Initiating the big Userstyles Style Cleanup

edited September 5 in Style Reviews Chrome
Hi all,

We are constantly amazed by the incredible styles people have been creating here over the years.
The level of creativity is inspiring and millions of people all over the world have already installed and enjoyed these styles.

As with every user-generated-content platform, at some point some content can become obsolete and as users bump into such content more and more, they get a bad impression on the entire library of styles, unjustifiably.

This is why we've initiated a cleanup project. It's a process that's going to take some time, but we hope that gradually we'll reach to a point where we have only functioning styles appearing in top results.

What can you do?
If you're a style owner, please go over your styles, delete ones that are broken and you don't feel like fixing and ones you do want to fix, try to do it within the next few days or archive them while you work on them (you can always reinstate them).

If you have styles that require special configuration, make sure it's written clearly and concisely in the description.

As a user of styles, be nice. You're using free styles that people have spent time creating for you. The least you can do is make sure you read instructions, and more importantly, give the style owner the chance to fix the problem before you give them a bad rating. You can always update your rating if you wish to.

Happy cleanup :)

Comments

• A cleanup certainly is a good thing.
    Is there any way to report old and broken styles? Because the problematic ones are the abandoned ones, not from people who come here and read this.
    Voting it down doesn't really help for a style that is 8 years old and has 50 upvotes.

• Sure. You can send PM me with the list or send it through this email: contact@userstyles.org.
    Any help will be appreciated!
  • edited May 30 Chrome
    Nimi L said:

(edit) As a user of styles, be nice.

Slightly offtopic.

I would say as a member, whether a developer/mod/admin/user/passer by of this or any place on the internet you should be nice (goes without saying, right?

Wrong, this should be true always, not just sometimes, or whenever the mood strikes you or most of the times. :)

The only thing I can suggest is a code of conduct implemented at your leisure that is actionable, and every one should have to agree to, like they do in GitHub and other communities.

Ive read and come across pretty hairy things in here in my short membership, and even though Im thick skinned and I understand the nature of the internet, I feel letting certain attitudes and archaic mindsets shouldn't be allowed/condoned or put up with anymore at this day and age in any communities...

If you need more moderators Im sure many long time/trusted users with cool heads will be able to step up because implementing a code of conduct requires more admin/moderator activity.

Regards.
  • J0k3r said:

Nimi L said:

(edit) As a user of styles, be nice.

Slightly offtopic.

I would say as a member, whether a developer/mod/admin/user/passer by of this or any place on the internet you should be nice (goes without saying, right?

Wrong, this should be true always, not just sometimes, or whenever the mood strikes you or most of the times. :)

The only thing I can suggest is a code of conduct implemented at your leisure that is actionable, and every one should have to agree to, like they do in GitHub and other communities.

Ive read and come across pretty hairy things in here in my short membership, and even though Im thick skinned and I understand the nature of the internet, I feel letting certain attitudes and archaic mindsets shouldn't be allowed/condoned or put up with anymore at this day and age in any communities...

If you need more moderators Im sure many long time/trusted users with cool heads will be able to step up because implementing a code of conduct requires more admin/moderator activity.

Regards.
    I agree, and would be happy to open on the forum a discussion about what's an acceptable behavior when commenting about a style. If you'd like to lead this discussion, it'll be appreciated.
  • Nimi L said:

I agree, and would be happy to open on the forum a discussion about what's an acceptable behavior when commenting about a style. If you'd like to lead this discussion, it'll be appreciated.

Done https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/66797/implementing-a-code-of-conduct-in-the-community#latest

But this is not just for style reviews :) thats really not how its supposed to work.

• You can send PM me with the list or send it through this email: contact@userstyles.org

Thank you, I will do that.

• J0k3r said:

More like somebody told him the truth and it hurt his feelings, so he'd like you to make this a safe-space for him to troll.

He's more than likely referring to me, because he didn't seem to appreciate getting called out on his BS. I started out telling him that asking questions about Firefox while spoofing a Chrome UA from 3 years ago was "unwise", which was the politest possible adjective. When he responded with more nonsense, I definitely inferred that he's an asshole and a moron because, well, he's both.

US.o has never put up with racism/sexism or general bigotry, and obviously every other word shouldn't be a four letter one, but it's also a place where adults discuss code. US.o attracts a lot of trolls who steal code, and/or make sockpuppet accounts to upvote their own styles and downvote competitors. One of the telltale signs is users spoofing UAs and IPs. Whether or not he falls into that category is irrelevant. Asking questions about FF while spoofing a Chrome UA is "unwise" regardless.

@"Nimi L" You may want to do a little research before asking any random bozo to "lead this discussion". This one's username checks out.
  • J0k3r said:

More like somebody told him the truth and it hurt his feelings, so he'd like you to make this a safe-space for him to troll.

He's more than likely referring to me, because he didn't seem to appreciate getting called out on his BS. I started out telling him that asking questions about Firefox while spoofing a Chrome UA from 3 years ago was "unwise", which was the politest possible adjective. When he responded with more nonsense, I definitely inferred that he's an asshole and a moron because, well, he's both.

US.o has never put up with racism/sexism or general bigotry, and obviously every other word shouldn't be a four letter one, but it's also a place where adults discuss code. US.o attracts a lot of trolls who steal code, and/or make sockpuppet accounts to upvote their own styles and downvote competitors. One of the telltale signs is users spoofing UAs and IPs. Whether or not he falls into that category is irrelevant. Asking questions about FF while spoofing a Chrome UA is "unwise" regardless.

@"Nimi L" You may want to do a little research before asking any random bozo to "lead this discussion". This one's username checks out.
    You're all over the place and not sure what's the point here. The whole point of a code of conduct is to make sure everything written is to the point, without using unnecessary language to communicate it. Is using words like 'Asshole' and 'moron' really something you needed in order to make yourself clear? Frankly it'll just make people ignore everything else you've written, since most people don't like engaging with such language.

I'm not deleting your comment, because I think it's important to have this discussion. There are always different opinions about most things in the world. Please do try to share yours using language the rest of us will feel comfortable reading.

Regardless, if you're having issues with a certain user, you can always PM me and I'll handle it.
  • Nimi L said:

Is using words like 'Asshole' and 'moron' really something you needed in order to make yourself clear?

Are we pretending that's how the internet works? Are we pretending that's not how US.o has always been, or is currently? You're not gonna need to scroll too far in style reviews to see titles containing this vile profanity which is so offensive. You probably won't escape it on Youtube or Reddit, or social media either. In fact, you should probably just avoid the internet altogether.

Moderators across the internet police the worst of it, but you'd need to automate censorship to achieve the type of safe space you're talking about. Every site can do that. I bet the only reason they don't is because users don't like censorship.
    Nimi L said:

Frankly it'll just make people ignore everything else you've written, since most people don't like engaging with such language.

What type of Pleasantville reality are you living in?
    Nimi L said:

I'm not deleting your comment

Thanks?
    Nimi L said:

The whole point of a code of conduct is to make sure everything written is to the point, without using unnecessary language to communicate it.

How very corporate of you. Never turn off safe-search, it would blow your mind!
    Nimi L said:

You're all over the place and not sure what's the point here.

To be fair, you stopped reading after the vile profanity. That may be how you missed the point.

Before showing up to start pushing your new Android spyware, there wasn't a peep out of "Team Stylish" for months. Don't know exactly how many, but quite a while. You guys never respond to complaints here, and rarely have a back and forth with anyone. Some of that is because users know you're not gonna fix things you've broken in Stylish and US.o, so they've stopped bothering responding to you at all.

The point was clear. The user complaining about his offended sensibilities, is just butthurt because he got told off for being a jackass. Seems like the first random borderline troll willing to talk to you is qualified to lead the discussion on some delusional code of conduct. Even if you decide to follow through with the type of censorship you seem to think is status-quo, how would this not be led by one of you?

Anyway, if that's what you have in mind, my days are numbered here. I wouldn't like the site you're talking about anyway.

• Ah come on kids, be good.

Anagrammar, you have to admit that you easily use offensive language, may it be habit, may it be a mood. It was unnecessary confrontation and aggressive behaviour.

Still, imho some clear/explicit language is tolerable. It's not nice but we also have to deal with it in real life. I tend to just ignore personal insults that are not on topic or don't answer anymore.

In my eyes we don't need a code of conduct with stricter rules. We already have the forum guidelines that care about stuff like nationalism and the moderators are using their granted rights responsibly as far as I can tell. If it wasn't like that, maybe some more precise rules would be necessary, but I don't want to force every moderator to be a lawyer and don't know who would do it voluntarily.

What may be helpful though is the ability to lock a thread?!

By the way now the Cleanup-thread also became a code of conduct thread...
  • edited May 31 Firefox
    I'm probably about to get purged considering that after I stopped supporting my old style I didn't upload the new one as it isn't compatible with Stylish. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Anagrammar, you have to admit that you easily use offensive language, may it be habit, may it be a mood.

You're making a generalization based off of knowing me on other platforms. Go through my US.o history. Unless we're including words like "ass" or "shit", in all my years here, I seriously doubt you'll find a grand total of "offensive words" you couldn't count on one hand.

It was unnecessary confrontation and aggressive behaviour.

See, I usually ask myself "What would stonecrusher do?". Then I remember that I'm capable of stating my own opinions as if they're facts. First of all, I bit my tongue hard in the initial response:

Asking a question about FF while spoofing a Chrome UA is unwise for obvious reasons. Spoofing a Chrome UA from over 3 years ago makes zero sense though.

When he doubled down on the stupid, I INFERRED that he is an asshole and a moron. Much classier.

This is a help forum which displays UA strings because answers to questions tend to depend on which browser you're using. The only reason you'd ask a question about FF while spoofing a Chrome UA, is because you're an asshole who doesn't care about wasting other people's time. The only reason you'd spoof a UA string from 3+ years ago, is because you're a moron.

US.o attracts trolls. I'm not gonna be gaslighted when they deflect in their responses to being called out on their shadiness:
    J0k3r said:

What the forums say or not is not to be used as a definitive answer, I can make that look like anything I want, not hard ;)

• edited May 31 Firefox

Before showing up to start pushing your new Android spyware, there wasn't a peep out of "Team Stylish" for months. Don't know exactly how many, but quite a while. You guys never respond to complaints here, and rarely have a back and forth with anyone. Some of that is because users know you're not gonna fix things you've broken in Stylish and US.o, so they've stopped bothering responding to you at all.

Truer words have never been spoken

• edited June 1 Firefox

You're making a generalization based off of knowing me on other platforms

right, my bad

See, I usually ask myself "What would stonecrusher do?"

And I hope you look at my picture on your wall in a humble way while doing this.

He missed to give info about his browser, you were assuming the user agent info given by the forum would be correct. A simple misunderstanding, both of you made errors. After asking, he subsequently gave you his browser info.

Could have been end of the story here, but you already assumed he would be an idiot (" I bit my tongue hard in the initial response") and he would be spoofing his UA.
    You don't even know if he is spoofing (could be VM, could be grandma's old notebook, could be forum error, could be the effect of a privacy extension and so on) and it's simply none of your business if he does and what reason may be behind it. You can rate that idiotic in your mind but you don't have to tell people they are morons and assholes because they do something you can't imagine making sense in any way.

You made a wrong assumption, he missed to give info in the first place. Get over it.

Undersky wrote

I pretty much feel the same way

• And I hope you look at my picture on your wall in a humble way while doing this.

More like a shrine, really. Big fan.

...if he is spoofing...it's simply none of your business if he does and what reason may be behind it

In what world is it none of my business? Displaying UA strings on posts was implemented specifically so there would be no need to guess. It has been a standard forum feature for years now. If you ask questions here while displaying the opposite UA on your post, you need to clarify, or it's everybody's business, particularly anyone who's already wasted their time helping you.

Users can post questions without needing to specify, as long as the correct UA is displayed on the post. What users can't do, is fail to clarify when the opposite UA is displayed on the post. As a matter of protocol, or even just common courtesy, this is not debatable.

All that being said, there's plenty of acceptable responses which would all be some version of "I wasn't aware of that", or "I forgot". Annoying, but understandable. That's the type of response I expected.

You don't even know if he is spoofing

J0k3r said:

What the forums say or not is not to be used as a definitive answer, I can make that look like anything I want, not hard ;)

This was his original response. How else could you possibly interpret "I can make that look like anything I want, not hard ;)"?

...but you already assumed he would be an idiot (" I bit my tongue hard in the initial response") and he would be spoofing his UA.

What are you even talking about? He had already told me he was spoofing his UA. In spite of that, I bit my tongue and told him that doing so was "unwise".

He then proceeded to post a whole different explanation, which I can only assume is some fever-dream he had:
    J0k3r said:

Imagine now I have several machines or virtual machines, each running its own OS and various browsers or versions, I could have logged into any of them with whatever browser I happen to be fondling at that time, to ask a question here. In fact I often do this.

Homeboy is living in The Matrix.

A simple misunderstanding, both of you made errors.

Only in the summary of events you concocted to fit that narrative. Practically every point you made was factually inaccurate. Except for the fact that you're my idol, which goes without saying.
    undersky said:

I checked it out, it was actually ~10 straight months without a single forum reply or post made by any of the SimilarWeb folks, aka "Team Stylish". Truer words.
  • Hey @"Nimi L" , regarding archiving styles, I recently ran into the following style:

https://userstyles.org/styles/150329/youtube-logo-you

I'm a little confused as to why this was archived, because Userstyles.org has never censored creative content in this manner that I'm aware of. Can you clarify for the user base which part of the Stylish Terms of Use now applies to "Contains inappropriate words"?

Thanks.

• edited June 3 Firefox
    calico said:

Hey @"Nimi L" , regarding archiving styles, I recently ran into the following style:

I'm a little confused as to why this was archived, because Userstyles.org has never censored creative content in this manner that I'm aware of. Can you clarify for the user base which part of the Stylish Terms of Use now applies to "Contains inappropriate words"?

Thanks.

IF WE BELIEVE, IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION, OR WE DISCOVER, THAT THE WEB STYLE OR UGC PROVIDED BY YOU VIOLATES OR MAY VIOLATE ANY OF THE AFORESAID, WE WILL HAVE THE SOLE AND ABSOLUTE RIGHT TO REMOVE, DELETE AND BAN SUCH UGC, INFORMATION OR WEB STYLE.
    They did followed through, everything's already been stated.
    It seemed natural, subjectively said.
  • calico said:

Hey @"Nimi L" , regarding archiving styles, I recently ran into the following style:

Thanks.

We haven't done serious reviewing of styles for a while now, so that's probably the reason you didn't see such styles deleted in the past. We'd like to take a more proactive part in the content that is available on the site. It doesn't mean we're starting to censor content, but there are certain words that are clearly considered inappropriate, like the one in the style you've mentioned. In these cases, we take action and remove it.

Does that make sense to you?
  • Haaa and now you censor our userstyles ???....
    Why not....
    Continue like that and good luck!
  • edited June 18 Firefox

Why my screenshots is deleted form sever?

• edited June 4 Chrome
    Nimi L said:

It doesn't mean we're starting to censor content....

A rose by any other name...
    Nimi L said:

...but there are certain words that are clearly considered inappropriate...

Subjectively. Context matters. The manner in which society defines inappropriate language has evolved quickly over the last decade or so, and much of what was previously deemed offensive has become ubiquitous. The F-Bomb has become almost commonplace anymore, not that we all like that it has become so.
    Nimi L said:

We haven't done serious reviewing of styles for a while now, so that's probably the reason you didn't see such styles deleted in the past. We'd like to take a more proactive part in the content that is available on the site. It doesn't mean we're starting to censor content, but there are certain words that are clearly considered inappropriate, like the one in the style you've mentioned. In these cases, we take action and remove it.

Does the action make sense? It does, and I don't disagree with the reasoning at all. It's a necessary action wherever user content exists. What I am taking issue with is there is no reference to "appropriate language" in the Stylish Terms of Use document. You've had to invoke SOLE DISCRETION as a means of deciding what constitutes "clearly inappropriate words". It's your right to do so, but when a style author decides to loudly protest their content as being unfairly censored, in my opinion it would be a good thing to be able to direct their attention to a clearly written statement which addresses their complaint. It's a better approach than having to say "Because I said so."
  • calico said:

Nimi L said:

It doesn't mean we're starting to censor content....

A rose by any other name...
    Nimi L said:

...but there are certain words that are clearly considered inappropriate...

Subjectively. Context matters. The manner in which society defines inappropriate language has evolved quickly over the last decade or so, and much of what was previously deemed offensive has become ubiquitous. The F-Bomb has become almost commonplace anymore, not that we all like that it has become so.
    Nimi L said:

Does the action make sense? It does, and I don't disagree with the reasoning at all. It's a necessary action wherever user content exists. What I am taking issue with is there is no reference to "appropriate language" in the Stylish Terms of Use document. You've had to invoke SOLE DISCRETION as a means of deciding what constitutes "clearly inappropriate words". It's your right to do so, but when a style author decides to loudly protest their content as being unfairly censored, in my opinion it would be a good thing to be able to direct their attention to a clearly written statement which addresses their complaint. It's a better approach than having to say "Because I said so."
    I understand your point and it makes sense. We'll look into it and try to upload somewhere to the site a list of what we consider inappropriate content. However, mind that we can't always predict foul and offensive language and the list might be updated from time to time.
  • [...] may not violate any applicable law, including but not limited to: (a) containing hateful content

I am sure "fuck you" is censored in US-television and considered hateful and offensive.

• edited June 4 Chrome

[...] may not violate any applicable law, including but not limited to: (a) containing hateful content

"I am sure "fuck you" is censored in US-television and considered hateful and offensive."

I'm guessing you probably don't view our after 10 pm television. I would have gone with the adult content reference, if I were to make a subjective guess.

• Hmmm...Repair the search in usersyles.org and after lost your time on crazy futility like "Fuck Youtube", that's a good suggestion ?
  • In my world, a little preventive maintenance is never crazy futility.

• Seems that's not a simple maintenance here ...
  • done, i delete it like 80% of my styles till i have the time to update those.
  • edited July 20 Chrome
    não consigo baixar o *Stylish* pelo chrome, o que esta acontecendo?
  • não consigo baixar o *Stylish* pelo chrome, o que esta acontecendo?

Foi removido da loja por causa da coleta de dados. Instale Stylus.