How to bold normal paragraph content.

Hi,

If you do a Google search for:
How to Change Color of Visited Links in Chrome, Firefox, Safari?
There's a nice "how to " for changing the color of "visited links" in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
This is very helpful for various color blindness conditions (ie. Chrome's default light purple of visited links looks just like the light blue of un-visited links to me).

If you search that "how to" page for :
A:visited { color: green ! important }
They show how this is done with your Userstyles Chrome Extension. That code works wonderfully for me in your extension. Thank you : )

For even more contrast on Google search results pages, I'd also like to have normal paragraph text bolded. I've hacked around at it and have proved conclusively that I don't know what I'm doing. Btw, this didn't work:
B:normal { font-weight: bold }
(I just guessed that since there already was an "A:" line there, that I should use a "B:" line there (like I said, I'm hacking at it).

My eyes will greatly appreciate any help offered to get the normal paragraph content bolded (while keeping that code that changes the visited page link color to green).

Regards . . .

Comments

• edited December 2017 Firefox

B:normal { font-weight: bold }
    Ehm... no, that's definitely not how it works :-)

I can only guess what you mean by "normal paragraph text". Maybe the description text under the title and url of a search result? If yes, add this:

.st { font-weight:bold !important; }

If not, please provide a screenshot with markings.

• Hi stonecrusher,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've attached a couple pics.

The first pic. shows what I have in Stylist. I'm not sure about the "A:", "B:" and "C:" at the beginning of the lines, or even what that "X:" prefix is supposed to do. Is that "X:" prefix a Stylist thing or a CSS thing? I can't find any docs on Stylist, but maybe there isn't any because some of this is common knowledge for CSS gurus.

The second pic shows what I'm currently seeing on a google search page. Note the visited page is showing as green as desired. However, where it says "The terms below..." in the visited page, or where it says "How fast is your..." in the unvisited page, I'd like that (what I'm calling) "normal paragraph text" to be bolded. I don't care if there's already some bolded text in there that will be less noticeable now that it's all bolded.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards . . .

520 x 187 - 38K
    607 x 207 - 45K
  • Ah, I see.
    Your code is wrong. There is no A: B: C: stuff, the a: comes from choosing the a tag.

Put in this code only and it should work:

a:visited { color: green ! important }
    .st { font-weight:bold !important; }

• Thanks stonecrusher. That works nicely :)

Btw, I now see how the a:vistited tag works. For others interested, there's a discussion of that here: https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_link.asp

If you don't mind me asking, where could I find info about using ".st" or what that means ? I haven't had luck finding anything about how ".st" is used with regard to html or css. Is it an abbreviation for the word style?

Regards. . . .
  • That's just the classname given by the webdesigner of the respective website.
    Either you rightclick and "Inspect element" or press ctrl + shift + i to open the inspector and look through the site structure & html.
    Once you know the name of the element, you can address it in your CSS code.

• Hi stonecrusher,

Sorry for the very late reply. yes, I see what you're talking about. Using Chrome, I searched for the word Test, then right clicked on on a (now) bolded area of a Google search result, right click for Inspect, then I see the "st" classname. I then right click in the "st" line, select Copy Element, and we get the whole enchilada: For example,

Test, TEST or Tester may refer to: Test (assessment), an assessment intended to measure the respondents' knowledge or other abilities; Medical test, to detect, diagnose, or monitor diseases. Contents. [hide]. 1 Science and technology; 2 Arts and media; 3 People; 4 Other uses; 5 See also. Science and technology.

Thanks again for you help. I appreciate it :-)

Regards . . .

• :-) glad I could help