Notice: The devs are no longer actively involved in the forum, so any bug reports regarding the Stylish extension or this website should be sent to them directly at contact@userstyles.org.
Changing your Avatar.
The only way to currently change a forum avatar is through Gravatar.com. The email address used for your Userstyles.org account must be one of the email addresses that is registered to your Gravatar account.

Thunderbird for low vision

edited November 2007 in Style Requests
Hello,
I'm visually impaired, have little computer skills and would love to use Thunderbird as a replacement for my old but still usable Eudora 3 Not being able to use Thunderbird is a major obstacle to changing to Linux.
Would anyone be interested to develop a 'low-vision' style? This would help me greatly in reading mail and would improve the usage of Thunderbird for our kind of users.
Any help woiuld be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Dirk

Comments

• what sort of changes are you looking for?
  • Hi CHoGGi,
    Thanks for your quick reply.

For example:
    1. The font size of a mailbox is much too small for me
    2. More space on the desktop, i.e. remove the folder list (that is easy for me) but then you need an entry in the menu bar: 'Mailbox' (just like Eudora) where a dropdown menu shows the folder list. Preferably folders accessible via key combinations.

For a start, this would already help a great deal.
    The main problems are too small fonts. Reading mail goes rather well.
    I have to reinstall Thunderbird for a detailed list.
    Thanks in advance for reading this,
    Kind regards,
    Dirk
  • edited November 2007
    @namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul); #threadTree treechildren{font-size:2em!important} #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell(read){background-color:green!important} #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell(unread){background-color:red!important} #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell,#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text{color:white!important} #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected,focus){color:blue!important}if you look in the tb program folder goto chrome and extract classic.jar then open skin\classic\messenger\mailWindow1.css theres some more things you can change

2. not sure if this is what you want. goto view>toolbars>customize then add the folder location drop list
    you can use #folderLocationPopup treechildren{font-size:2em!important} to change the drop menuitems font size

edit: i needed to restart tb to see the changes (you can use mr tech local install to add restart to the file menu)
  • Hello ChoGGI,
    Great! Many thanks for your help.
    I got TB working, will try your changes this weekend and report findings.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Dirk
  • btw see if this works better for making website fonts bigger (instead of tools>options>content>font)
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml); body,body *:not(:empty){font-size-adjust:.8!important}
  • Hello ChoGGI,
    Maybe you overestimate me when you write:
    [quote]
    if you look in the tb program folder goto chrome and extract classic.jar then open skin\classic\messenger\mailWindow1.css theres some more things you can change
    [/quote]

- I can find classic.jar in the directory you specify.
    - What means 'extract'? When I open it in a text editor I do not know what to do any further.
    - Nowhere I can find 'mailWindow1.css' on my system.

- What should I do with:
    [quote]
    @namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
    #threadTree treechildren{font-size:2em!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell(read){background-color:green!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell(unread){background-color:red!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell,#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text{color:white!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected,focus){color:blue!important}
    [/quote]
    Probably past it in somewhere?

[quote]
    2. not sure if this is what you want. goto view>toolbars>customize
    [/quote]
    This is not what I mean. What I mean is: when you look at TB you see a row:
    File Edit View Go Message Extra Help
    (translated from the Dutch TB) For me it should be something like
    File Edit View Go Mailbox Message Extra Help

When clicking on Mailbox a dropdown menu should open with(for example):
    dirk@here.nl
    Mailbox IN (17)
    Mailbox out
    Trash
    etc. etc.
    Local Folders

From that list I select a mailbox. The mailbox opens and I see the list of all mails that fills the complete desktop from the left to the right side. The font shoudl be very large.
    When selecting a mail the mail opens.
    Visibility of individual mails can already be adjusted real fine.

-[quote]
    (you can use mr tech local install to add restart to the file menu)
    [/quote]
    This I do not understand. What is 'mr tech'?.

Maybe the matter is too complicated for me.
    When this is too much trouble for you, please say so.
    Kind regards,
    Dirk
  • edited November 2007
    for one use blockquote not quote :) (or the nifty little quote button)
    - I can find classic.jar in the directory you specify.
    - What means 'extract'? When I open it in a text editor I do not know what to do any further.
    - Nowhere I can find 'mailWindow1.css' on my system.
    you dont need to do that, its just if you wanted to change the colours for some other things or give you some ideas for other things to change
    that jar is a zip file so you would need to use an unzipping program to open it (7-zip or something)
    - What should I do with:
    [quote]
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell(read){background-color:green!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell(unread){background-color:red!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell,#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text{color:white!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected,focus){color:blue!important}
    [/quote]
    Probably past it in somewhere?
    after you install stylish in tb goto goto view>toolbars>customize then add the stylish button to your toolbar (it might be in the statusbar i forget) after you add it then click on it and goto write style then paste that text
    This is not what I mean. What I mean is: when you look at TB you see a row:
    File Edit View Go Message Extra Help
    (translated from the Dutch TB) For me it should be something like
    File Edit View Go Mailbox Message Extra Help

When clicking on Mailbox a dropdown menu should open with(for example):
    dirk@here.nl
    Mailbox IN (17)
    Mailbox out
    Trash
    etc. etc.
    Local Folders

From that list I select a mailbox. The mailbox opens and I see the list of all mails that fills the complete desktop from the left to the right side. The font shoudl be very large.
    When selecting a mail the mail opens.
    Visibility of individual mails can already be adjusted real fine.
    it isnt a menu item but it still does the same thing or you can use this extension it adds the mailbox menu item (it seems to be eudora for tb)
    This I do not understand. What is 'mr tech'?.
    its an extension that adds a bunch of stuff (like a restart button) you dont need it i was just mentioning it
  • Hello ChoGGI,
    Absolutly GREAT! It works fine after some problems. Best way for me and maybe for others:

1. Uninstall old Thunderbird, try to start as clean as possible.
    2. Install TB.
    3. Then download Penelope from:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4772
    by following download instructions.
    Install the plugin by going: Tools > Addons: Install now. go to the location where you saved Penelope.
    4. Next download Stylish (the other way around gives strange results) from:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/thunderbird/addon/2108
    Install procedure same as with Penelope
    5. Put Stylish in the Toolbar by going View > Toolbars > Customise: Extra (where you find the Stylish icon)
    6. Enter your code by going Stylish > Write Style, cut and pase and give the style a name, for example, LowVision. Save, restart.
    6. Adjust your code to your low-vision preferences by going:
    Stylish > Manage Styles > select the name of the style, edit the colors and font size of the mailbox font.
    7. Restart to view changes.
    8. Enjoy.

You really helped me enormously.
    Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend,
    Dirk
  • your welcome, let me if theres other stuff you want changed (like removing the left side area)
  • Hello ChoGGI,
    Thanks for the offer. Here are some basic requirements that apply for all visually impaired persons:

- Maximum desktop space for the task to perform. So, no mbox folder list on the lef side (easy to remove by the user, so no need to make it)
    - No mouse needed, everything can also be done with key combinations: selecting mailboxes, sending and receiving mail, etc.
    - All colours adjustable (very important because low vision has many forms). For example, when replying the subject, date, etc. are black on a grey background, i.e. almost unvisible. The name in the To: field is blue on grey, i.e. almost unvisible.
    - All fonts selectable. For example, the content of a mailbox (the list of mails) is now displayed large (perfect!), but the font type has remained the same, i.e. few dots. Hope I'm clear.
    - All font sizes selectable, idem.

This might be a project in itself. I do not know it it's at all possible. Maybe a very well documented style sheet could do the trick?
    Thanks in advance,
    Dirk
  • edited November 2007
    - No mouse needed, everything can also be done with key combinations: selecting mailboxes, sending and receiving mail, etc.
    might be workable with xbl (not really sure though)
    - All colours adjustable (very important because low vision has many forms). For example, when replying the subject, date, etc. are black on a grey background, i.e. almost unvisible. The name in the To: field is blue on grey, i.e. almost unvisible.
    couple of changes to the reply box (use background-color if you want to change it)@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul); @-moz-document url-prefix(chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/messengercompose.xul){ /*from bg colour*/ #msgIdentity label{background-color:#FFF!important} /*from: email*/ #msgIdentity .composemenu-text-2{color:green!important;font-weight:bold!important} #msgIdentity .menulist-label, /*subject*/ #msgSubject, /*to:*/ #addressingWidget label:not(.menu-iconic-text){color:red!important;font-weight:bold!important} /*to: email*/ #addressingWidget textbox{color:blue!important;font-weight:bold!important} }

to change the subject, to, from etc when you click on a msg
    #expandedsubjectBox |Subject:
    #expandedfromBox |From:
    #expandedsenderBox |Sender:
    #expandedorganizationBox |Organization:
    #expandedreply-toBox |Reply-To:
    #expandeddateBox |Date:
    #expandedtoBox |To:
    #expandedccBox |Cc:
    #expandedbccBox |Bcc:
    #expandednewsgroupsBox |Newsgroups:
    #expandedfollowup-toBox |Followup-To:
    #expandedtagsBox |Tags:
    #expandedcontent-baseBox |Website:
    #expandeduser-agentBox |User-Agent:

remove the stuff after the | to use it
    #expandeduser-agentBox{color:red!important}

for collapsed
    #collapsedHeaderView *{background-color:#FFF!important}

#collapsedsubjectBox
    #collapsedfromBox
    #collapseddateBox

#collapsedHeaderView label
    #collapsedHeaderView textbox

example:
    #collapsedHeaderView #collapsedsubjectBox label{color:red!important}
    #collapsedHeaderView #collapsedsubjectBox textbox{color:green!important}
    or both
    #collapsedHeaderView #collapsedsubjectBox *{color:red!important}

- All fonts selectable. For example, the content of a mailbox (the list of mails) is now displayed large (perfect!), but the font type has remained the same, i.e. few dots. Hope I'm clear.
    - All font sizes selectable, idem.
    most of the above should be changed if you add font-size:20px!important
    to change the actual font
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text{font-family:'Verdana'!important} (this is for the list of mails)

all headers
    #expandedHeaders>*{font-size:2em!important}
    #collapsedHeaderView label,#collapsedHeaderView textbox{font-size:1.5em!important}
  • Hello ChoGGi,
    Thank a lot. I will try it this week.
    Tried add-ons for keyboard shortcuts (Nostalgy), but add-ons will not install. After installation (download, Tools > Add ons > Install), a message is displayed: "This add-on will be installed when Thunderbird is restarted".
    After restarting Nostalgy does not function, and the message is still visible in Tools > Add-ons.
    Installed add-ons: Penelope, Stylish.
    Maybe not a question for this forum,

Now back to work!
    Have a good week,
    dirk
  • no problems with it here that i can tell (winxp tb2.0.0.9)
    try a new profile and if that works then copy over the settings you want to keep
  • Hi ChoGGi
    Here Win98SE and TB 2.0.0.9
    Tried your suggestion:
    - created new profile, started TB with the new profiel
    - installed Nostalgy. Installation successfull. Keycombinations work.
    - copied the contents of:
    C:\windows\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\pbo0r9ie.New Profile\extensions\nostalgy@alain.frisch
    to other location in same directory (which was empty)
    - restarted TB
    - changed to my old profile.
    - restarted TB
    - Nostalgy does not work

What did I do wrong? Copied the wrong stuff?
    Kind regards,
    dirk
  • edited November 2007
    :) should have been a bit more clear
    you just copied the extension over
    first you should make a backup copy of your old profile folder

then copy the files from your old profile to the new one (C:\windows\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\pbo0r9ie.New Profile)
    prefs.js
    abook.mab
    history.mab
    stylish.rdf
    signons.txt
    and any folders. there might be some more files you need to copy over if you notice anything changed (i don't usually use tb)

there is a chance an option in perfs.js is causing the problem so try the perfs.js first and see if it does it
  • Hello ChoCCi,
    Thanks for your answer, I took a different approach:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
    It describes what it says. So, first I installed the add-ons in (W98)
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\ or C:\Windows\Profiles\\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\\

Then created a new profile in the profile manager: H:\TB
    Then moved the profile to
    H:\TB\
    Maybe the problem with the uninstallable add-ons was caused because TB is installed on C: and the profile is on H:.

Then imported your first piece of code via stylish.
    Everything seems to work.
    Now for the other pieces of code. Will report.
    Kind regards,
    Dirk
  • Jello ChoGGi,
    After experimenting and re-re re installing TB to get a clean an reproducable installation, I found that this code was enough for readable mailboxes:

#threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected,focus){color:yellow!important}
    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text{font-family:'Verdana'!important}

For the mail window, To: name, Subject: something, are not enlarged,
    However that's not so important because you enter little data there.

Another question:
    When experimenting, I found the 2 Pane (Mac style) in Penelope very convenient.
    Is it possible to change and enlarge the font for: Inbox, Draft, Unsent, etc.?
    Kind regards, and thanks in advance,
    Dirk
  • edited November 2007
    Posted By: dirkWhen experimenting, I found the 2 Pane (Mac style) in Penelope very convenient.
    Is it possible to change and enlarge the font for: Inbox, Draft, Unsent, etc.?
    #folderTree treechildren:-moz-tree-row{height:2.5em!important} #folderTree treechildren:-moz-tree-cell-text{font-size:2em!important;font-family:'Verdana'!important}
    Posted By: dirkFor the mail window, To: name, Subject: something, are not enlarged,
    However that's not so important because you enter little data there.
    #addresses-box input,#addresses-box label{font-size:2em!important}you'll need to put this code above the @namespace line it'll give an error but still work (the input is html not xul)
  • Hello ChoGGi,
    Thanks for yoiur quick reply.
    GREAT! That is figuratively and literally.
    The mailbox fonts are really great.

The From: and To: works, but with a 'but'.
    To: name is partially ok, i.e. To is ok, but 'name' is the same small size.

Is it also possible to have less To: fields?
    Thunderbird really becomes usable!
    Kind regards
    dirk
  • Posted By: dirkTo: name is partially ok, i.e. To is ok, but 'name' is the same small size.
    you'll need to put the code above the @namespace line (it'll give an error but it still works) or just remove the @namespace line
    Posted By: dirkIs it also possible to have less To: fields?
    what do you mean?
  • Hello ChoGGi,
    When creating a new message you see a pane:
    To: name
    empty line (after entering a name in the first To: field and putting thecursor in this field, a To: appears)
    empty line (see previous)
    empty line (see previoius)

These empty fields eats up a lot of real estate.
    However, on second thought, it's a bad idea to remove them.

A better idea: a collapsable header, like the "Header Toggle" extension. That's a super extension when _reading_ mail because it gives you a lot of extra real estate.
    I did not find such an extension yet.

Will report on your other suggestion.
    Kind regards,
    Dirk
  • this gets rids of the extra to: fields but i'm having some trouble with the height
    #addressingWidget .dummy-row{display:none!important}
  • Hello ChoGGi,
    Indedd, the To:'s are gone, as well as the separation lines, but the space occupied is still the same. So, no gain in real estate.

Kind regards, and thanks for yoir quick help.
    Dirk