Bug: No way to opt out of Usage analytics, Styles on-the-go and search result recommendations

I have just installed Stylish because I'm told it's the only way to disable Gmail's horrendous new "Smart Reply" feature.

But when I installed Stylish, I got a welcome page telling me it includes Usage analytics, Styles on-the-go and search result recommendations. There's a button saying "Enable all", but no "disable all" button.

Apparently, something is broken here.

Comments

• Pabli said:
    Thanks but that article is talking about cellphones. I don't have a cellphone.
  • edited September 23 [?]
    https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/gmail/K7NR3ailQl8/tRoHC0WDAgAJ

Oh I noticed now: "you can't turn Smart Reply off."

So probably it will be possible with stylish (better use stylus), but I don't have this option in my country so I can't help you.
  • Lee Bee said:

But when I installed Stylish, I got a welcome page telling me it includes Usage analytics, Styles on-the-go and search result recommendations. There's a button saying "Enable all", but no "disable all" button.

What version? In 3.1.8 on the Mozilla Add-ons site, those behaviors are disabled by default.
  • Yes, it's 3.1.8. I'm glad those behaviors are disbaled by default but the welcome screen didn't make that clear, it just listed the three features with a button below saying "enable all" which is vague! There should be checkboxes for each one.
  • The page is here:
    moz-extension://28d39a23-5dcb-479a-8abf-e05f6f7b66ff/welcome.html
  • If you want checkboxes, go to "Manage All Styles" and look in the lower left column.

moz-extension://your-code-varies/manage.html
  • Thanks, Jefferson. Those options are extremely well hidden and it took me a while to find them! I don't know how people are expected to know that the three little dots in the corner lead to a hidden menu, or that "Manage all styles" contains the preferences. This whole add-on seems quite confusing. Not to mention the add-on is very creepy, wanting to do these things. If it wasn't needed to use Gmail, I would not want to touch this add-on.

• You aren't forced to use Stylish. The Stylus extension is an option: https://add0n.com/stylus.html
  • Thanks, but as far as I am aware, Stylish is the only solution to the Gmail problem.
  • Lee Bee said:

Thanks, but as far as I am aware, Stylish is the only solution to the Gmail problem.

That's puzzling. Stylish and Stylus both inject user styles into pages. Why would only one of them work on Gmail?
  • Similarly, but not identically. Have you tried it yourself?
  • o! said:

Similarly, but not identically. Have you tried it yourself?

I used Stylish 2.x for Firefox 56 and earlier. I use Stylus in Firefox 57 and later. I cannot think of a reason I would need both. What user style works differently between different injector extensions?
  • Evidently Lee Bee's Gmail style. Have you tried it yourself?
  • o! said:

Evidently Lee Bee's Gmail style. Have you tried it yourself?

I don't think I've ever used any style rules for Gmail. I hardly use Gmail in a browser.