Can't Install Stylish (July 2018)
The Stylish extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Opera are currently unavailable for installation on the browser add-on sites. What can you do?
Here are some unofficial solutions.
1. If you have never installed Stylish and you want to install a theme.
You can install a different extension with similar features, and then install the theme.
Forum users most often suggest Stylus, which is available from:
- Chrome Extensions Site: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylus/clngdbkpkpeebahjckkjfobafhncgmne
- Firefox Add-ons Site: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/styl-us/
- Opera Add-ons Site: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/stylus/
Another option is xStyle, which is available from:
- Chrome Extensions Site: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/xstyle/hncgkmhphmncjohllpoleelnibpmccpj
- Firefox Add-ons Site: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/xstyle/
2. If you still have Stylish installed but it is disabled.
You do not need to reinstall. You can re-enable Stylish on your browser's Extensions page:
- Chrome: menu button > More tools > Extensions
- Firefox: menu button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons > Extensions
- Opera: O menu > Extensions, or on Mac, View menu > Show Extensions
Note: You may wish to review your settings related to data sharing. These are set on the "Manage All Styles" page in Stylish. It's the checkbox for "Send anonymous data to Stylish developers" — that might not be as anonymous as it sounds.
3. If you previously used Stylish and uninstalled it, and you now want to reinstall.
There is no official repository for old versions of the Stylish extension. Users have shared the following unofficial links, which you can use at your own risk.
- Chrome (and maybe Opera?): https://crx.dam.io/ext/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe.html
Click 2.0.1 to download a ZIP archive of the extension. UnZip the archive to a folder, for example, you named Stylish201. Then in Chrome, open the Extensions page and enable Developer Mode. You then will see a LOAD UNPACKED link. Click that, point Chrome to your Stylish201 folder, and Chrome should load it. I don't know whether the unpacked version can access the user styles from the previously installed version. If not, I suggest removing it and using a different extension, and disabling Developer Mode.
- Firefox Quantum (57+): https://www.jeffersonscher.com/temp/Stylish301Fx/
- Firefox 56 and earlier: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/temp/Stylish211Fx/
Why is this happening?!
That is the subject of many other threads you can find further down the forum. You can review Mozilla's notice here: https://blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/c635229f-7aa0-44c5-914f-80c590949071.html.