Release Notes - New Version of Stylish was released

13»

Comments

• I hope you’ll change your mind about leaving

I wasn't declaring a boycott on us.o in general, only stating the obvious, which is that if you strip all the convenient functionality from the popup, it's a huge step backwards. If that's the case, I'll either sideload an older version to prevent automatic updates or find a different fork/extension.

The ability to disable/delete/edit styles directly from the popup aren't features I figured I'd ever need to explain the merit of. Adding functionality like suggested styles is great, but not at the expense of eliminating basic functionality for people who use it to create/edit styles. It doesn't need to be one or the other, you can do both.

I’m not going to add a toggle to return to the old version of the add on, because maintaining two sets of code for two extension versions on 3-5 browsers is crazy.

I don't understand the rationale here either. The shortsighted decision to remove everything useful from the popup and replace it with suggested styles must be a real-estate issue. There's only so much you can reasonably cram into a popup. What I was suggesting is a simple toggle to choose between the new default "dumbed down" version with suggested styles, and a more familiar version with the useful shortcuts for style creators.

You've already agreed that you need to add the shortcuts back. If you want to try to cram them all in the same popup, that's your prerogative. Bear in mind, that it's not impossible to have overflow as it is, if you have a lot of global styles.

The bottom line is, as long as the functionality remains, the popup is stylable, so it can be rearranged by us. We shouldn't need to fix "improvements" made in updates, but we can and will, if we need to.

Btw, has no one else experienced the icon not changing to colored on sites with styles enabled? I used it for a grand total of 15 mins, and it wasn't working correctly.
    My wife is a UI ninja and she's already working on a solution that will allow bringing back these functionalities to the front and allow you guys to choose your default view. Should have an updated version out sometime next week.

Are you still experiencing a problem with the icon? I didn't get any other reports about this bug and can't reproduce it myself.
  • heinsj said:

I agree with the comments about missing the menu where I can turn off individual styles. I like the appearance of the new menu but totally miss the old menu.

Yeah, an updated version with these functionalities should be out next week.
  • land said:

This version of Stylish hangs with 100% cpu utilization all the time.

Moreover, unlike ever before, Stylish crashing causes the entire browser to become unresponsive: Unfortunately, I cannot use Chrome with Stylish active.

How can I roll back to a prior, working version?

The updated version with the old functionalities will be out next week. In the meantime, I want to look into this CPU issue you reported. Can you please send me the following details: OS, Chrome version, steps to reproduce, other extensions you have installed
    ?
    Thanks!
  • land said:

Jefferson said:

On Github, I see a .crx file for 1.5.1, which is one day older, but I don't see 1.5.2: https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/releases/tag/1.5.1

I installed 1.5.1 as an unpacked extension, but it doesn't recognize any of my numerous installed styles. It may be because 1.6.2 is still installed (albeit disabled).

I don't know of a way to export or back up all my styles before risking it.

I am reluctant to uninstall 1.6.2, risking the loss of my many styles, but like lots of other folks here, I feel like like 1.6.2 has been nerfed for use by people who only use other people's styles. It's not as useful as a Web developer tool.

Those of us who have dozens of styles and activate/deactivate them frequently for testing and other purposes are out of luck until @"Justin Hindman" and his wife restore the list of applicable styles that was a key feature of Stylish.
    Rahimichi said:

I agree with Ana.

"Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create" What? but wont taking away the functionality to disable/delete/edit styles directly from the popup just make it restricting, it wont give people a chance to experiment easily; the only reason I started making styles was because it was just a click away, by chance.

Having the controls all on the pop up made it really easy to see what I was doing, I would have been just been an 'end-user' but because of those easy to access features it enabled me to make my own.

The check boxes were a very useful feature. I honestly can't under that why that functionality was removed. The "Show number of styles active for the current site on the toolbar button" option is less useful now.
    Also: When on youtube.com and I click "Find more styles for this site."button, it takes me to browse google styles, not youtube.
    Also 2: Previously, when you clicked Save when editing a style the Saved button would be greyed/unclickable until there were edits, it was useful as an indicator, 1) so you knew it was saved 2) when Crtl+Zing it would grey out when you were back to where it was last saved.

"Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create."

But this update alienates userstyle creators. Without them, there won't be any more styles for the average Stylish user to install.

Looks like useful features have been deprecated. Although the form looks good, function has been stripped.

It's been said already: We need access to toggle multiple styles for individual sites, grouped together in the drop-down menu for specific web pages. I don't know what the problem was with what we had.

Is there a way to roll back/ revert to the previous version? ... please.

I hear all of you and want to reassure you that an updated version with the style management functionalities placed back in the front will be out sometime next week. You're free to try and revert to the old version in the meantime, but I recommend waiting a week for the updated one.
    Since I want to dedicate my time to working on the code, after this comment, I'll be answering only reported bugs. The more details you can give me on each bug, including steps to reproduce, the better.
  • edited December 2016 Chrome

land said:

The updated version with the old functionalities will be out next week. In the meantime, I want to look into this CPU issue you reported. Can you please send me the following details: OS, Chrome version, steps to reproduce, other extensions you have installed?

Hi, Justin. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Like others, I'm glad to see Stylish being actively maintained, and happier still to see that you are so responsive to the community of users (even if it seems like all we do is complain and fight amongst each other…).

As to the CPU utilization issue:

I'm on Mac OS X 10.11.6 and Chrome 56.0.2924.21 beta (64-bit).

I haven't fully nailed down the steps to reproduce, but it seems to occur most often (though not always) while searching on Google. For what it's worth, I have no active scripts that target Google, and none that run on "Everything."

EDIT: Several hours later, I had another hang while using Google+ (for work testing purposes. I don't know anyone who "uses" Google+ :-) ).

Perhaps unrelated: but possibly useful info: Usually, I have several (OK, many) other windows & tabs open, some with dev tools active. Some tabs may have been open for hours (occasionally, days). Often, at least one tab has Facebook open. Also usually, a couple of tabs will have my company's Web app active (but it has definitely occurred when I didn't have our app active, including once while writing this reply).

I have attached a text file listing my active extensions and installed Chrome Apps. Try not to faint when you see it :-)—I'm overdue for a culling.

• I hear all of you and want to reassure you that an updated version with the style management functionalities placed back in the front will be out sometime next week. You're free to try and revert to the old version in the meantime, but I recommend waiting a week for the updated one.
    Since I want to dedicate my time to working on the code, after this comment, I'll be answering only reported bugs. The more details you can give me on each bug, including steps to reproduce, the better.

Did you read and have any thoughts about my feedback Justin. About a back up all option or two on the manage styles page.

----

Idea: From the manage all styles page/window. An easy option to backup ALL styles (active and disabled) to external file. Set the path and maybe allow auto option per X days/weeks. And also option to overwrite one same file, or create new backup each time _v0001, _v0002, etc.

Also, maybe an auto backup of all styles just before updating the add-on and marking it so (preup_DATE_v001), just in case the add-on update breaks and you panic all is lost...

Very important to have these I think. Using a lot of styles this is a must.

-----

I too like to see all the styles activated for the page/domain I'm on by clicking the stylish icon (icon looks good by the way).

And I also create the odd style myself from the management page from time to time and copy in parts of other styles so I can make a custom one for X or Y website that don't have a dark style. I really find this very useful.

From clicking the icon, I do use the manage styles link, and also quite often the find other styles for this page/site.

Creating a new style for X page direct from clicking the icon, well I can live without that. As long as its still on the manage styles page.

But I do rely on clicking the icon and seeing a all the active 'on' styles the site/page has called up. That is useful.
  • I'd prefer to use the official version, so I'll test the next one when it's ready.

In the meantime, I pieced together a version of Jason's last master that can be installed unpacked, which is compatible with the default database. It's the same as the previous WebStore version except it also has the Chrome update bugfix.

I previously mentioned that installing it unpacked resulted in a minor editor bug. When saving edits, the editor wasn't keeping the current cursor position. Not a huge deal, but annoying enough that I wouldn't want to use it like that. I eliminated the bug by swapping Jason's edit.js for Justin's updated version. As far as I can tell (not very), he just cleaned up some syntax and used a couple variations in the code to achieve the same functions, but it fixes the bug.

I highly doubt that the WebStore would push a forced update to an unpacked extension, but I also changed the version to "2.0" as an extra precaution. While I was at it, I removed the analytics, because I was never a fan of them being added in the first place.

One annoying factor in Google Chrome is that using unpacked extensions in Developer Mode results in needing to reconfirm every time you launch Chrome. I use Chromium, so that doesn't apply. For anyone sick of Google's bullshit, I recommend this utility.

To summarize, the changes are:

1) Swapped manifest for an official version so it has the same ID, making the database compatible.

2) Changed the version number as an extra (probably unnecessary) precaution.

3) Removed analytics.

4) Swapped Jason's edit.js for Justin's to fix the editor bug.

You probably shouldn't attempt to use it unless you're familiar and completely comfortable with the whole process. If you wanna try it, first make a couple backups of your IndexedDB folder:

...\Default\IndexedDB\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0.indexeddb.leveldb

just in case.

After that, remove the installed version of Stylish. Since the unpacked version uses the same ID for database compatibility, installing them alongside each other is a bad idea. I don't know how bad, and I don't care to find out. I imagine there would be conflicts.

Download the modified version here. Unzip it and place it wherever you want to keep it.

In Chrome, go to the extensions page, tick "Developer Mode", and click "Load Unpacked Extension". Navigate to wherever you placed the unzipped "stylish-chrome-master" and select it.

Once it loads, close the browser, and replace the current (empty) version of the database folder:

...\Default\IndexedDB\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0.indexeddb.leveldb

with one of your backups.

That's it. Open your browser and your styles should work. Since the database is the same, you should be able to save a future backup to install in the official Stylish should you choose to.

As long as you keep an untouched backup and don't try to install it alongside an official version, there's not a whole lot of risk involved if something goes wrong. Simply unload the extension, and use the backup once you reinstall the official version. Still, I make no guarantees, so play with it at your own risk. It's working for me, and I'm happy with it, so I figured I'd share.
  • In the meantime, I pieced together a version of Jason's last master that can be installed unpacked, which is compatible with the default database. It's the same as the previous WebStore version except it also has the Chrome update bugfix.

A fork on github with your fixes would be awesome. :ar! Kind of a "writers" version without the fluff.

I removed the analytics, because I was never a fan of them being added in the first place.

B-) Also a great idea
  • Also the UI from http://stylebot.me/ is kinda nice, Justin Hindman your wife might get some ideas from it.

Also its GPL and dead
    https://github.com/ankit/stylebot/
  • I hate the new version! I cannot toggle my styles on and off quickly at all. I don't need to add styles that often so the feature added is useless to me and I lost the main feature I loved!
  • I hate the new version! I cannot toggle my styles on and off quickly at all. I don't need to add styles that often so the feature added is useless to me and I lost the main feature I loved!

that feature should be back in the next update Justin said it should be out sometime next week
  • hippyjake said:

In the meantime, I pieced together a version of Jason's last master that can be installed unpacked, which is compatible with the default database. It's the same as the previous WebStore version except it also has the Chrome update bugfix.

A fork on github with your fixes would be awesome. :ar! Kind of a "writers" version without the fluff.

I removed the analytics, because I was never a fan of them being added in the first place.

B-) Also a great idea
    I have no interest in forking Stylish, nor do I have the skills to make any useful contributions. This is only a hackish solution to fix the problem of database compatibility for anyone looking to sideload Jason's last master unpacked. Useful to a couple people, maybe.

As I said, I'd prefer to use the official version. As long as the next update returns the normal functionality without any new bugs, I'll switch back. I'm glad to have a fallback version I'm happy with in case that doesn't happen though.
  • Another thing I've just noticed with Opera (latest) is that when refreshing a tab or loading one from background, that the stylish style is not loading quick enough and for 0.5-1 second I'm seeing the original website display and then the style takes over. All night time dark ones so its really noticeable.

Is this a problem with stylish, or new v42 Opera ?

Please investigate.
  • If you opt out the "Send anonymous data to the stylish developer" to make the style previews disappear, instead there is unnecessary much whitespace with a whining message in the category of "please enable javascript on this website, otherwise we can't show you the fancy slidetoggles you didn't want to see. Instead we'll annoy you with this message everytime you click here".
    Y U DO DIS 2 US?
    Put it in the settings and just make it disappear if setting was not chosen.

Ok so enough of the negative... I love the new logo as well as seeing your motivation for development of the addon and improvements of design! I don't know where this is going (I'm optimistic), but please keep in mind "functionality first". Only women use crappy stuff just because "it looks good" ;-)
  • Only women use crappy stuff just because "it looks good" ;-)

Naw, we like things that function well too.

• yeah, no offense, just a stereotype joke for the end of the post :-)
    Yeah, Justin, with Opera 42.0.2393.85 refreshing a tab/page briefly exposes the websites orig colours/style before Stylish add-on (chrome version) takes over. Its a very noticeable 0.5-1 second. Since I use dark styles, you get the bright orig website flashing all the time on refresh or waking up background tab. Please investigate if add-on or Opera latest (42.0.2393.85 )

ps. A back up feature on the manage styles page would be good. To back up to a folder, option to over right or incremental v000, v0001, etc. Auto (set time) or manual option as well. Would be very good to have.
    We all saw Jason was not motivated in developing Stylish, so it's a good news he officially admitted he had no plans in developing it anymore.
    Let's check what people were asking the most: https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/issues
    Wow, 50 comments for syncing personal styles ! :o
    -> Let's complicate the options to use personal styles !
    + it is obvious there's a commercial interest in this owner transfer.
    1 star in chrome store obviously.
  • Another thing I've just noticed with Opera (latest) is ... that the stylish style is not loading quick enough and for 0.5-1 second I'm seeing the original website display and then the style takes over.

I'm starting to see this happen, too (in Chrome).
  • Another thing I've just noticed with Opera (latest) is ... that the stylish style is not loading quick enough and for 0.5-1 second I'm seeing the original website display and then the style takes over.

I'm starting to see this happen, too (in Chrome).
    yeah it kinda sucks having this all the time. It might be Opera v42 release just not playing ball with the new Stylish update. Or visa-versa. I've reported to Opera, but if you can as well that would be good. And if Justin can confirm its Opera or Add-on, that would be helpful. Maybe Justin can contact Opera Devs also???
  • Another bug whilst using Opera (latest). Adding a style from this website then crashes the add-on with an Opera page just saying 'Out of Memory'. Pressing refresh and it comes back.. and then applies the all the styles again.

Kind of worrying when this happens. Again is this Opera v42? or new Stylish and Opera v42? acting up.

Another need for detailed options for backing up styles from manage page.
  • I'd prefer to use the official version, so I'll test the next one when it's ready.

I previously mentioned that installing it unpacked resulted in a minor editor bug. When saving edits, the editor wasn't keeping the current cursor position. Not a huge deal, but annoying enough that I wouldn't want to use it like that. I eliminated the bug by swapping Jason's edit.js for Justin's updated version. As far as I can tell (not very), he just cleaned up some syntax and used a couple variations in the code to achieve the same functions, but it fixes the bug.

I highly doubt that the WebStore would push a forced update to an unpacked extension, but I also changed the version to "2.0" as an extra precaution. While I was at it, I removed the analytics, because I was never a fan of them being added in the first place.

One annoying factor in Google Chrome is that using unpacked extensions in Developer Mode results in needing to reconfirm every time you launch Chrome. I use Chromium, so that doesn't apply. For anyone sick of Google's bullshit, I recommend this utility.

To summarize, the changes are:

1) Swapped manifest for an official version so it has the same ID, making the database compatible.

2) Changed the version number as an extra (probably unnecessary) precaution.

3) Removed analytics.

4) Swapped Jason's edit.js for Justin's to fix the editor bug.

You probably shouldn't attempt to use it unless you're familiar and completely comfortable with the whole process. If you wanna try it, first make a couple backups of your IndexedDB folder:

just in case.

After that, remove the installed version of Stylish. Since the unpacked version uses the same ID for database compatibility, installing them alongside each other is a bad idea. I don't know how bad, and I don't care to find out. I imagine there would be conflicts.

Download the modified version here. Unzip it and place it wherever you want to keep it.

In Chrome, go to the extensions page, tick "Developer Mode", and click "Load Unpacked Extension". Navigate to wherever you placed the unzipped "stylish-chrome-master" and select it.

Once it loads, close the browser, and replace the current (empty) version of the database folder:

with one of your backups.

That's it. Open your browser and your styles should work. Since the database is the same, you should be able to save a future backup to install in the official Stylish should you choose to.

As long as you keep an untouched backup and don't try to install it alongside an official version, there's not a whole lot of risk involved if something goes wrong. Simply unload the extension, and use the backup once you reinstall the official version. Still, I make no guarantees, so play with it at your own risk. It's working for me, and I'm happy with it, so I figured I'd share.

If anyone else is doing this, be vary. What you really want to backup is the ..\Default\databases\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0
    folder. Or just the entire databases folder just to be safe. Backing up only the indexeddb folder didn't save my styles. The actual styles are located in the folder in 'databases'
    Thankfully I had backed up the entire Default folder beforehand.

And a question: Why does it show these errors?
    http://i.imgur.com/z5cp0YG.png
  • edited January 2017 Chrome
    The database you're referring to is the old SQLite, which has been deprecated for over a year. Stylish was switched to an IndexedDB which did a one time import from the SQLite. Any subsequent edits are saved to the IndexedDB from then on (again, more than a year ago). The SQLite is not removed, but once the DB has been extracted from it, it just sits there doing nothing.

I don't feel like arguing with you about the SQLite not being important. It's not. Whatever worked for you is fine by me. There's no harm in also making a backup of your SQLite DB, but it likely hasn't been updated in over a year, so be aware of that if you choose to use it. The IndexedDB is all that's necessary, and I don't recommend inserting the old, outdated SQLite DB at all.

The errors you're getting are harmless. The "unrecognized manifest" error is for Firefox. It is present in every version of Stylish. Chrome ignores it, but still throws a warning. The "Thumbs.db" error is an oversight on my part, but it's nothing really. When you store anything with images on Windows, it creates a hidden "Thumbs.db" system file. It's a system cache file for speed. It is also harmless, but if you want to delete it, in Windows File Explorer, navigate to:

view/options/change folder and search options/view

then uncheck "hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and click "apply".

Then go to "stylish-chrome-master" and you should find the "Thumbs.db". Just delete it. I'd highly recommend going back and re-hiding system files when you're done. Reload extensions and that warning will be gone.

Or you could not bother. Neither error is detrimental in any way.

The database you're referring to is the old SQLite, which has been deprecated for over a year. Stylish was switched to an IndexedDB which did a one time import from the SQLite. Any subsequent edits are saved to the IndexedDB from then on (again, more than a year ago). The SQLite is not removed, but once the DB has been extracted from it, it just sits there doing nothing.

I don't feel like arguing with you about the SQLite not being important. It's not. Whatever worked for you is fine by me. There's no harm in also making a backup of your SQLite DB, but it likely hasn't been updated in over a year, so be aware of that if you choose to use it. The IndexedDB is all that's necessary, and I don't recommend inserting the old, outdated SQLite DB at all.

The errors you're getting are harmless. The "unrecognized manifest" error is for Firefox. It is present in every version of Stylish. Chrome ignores it, but still throws a warning. The "Thumbs.db" error is an oversight on my part, but it's nothing really. When you store anything with images on Windows, it creates a hidden "Thumbs.db" system file. It's a system cache file for speed. It is also harmless, but if you want to delete it, in Windows File Explorer, navigate to:

view/options/change folder and search options/view

then uncheck "hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and click "apply".

Then go to "stylish-chrome-master" and you should find the "Thumbs.db". Just delete it. I'd highly recommend going back and re-hiding system files when you're done. Reload extensions and that warning will be gone.

Or you could not bother. Neither error is detrimental in any way.

Thanks for answering this quick.

I'm not arguing in any way. I just thought maybe you forgot to mention that databases needs backing up. I didn't know that it has been deprecated. Looking at my '4' file in \User Data\Default\databases\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0
    does indeed show that it was last modified April 2016.

It's just that, for me, only replacing the indexeddb folder didn't do anything. I didn't get my styles back until I also added back the databases folder.
    So is there something I'm doing wrong perhaps? Or something wrong with chrome or whatnot...

Thanks for explaining the errors. I figured they probably aren't anything important. Wanted to check just in case though.

EDIT: I reinstalled your version, while more closely paying attention to your instructions and it worked properly this time. Only had to replace the indexeddb folder.
    But Stylish doesn't stay enabled anymore, after closing and re-opening Chrome. Is that normal? Because that's really annoying.
    I have one other unpacked extension and that stays enabled. It shows the 'Disable developer mode extensions' popup but that's fine.
  • Nope. Not normal. Yes, that'd be annoying. I use Chromium so I get no warnings, but I just double-checked in Chrome and clicking "Cancel" in the warning leaves it enabled. My only suggestion would be to try uninstalling/re-installing again.
  • Nope. Not normal. Yes, that'd be annoying. I use Chromium so I get no warnings, but I just double-checked in Chrome and clicking "Cancel" in the warning leaves it enabled. My only suggestion would be to try uninstalling/re-installing again.

Another fault of my own. I somehow had an original version still installed. Didn't notice it before. Got rid of that and now all works properly. Thanks for all the help.

Also just wondering, you mentioned removing analytics. But in the 'Manage styles' page, the option for 'Send anonymous data to Stylish developers for determining user counts' still exists. So I'm just curious if there is still any kind of info being sent somewhere or if it's merely a visual option now, while not actually doing anything.
    In any case, I unchecked it.
    Check it...uncheck it, it doesn't matter. The analytics script is removed, as are the permissions and calls for them. The checkbox is part of the html that I didn't think to remove. It does nothing. You could dig around in the html file and delete it, or hide it with an editor style if it bugs you.

Glad you got it worked out. I'm not gonna update the hacked version, because it was really just a stopgap. A few of us are working on a fork that should be ready soon.

Edit: Btw, once I saw the checkbox I also unchecked it, and I know it does nothing. Instinct, I guess.
  • Ok great. Just wanted to be sure. :)

I'm excited to hear a fork is coming. Where might one find it once it's released?
  • Please at least provide an option to revert to the old UI. It's much more plesant to look at and work with.
  • The fork is at goo.gl/4nyV4m