I don't know what to do. Copy pasting that many styles into txt files seems a bit ridiculous.

1.6.3 ain't great either. Supposedly there'll be another update soon. Make a backup of your IndexedDB folder and you'll be able to insert the whole thing in any new installation.

https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/53190/chromes-stylish-database-does-not-get-updated#Comment_109703
    I'm working on the next version (1.7.0). It will include the following updates: Install directly through the extension, an option to backup and retrieve your installed styles, feedback link for each style, a fix on the 'Installed Styles' tab (right now it's not showing local styles), and showing app styles in the 'Style Library' tab (right now it's only showing website styles).

This will probably go live sometime next week. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.
  • You seem to still be missing the parts that say "Create a new theme for page" in the drop-down. Come on dude that was the first thing people were missing! Thank you for moving forward, but please add back the functionality that was removed!!!!!!!!!! Stop adding fluff.