Notice: To Install styles, click the "Show Css Code" button first. The install button will work after that.

How Do I Remove Thin Black Lines from Youtube Video?

Hi guys,

I got a style in youtube thats got a thin black border on top and in the bottom of the video player. I'd like to remove them. Below is my code and a screenshot where circled in red is what I'm talking about. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

@-moz-document domain(youtube.com), regexp("https?://(.*)?google\\.com.*/hovercard/.*=.*www\\.youtube\\.com.*") {

/* ======================= Large Youtube Player Section ======================= */

/* Alternative Video Size
html .watch-stage-mode .player-width, html .watch-stage-mode #player {
width: 100% !important;
width: calc(100vw - 0px) !important;
margin-left: 0 !important;
left: 0 !important;
}*/

html .watch-stage-mode .player-width, html .watch-stage-mode #player {
width: calc(((95vh - 30px) * 16) / 9) !important;
margin: 0 auto !important;
margin-top: -5px !important;
}

html .watch-stage-mode #placeholder-player .player-width {
}

html .watch-stage-mode .player-height {
height: 95vh !important;
height: calc(100vh - 52px - 18px) !important;
/* YouTube top bar & scrollbar. */;
}

html .watch-stage-mode .ad-container, html .watch-stage-mode .html5-video-container, html .watch-stage-mode video.video-stream.html5-main-video {
top: 0px !important;
height: 100% !important;
}

html .watch-stage-mode .html5-video-container > .video-ads > .ad-container {
/* Fix for ads bottom bar at the old player. */
bottom: 30px !important;
height: auto !important;
}

html .watch-stage-mode .ad-container.ad-overlay {
/* Fix for banner-style ads. */
top: auto !important;
height: auto !important;
}

html .watch-stage-mode #player-playlist .watch-playlist {
/* Fixing the playlist sidebar (when watching a video from a playlist). */
top: calc(100vh - 52px - 18px - 360px) !important;
height: 480px !important;
}

html .watch-stage-mode .ytp-chrome-bottom {
/* Video control bar for the new player. */
width: calc(100% - 24px) !important;
}

#masthead-positioner {
position: fixed !important;
}

#movie_player > .html5-video-controls > .html5-player-chrome {
/* Making the old player look similar to the new player. */
background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(27,27,27,0) 0%, rgba(27,27,27,0.5) 100%);
}
}
1920 x 1080 - 2M

Comments

• edited November 2017 Chrome
    video::those-are-not-even-actual-borders{please:none!important;}

You're attempting to modify the video resizing code in my WSHH style I gave you a while back, and you're screwing up the aspect ratio. Not to mention, calculations like this:
    top: calc(100vh - 52px - 18px - 360px) !important; are an abomination.

video::those-are-not-even-actual-borders{please:none!important;}

You're attempting to modify the video resizing code in my WSHH style I gave you a while back, and you're screwing up the aspect ratio. Not to mention, calculations like this:
    top: calc(100vh - 52px - 18px - 360px) !important; are an abomination.

You're completely wrong. 1st, this is NOT your style its a style from macsy. 2nd, this is a style for youtube not WSHH.

What would you do differently to fix this?

Well, "macsy" has three published styles. The only one for Youtube doesn't have a single calc in it. I'm not the only one using 16/9 calcs, but the syntax is nearly identical to the style I linked you to a little while ago.

Doesn't matter what site the style is for. Video resizing code is universal, if you use the right selectors. Tricky part is adapting it to the site, which is where you're having issues.

If I cared how you use my code for your own personal styles, I wouldn't have given it to you in the first place. If you used mine, you screwed it up. If you used someone else's, maybe either one of you screwed it up.

What would you do differently to fix this?

If you screwed up my code, I'd probably tell you how to fix it. Since it's someone else's, show me where you copied it from and I'll look into it.
  • My mistake. The style is actually from Paul Appau that he made for youtube. His style is is called, Blue and Clean Youtube and is located here in userstyles:

https://userstyles.org/styles/137825/blue-and-clean-youtube-by-paul-appau

Its good seeing you on a more positive vibe.

You'd be better off not insinuating that our issues have anything to do with "my vibe". My attitude depends on the situation. I'm fairly "positive" that you've had several other banned accounts here over the course of many years. Your questions are always pertaining to Firefox, yet you post in the forum from Opera because it has a built-in VPN and your IP has likely been banned.

Even if my suspicions aren't accurate, which I highly doubt, you've been posting from this most recent account for well over a year. As recently as a couple weeks ago, you're still asking how to inspect an element. Some people never learn because coding doesn't interest them, but it's pretty much impossible to be as interested as you are, for as long as you've been, and still not know how to do anything.

Why anyone would ever feign stupidity is still a concept I can't wrap my head around, but we've seen it here many times over the years. I think at least some of those were you. If you're just trolling for the hell of it, then you're a lost cause. If you're just looking to be involved, and for some reason feel like you have to pretend to know nothing - you don't. Answer some of the easier questions here. Post questions regarding trickier CSS. Hell, post off-topic shit if you're just looking to chat. Everyone here will notice if you make an effort not to keep pulling the same lame bullshit.

When you get in an argument, don't immediately start calling people racist. It makes you seem like a lunatic. This is the internet. Nobody knows your race, nor do they give a shit. I'm probably wasting my time here, but I can't imagine that you get much out of all the nonsense.

Now, as for the code, player resizing is a legitimate question, as it can get tricky. That said, I still would've ignored you if I hadn't thought you were trying to modify my code. Regardless, I did take a look. Not only are there quite a few issues with the code, but it's for the old Youtube layout, which is probably why there's so many issues. Whether regular or "theater mode", the old YT used multiple parent elements with absolute positioning which was a PITA. It could all be overridden, but the positioning of preview thumbnails was dependent on their original CSS. You couldn't make the size dynamic without breaking them with CSS alone.

I made a bigger default "theater mode" style back in the day. Fixed size, pretty big at 1066x600, and readjusted thumbnail positioning for 100%, 110%, and 125% zoom. At one of those, you'd get it to fit the whole screen, plus the header was hidden till hovered. It's made to change the default old layout into theater mode, so you should not be in theater mode if you install. https://pastebin.com/FqYznXiR

It's pretty silly to be wasting time styling the old layout at this point anyway. Given Google's track record, I doubt the option to revert will be there long. The new theater mode is much easier to make into a large, dynamically sized player. YT did keep forgetting the theater mode setting, so I had to lock the cookie. I did the same for the dark theme cookie.

Anyway, maybe the old code works for you. If you want the dynamic sizing code for the new layout theater mode, just ask. If you wanna argue for a bit, so that you can go back to feigning stupidity while I ignore you, we can do that too.
  • I’d watch your attitude since for a while you’ve been racist at people of color here. If you know my browser is FF why keep complaining? I won't bend to your will. Many people have expressed they don’t like you so why are you here?

For a while I noticed your behavior where you assume things about others you don’t know. You mocked a smart Indian for how he communicated and you wrongly assumed the code I posted was yours and for WSHH. Crazy how people don’t see their own ignorance. There are discrete bias people. But your hate comes from a racist jealousy like a person of color took away your girl. Then you behave like thats normal.

It’s a mystery why people don’t see how stupid they are. Some are born that way it seems. On other forums I’ve noticed users spew insults with your same hateful tone towards others. No doubt you are actually them. You can try to disguise yourself on these forums all you want but its obviously YOU.

Believe it or not you’re not a troll even if you behave like a lonely one. Youre just a miserable old man with no friends. You don’t go out your house while your behavior denotes one who’s a woman hater cuz its VERY clear women dont want you and as a result you hate them for it. As such you pour out your frustration online on others.

Do not judge people from India, Africa, Italy, Mexico, etc. cuz its easy to tell people of other races by their name or grammar. You don’t have the balls to say that to their face so save your breath with your racist shit. Do whatever you want cuz I got a life and a fine Ukrainian gf. Punch the screen while you read this and respond like your usual immature self. I don’t give a shit cuz I’ll ignore you.

As for the YT code I don’t need it from you. I already got it from someone at another forum. Interesting I have no CSS on the net. But I use your CSSes when I want at your expense. Who’s using who and laughing now loser.
  • edited November 2017 Firefox

...I'm probably wasting my time here, ...

That's true.

• you’ve been racist... racist shit.

When you get in an argument, don't immediately start calling people racist. It makes you seem like a lunatic. This is the internet. Nobody knows your race, nor do they give a shit.

Interesting I have no CSS on the net. But I use your CSSes when I want at your expense.

Most of us make styles for ourselves. We share them because others can benefit from work that's already done. It costs us so little at that point, not sharing would be a dick move.

As for the YT code I don’t need it from you.

Dude, it's a copypasta from an old style. Code for the new layout would be a copypasta from a newer style. Use it... Don't use it... Nobody cares. Again, the code is already written. Nobody's jumping through hoops for you.
    calico女 said:

...I'm probably wasting my time here, ...

That's true.

Meh, it was worth a shot. Also, maybe I'm giving him too much credit. The more he speaks, the realer the possibility becomes that we're dealing with someone who is mentally challenged. Maybe he really has been at this for years and still doesn't know how to inspect an element.
  • edited May 2018 Chrome

You'd be better off not insinuating that our issues have anything to do with "my vibe". My attitude depends on the situation. I'm fairly "positive" that you've had several other banned accounts here over the course of many years. Your questions are always pertaining to Firefox, yet you post in the forum from Opera because it has a built-in VPN and your IP has likely been banned.

The banned Ip issue is a total distress. The most VPN providers have even premium IPs banned. The only one I've found to be untouched by misfortune is top secur