Hebrew localization is broken

edited March 2008 in Stylish
The Hebrew (he-IL) localization of Stylish is broken due to some overzealous translation of entity names in edit.dtd:

<!ENTITY basicoutro "לחץ\י &amp;תצוגה מקדימה; כדי לראות זמנית את השינויים שהסגנון יעשה. לחץ\י &שמור; כדי להחיל את הסגנון ולסגור את הדו שיח.למרות שרוב הסגנונות משפיעים מיידית, חלקם דורשים לאתחל את היישום.">
Should be:
<!ENTITY basicoutro "לחץ\י &preview; כדי לראות זמנית את השינויים שהסגנון יעשה. לחץ\י &save; כדי להחיל את הסגנון ולסגור את הדו שיח.למרות שרוב הסגנונות משפיעים מיידית, חלקם דורשים לאתחל את היישום.">
(I would also change the backslashes to slashes everywhere, but that's a just matter of style).

Currently, people are getting ugly XUL error messages, complaining , and uninstalling: http://mozilla.org.il/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6058

Comments

• Is it just that one entity?
  • edited March 2008
    Yes, just that entity, as far as I could tell.
  • edited March 2008
    That said, there are some serious issues with the quality of the Hebrew localization:

* The text area used to edit stylesheets should be LTR (left-to-right), because CSS is always in English. Editing LTR text (such as a stylesheet) in an RTL control is painful. I'm not sure how easy this is to fix (everything seems to be RTL by default on Hebrew firefox), but nobody said that localization is easy :-)

* Some of the translations are either plain wrong, or literal translations of English technical terms into Hebrew that no-one can understand. As an extreme example, translating "!important" is silly (and misleading), and translating "URI" is almost as bad.

* Giving the user a choice of using the English UI for stylish (in a Hebrew Firefox) would be helpful, as most (if not all) of Hebrew speakers who are CSS-savvy enough to create and edit stylesheets are much more familiar with the English terms than with the Hebrew ones.
  • edited March 2008
    Also please note that for Hebrew we prefer not to make each sentence for both male and female and to use only male for both. If required we can QA the whole Hebrew translation.

Tomer Cohen
    Firefox Hebrew l10n team
    http://mozilla.org.il
  • This should fix the original problem and maybe makes the code textbox LTR.

If you want to suggest some changes (in the form of updated files), I'd be grateful and would include them right away.
  • Thanks! This is much appreciated. I'll work or improving the translations and send them to you when I have something ready (is there an email address I can use, or should I just post them here inline)?
  • You can send them to jason@userstyles.org. I'll release the next version in a week so that it's at least usable in Hebrew, so if you don't have the fixes by then, I'll include it in the release after that. Thanks!