bug: stylish updated creating duplicate [old] styles. feature: import export styles.

[chrome] stylish updated and now i have a ton of duplicated styles, but looking at them some of them appear to be years old, i think it re-imported the old styles from years ago when you changed the database format. you really should have set a property to mark that this has already been done, so it doesn't do it again.

i have hundreds of styles.

does anyone have any ideas how to fix this, besides manually diffing hundreds of styles?
is there any way to to get the manager to tell me the last modification date?
tampermonkey has a much better manager that tells you how old the scripts are since last update.

this would be easily fixable with minimal damage if each time stylish updated it created a backup of the current DB. the user has no way to know when to do a manual backup because hateful google doesn't allow you to require authorization for an extension to update, it just forces the update on you.

it would be really helpful if there was a way to export and import styles and be able to select only part of them for export and import, similar to how firefox session manager works.

what does the "backup all installed" button even do? i see zero functionality to it.

Comments

• edited April 2018 Chrome

I have experienced this bug twice and I have rage quitted on Stylish and installed Stylus because of it.

The first time it happened I didn't know what was happening, I thought it was mere doubles so I just started deleting the doubles then realized too late that the doubles were old versions of styles and there were instances where I deleted the new ones instead of the old. I was lucky to have made backups of my whole google chrome files and it was only a few days ago. I still lost some progress though.

The second time was a few days ago and I didn't make a new back up since the last time it happened. I didn't know it would be a persistent bug and I got annoyed because I had already fixed all the damage but that effort went down the drain so soon.

Aside from the doubles being old styles, the backup import button somehow stops working and it also prevents me from installing new styles, I don't know what's up with that. So I wouldn't only have my current styles broken because of the old styles overwriting the new, it also prevents me from editing/installing/importing anything to fix the issues.

Btw, the "backup all installed" button saves a bin file into your downloads folder so you can use it during an issue but I'd assume you tried it when you have the bug so it didn't work. Mine stopped working during the duplication bug.

• it did it again one needs to go into the folder

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0

and move the old db (which is only titled by some number) to a different old backup directory