Notice: To Install styles, click the "Show Css Code" button first. The install button will work after that.
The devs are no longer actively involved in the forum, so any bug reports regarding the extension or website should be sent to them directly at contact@userstyles.org.

Plain text selector?

edited January 2007 in Style Development
Can't find anything here http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#universal-selector , but is there a selector that allows you to target plain text? Say I wanted all exclamation marks in a specific element to not display?

Comments

• As far as I know, you can neither select elements based on the text within nor select only a portion of a text node.
  • ok thanks. Too bad but I guess that just isn't what css is intended to do...
  • Heh, this was just on Digg.com and Lifehacker.com...it removes extra exclamation marks, but it uses Greasemonkey. Is this what you were thinking of? :)
  • I've been wondering about this for a while. Is there any way that CSS can target a #text node?
  • No. Styles only apply to elements.
  • edited January 2007
    Testing quote function for styling purposes. Can't find delete button, oops.

Edit: You can style text actually, just using the css text properties of the parent element, like text-align, font-size, color, etc.
  • Yes, obviously you can style text, but you're only applying styles to elements - text doesn't exist for the purpose of selectors.

<foo>bar</foo> While DOM-wise foo has a text node as a child, foo * { /*...*/} selects nothing.