Release Notes - New Version of Stylish was released

Comments

• I agree with Ana.

"Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create" What? but wont taking away the functionality to disable/delete/edit styles directly from the popup just make it restricting, it wont give people a chance to experiment easily; the only reason I started making styles was because it was just a click away, by chance.

Having the controls all on the pop up made it really easy to see what I was doing, I would have been just been an 'end-user' but because of those easy to access features it enabled me to make my own.
  • edited December 2016 Chrome
    The check boxes were a very useful feature. I honestly can't under that why that functionality was removed. The "Show number of styles active for the current site on the toolbar button" option is less useful now.
    Also: When on youtube.com and I click "Find more styles for this site."button, it takes me to browse google styles, not youtube.
    Also 2: Previously, when you clicked Save when editing a style the Saved button would be greyed/unclickable until there were edits, it was useful as an indicator, 1) so you knew it was saved 2) when Crtl+Zing it would grey out when you were back to where it was last saved.
  • "Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create."

But this update alienates userstyle creators. Without them, there won't be any more styles for the average Stylish user to install.
  • Yandex Browser
    Rahimichi said:

I agree with Ana.

"Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create" What? but wont taking away the functionality to disable/delete/edit styles directly from the popup just make it restricting, it wont give people a chance to experiment easily; the only reason I started making styles was because it was just a click away, by chance.

Having the controls all on the pop up made it really easy to see what I was doing, I would have been just been an 'end-user' but because of those easy to access features it enabled me to make my own.

Yup. That's how I started as well. The thing is, most tweaks don't ever make it to US.O. At least mine. They're too small and personalized to be of much use to anyone else.
  • Looks like useful features have been deprecated. Although the form looks good, function has been stripped.

It's been said already: We need access to toggle multiple styles for individual sites, grouped together in the drop-down menu for specific web pages. I don't know what the problem was with what we had.

Is there a way to roll back/ revert to the previous version? ... please.

Is there a way to roll back/ revert to the previous version? ... please.

You can follow this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/210925/how-to-install-chrome-extensions-in-opera-and-opera-extensions-in-chrome/ then install the version for Opera at https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/stylish/
    This version of Stylish hangs with 100% cpu utilization all the time.

Moreover, unlike ever before, Stylish crashing causes the entire browser to become unresponsive: Unfortunately, I cannot use Chrome with Stylish active.

How can I roll back to a prior, working version?
  • Looks like the previous release was likely:

Version: 1.5.2
    Updated: April 4, 2016

On Github, I see a .crx file for 1.5.1, which is one day older, but I don't see 1.5.2: https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/releases/tag/1.5.1

The commits list shows is a minor edit between 1.5.1 -- https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/commits/master -- no idea if that is a critical fix or not.
  • Thank you, @Jefferson

I'll give that a try. Sure do love Stylish.
  • I agree with you guys. Talked with the wife about it and we decided to add another tab that will contain the installed styles with all the old functionalities - disable, enable, delete and edit. We’re also going to add an on/off button to disable all styles.

Thanks for the feedback!

I appreciate that you're listening to our feedback, but why such a rush for a new update? If you're going to update it with new features, just take your time reworking the old features and release a polished version everyone will be happy with. Otherwise you get a discussion board like this filled with upset people.
  • edited December 2016 Firefox
    NOTE: I TESTED THIS WITHOUT HAVING STYLISH PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED ON THIS CHROME IDENTITY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF STYLISH IS ALREADY INSTALLED.

You can use this method to install 1.5.2 from Github:

(1) Download the extension in ZIP format from this page* --

https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/tree/76dd91930da9cafb517fecb8a7310bc40c5b6e0b

UPDATE: Go to https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/commits/master and use the "<>" icon to the right of the update committed on May 19th per https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/comment/109123/#Comment_109123

Click the green "Clone or download" button then "Download ZIP"

(2) Extract the ZIP to a folder (by default, it will be named stylish-chrome-76dd91930da9cafb517fecb8a7310bc40c5b6e0b)

(3) Add the extension to Chrome.

Open chrome://extensions/ and make sure the box in the upper right for "Developer mode" is checked (if it's not checked, the following won't make any sense...)

Click the "Load unpacked extension" button that appears above the extension list. In the folder chooser dialog, navigate to and select the extracted folder, and click OK.

Stylish 1.5.2 then should appear on the list. Mine has a warning: "There were warnings when trying to install this extension: Unrecognized manifest key 'applications'." Not idea whether that is significant.

As a test, I installed a dark theme for Google. It works! (Didn't try anything complicated, however.)

* To find that page, I started from the April 4th commit that says 1.5.2 and clicked the "<>" icon at the right end of that row: https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/commits/master
  • Jefferson said:

On Github, I see a .crx file for 1.5.1, which is one day older, but I don't see 1.5.2: https://github.com/stylish-userstyles/stylish-chrome/releases/tag/1.5.1

I installed 1.5.1 as an unpacked extension, but it doesn't recognize any of my numerous installed styles. It may be because 1.6.2 is still installed (albeit disabled).

I don't know of a way to export or back up all my styles before risking it.

I am reluctant to uninstall 1.6.2, risking the loss of my many styles, but like lots of other folks here, I feel like like 1.6.2 has been nerfed for use by people who only use other people's styles. It's not as useful as a Web developer tool.

Those of us who have dozens of styles and activate/deactivate them frequently for testing and other purposes are out of luck until @"Justin Hindman" and his wife restore the list of applicable styles that was a key feature of Stylish.
  • bychloe said:

I reinstalled on my other user on chrome and it means I lost all my styles. I have styles that I made for myself that I can't recover.

I agree with what was said above, the toggles need to be back. I use them very often.

I'm really sad with this update because I've lost all the styles I made over the past year.

Sorry to hear that. Until I'll find an automatic solution to avoid this, I'll make sure to remind people to backup their styles before installing a new version, in the announcement post.
    I didn't install a new version, the old one just suddenly stopped working (couldn't even load the settings page for it in both my chrome users) and when I deleted it and reinstalled I had the new one.
    In no particular order,
    • "... and when I deleted it and reinstalled..."
      Chrome will delete your styles if you uninstall Stylish. Disabling it is OK, but don't uninstall it without first making a copy of your database folder [1].

• "On Github, I see a .crx file for 1.5.1, which is one day older, but I don't see 1.5.2:
      Doesn't matter. Chrome won't let you downgrade, and if you unpack the .crx it will install with a different extension ID, alienating the database.

The May 19 pull fixed the update problem [2] [screenshot; circled in green]. If you're going to install Stylish from Github, I recommend that revision or later. You may also want to remove the analytics from the manifest.

• "Mine has a warning: "... Unrecognized manifest key 'applications'.""
      A proprietary Firefox key. Doesn't matter.

• "I installed [Stylish] as an unpacked extension, but it doesn't recognize any of my ... styles."
      Canonical Stylish and your unpacked Stylish are two different extensions as far as Chrome is concerned, each with its own databases. You'll have to copy the database from one to the other and then edit the database file to change the origin. It takes about five minutes. You'll need a hex editor and a sonnet.
    1002 x 431 - 22K
  • Great info, @hideheader. Thanks. I gathered that it was probably something like a different hash used to ID the extension (otherwise, how could they live alongside each other without colliding and—more important—how could Chrome keep different extensions from stepping on each other's data!

@"Justin Hindman": I seem to have found a pattern related to the 100% CPU utilization that causes Chrome to hang (forever, until I kill the process containing Stylish)—It reliably occurs when I use Google. Other sites do not seem to trigger the issue. I will try turning off any scripts that target Google and see if that helps.

(Which will be a heck of a lot easier when you restore the much, much-missed checkboxes. For inspration, by the way, see recent versions of Tampermonkey, whose convenient extension-menu-based script activation mechanism works a treat.)

@hideheader I'd be interested to know if the way I did it will work out like I'm guessing. I downloaded and unpacked the master from Github. If loaded "as is", it registers as a separate extension with a new ID and transferring the IndexedDB folder doesn't work. I'd like to avoid editing the database because I don't know how, and I imagine you'd also need to reverse the process should an official update be suitable to use again.

What I did instead was copy the manifest from an installed "official" version of Stylish, edited it to remove analytics and changed the version number to 1.5.2, then replaced the manifest file in the unpacked version. When I load it now, it gets its usual ID from the manifest, and I can replace the IndexedDB as it is, without editing.

It works, I know that. I'm assuming that since it's unpacked and isn't in the Chrome directory, auto-updates can't be pushed. I'm also assuming that since no changes were made to the database, it'll still be compatible, should the official extension become the better option again.

This was my best guess at the path of least resistance. Is it a decent way to go about it?

Edit: grammar
  • Well, any landing you can walk away from is a good one. I really don't know what will happen. You can always click the 'Update extensions now' button on the Extensions page and find out. If it doesn't update Stylish or overwrite the database, you've got a winner.

I'd guess that if there's a "key" and an "update_url" in the manifest that Chrome would try to update. All update really does is download a signed archive, check the signature, then unzip the archive and replace the folder that held the previous version. I doubt that it cares whether the extension was originally installed from an uncompressed folder or a signed archive, or that the extension folder is not in the profile folder, but again I don't really know.

I do know that there is a compilation of the manifest information in [profile]/Preferences. I shouldn't think it would been updated after your substitution. I don't know whether Chrome looks at that compilation or at the individual manifest.json files when checking for updates. Since Chrome accepted the old database, it's evidently using the individual manifests at least some of the time.

If you're curious you might Inspect the background page and try
    chrome.management.getSelf(function (foo) {console.log(foo)})
    in the Console to see whether it reports what was in the unpacked extension's original manifest, or what is in the manifest you copied from "official" Stylish.
    Thanks. It reports the replaced manifest. As far as the update push, I couldn't force it, but it wasn't pushed to me in the first place. I couldn't force it with a 1.5.1 packed .crx either, so I still don't really know for sure.

The unpacked 1.5.2 version had a pretty annoying bug though. When saving an edit, CodeMirror lost focus and scrolled to the top. Sucks, because everything else functioned as expected. Not sure if that's normal for an unpacked Stylish, or if I mucked it up somehow, but I reverted back to the packed 1.5.1. That's the most recent .crx I could find on Github. I would also assume a packed version will certainly get a forced update once it's pushed to everyone, which would suck if it remains a downgrade, as it is now imo.

Packing 1.5.2 generates a new ID. I assume you'd need a key to keep it the same.
    I'd be interested in learning how to edit the DB so I could try packing a version of 1.5.2 and testing it. I switched to hex in Notepad++, but it looks like gibberish to me. Might be out of my depth there.

Edit: I tested it with no changes, and that CodeMirror irregularity appears to be an issue with unpacked versions of Stylish, whether they've been altered or not.
    How Stylish is choosing styles for suggested styles?
    In Last.fm category I don't see some styles which have more weekly installs than other styles.
  • "Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create."

But this update alienates userstyle creators. Without them, there won't be any more styles for the average Stylish user to install.

Indeed. Interesting as to why there is a big fat "Create New Style" button, if most users don't even do that.
  • In no particular order,

• "... and when I deleted it and reinstalled..."
      Chrome will delete your styles if you uninstall Stylish. Disabling it is OK, but don't uninstall it without first making a copy of your database folder [1].
    I am well aware of this. I was given no other option as I couldn't even go into the settings page for stylish. All I could do was enable it or disable it or delete it. (This was in my first comment that was not replied to). Try not to take quotes out of context.
    Dante_MS said:

How Stylish is choosing styles for suggested styles?
    In Last.fm category I don't see some styles which have more weekly installs than other styles.

That looks pretty normal. Good reviews are factored in with current-weekly, and to a lesser degree I think, total installs. I've never done the math, but a style with around 20% less weekly installs that has a good review rating will be listed ahead of a style with 20% more weekly installs that has no reviews at all. That margin is wider for poorly reviewed styles. Not sure about styles reviewed as "OK", maybe slightly better than having none?

The review system here needs to be modernized to actually be relevant (especially penalizing styles with no reviews since they can be hard to come by in the current system), but the percentages being used aren't far off from where they should be. The new admin seems focused on driving traffic, so I bet he has plans for voting and reviewing.
    Justin,

I too like to see all the styles activated for the page/domain I'm on by clicking the stylish icon (icon looks good by the way).

And I also create the odd style myself from the management page from time to time and copy in parts of other styles so I can make a custom one for X or Y website that don't have a dark style. I really find this very useful.

From clicking the icon, I do use the manage styles link, and also quite often the find other styles for this page/site.

Creating a new style for X page direct from clicking the icon, well I can live without that. As long as its still on the manage styles page.

But I do rely on clicking the icon and seeing a all the active 'on' styles the site/page has called up. That is useful.

Other.
    I use Opera latest, so some love there would be good. Although for the time being I use the Chrome add-on version. Updating the Opera add-on will be good.

And, from the manage all styles page/window. An easy option to backup ALL styles (active and disabled) to external file. Set the path and maybe allow auto option per X days/weeks. And also option to overwrite or create new backup _v0001, _v0002, etc.

Very important to have this I think.
  • I'd like to throw my vote in for getting the checkmarks back. Trying out multiple styles on a site is much more annoying with the full page listing of all my styles, and I have to manually find the ones for a particular site as opposed to the extension giving them to me on click.

Please bring the simple checkboxes back.
  • LOOOOOOOVVVEEE the new look!

However, could you bring back the feature to change webstyles directly from the extension icon by clicking on the checkboxes....., rather than having us redirected to a completely new tab/window to achieve the same?

Other than that, thank you for this God_send ext mate, cheers!!!

• I create styles, and today I see you updated Stylish. I can see you made it easier for users who don't create styles, but you did away with the ease for the creators to make styles.

How about putting in a option to check, to bring that ease back. You could call it advance features or something.

Being able to quickly click the Stylish icon, and turn off, or on, edit a style is very important for the creators of styles, including many users.

I completely understand your bigger picture idea. But I don't see why you couldn't give creators a option to return those quick access features that we love. Creators are important too.

• Can you fix this

Will be fixed in the next released version (coming very soon)
  • ihti27 said:

I agree with you guys. Talked with the wife about it and we decided to add another tab that will contain the installed styles with all the old functionalities - disable, enable, delete and edit. We’re also going to add an on/off button to disable all styles.

Thanks for the feedback!

I appreciate that you're listening to our feedback, but why such a rush for a new update? If you're going to update it with new features, just take your time reworking the old features and release a polished version everyone will be happy with. Otherwise you get a discussion board like this filled with upset people.
    Frankly, I didn't think having these functionalities removed from the front is a big deal. They're still available in the 'Manage Styles' page or right click. But anyway, got the picture and am adjusting it.
  • catcat520 said:
    I'll probably have something out for Chrome sometime around the beginning of January, so feel free to submit PRs between now and then and I'll do my best to include them.
    I'm actually planning to have the new version live sometime next week. Wanted to give you heads up.
  • The new stylish for Chrome is nice. I think you and your wife did a great job. Thanks. If I could jump on the band wagon with a suggestion, maybe if you cared to shrink up the new menu a bit and give us back our options at the bottom, maybe? then we could have the best of both worlds. A couple little pull out menus at the bottom wouldnt shrink it that much. And for me the new icon is working correctly. Do your thing man dont let people yank your chain. Thanks for your work. DanaMW

Thanks for the positive feedback man! It’s good to hear. I’m going to bring back all the previous style management functionalities within the new UI and we won't need pull out menus. Should be out sometime next week.