Update about Userstyles new design release

Comments

• Waterfox
    I hope we don't play the sad and strange story of the defunct userscript.com...
  • Well... My patience is over.
    Goodbye userstyles.org and hello freestyler.ws
  • Zex said:

This site is a mess now, we need to fork or create an alternative instead of waiting for (developers?) to fix it.
    freestyler.ws is better, but not that good.

Just like how Stylus did for Stylish.

The main problem here is money (as always). Not every developer will spend his time on working for nothing also the host needed.
  • edited May 2017 Chrome
    For the users who can't install styles, it was posted on the webstore Stylish reviews this morning that some additional info is needed to reproduce this problem. I would assume that this thread is being monitored by the devs, so any feedback here would also be helpful. Be as specific as possible, as minor details may be useful.

• edited May 2017 Chrome
    I want to know the schedule of the future.
  • Can you PLEASE do something with the website problems?
  • @"Sergei ZH" I'd be totally fine with a fork of the (previous) website that displays ads so it could be easier for developer to cover the server cost. Also donations.
  • edited May 2017 PaleMoon
    Wish what was NOT broken would have been left alone. Story of the web. If it ain't broken BREAK it! This is as ugly and non useable as can be.

Where is the userstyles.org dark themes??
  • This is awful. I keep checking back in hopes the features lost with this "update" have returned. I really hope someone who actually knows how to upkeep a site like Userstyles forks it off. I was reading the reviews of Freestyler on it's Chrome extension page and it looked like it has it's issues too.
  • edited May 2017 Firefox
    Another thing that surprised me was visiting the site on mobile. It's borked. The layout on both the left and right extends past the sides of the viewport, so the content doesn't fit on the screen. Ironic as the initial impression gives off a 'made for mobile' look. Yet the old design actually worked better on mobile in my experience.

Also, just remembered that searching for 'Github dark' while browsing on mobile returned zero results, yet searching for 'dark' returned 'Github Dark' as the forth result. When installing I was reminded that the custom options are still not present in the new design, sadly.
  • edited May 2017 Chrome
    Still no style settings... This is really important.
  • edited May 2017 Chrome
    Also... No styles available for google.com?
  • Hi All,

I'd like to thank you again for your very helpful feedback. It helped us in significantly shortening the time of bug fixes and urgent feature releases and keep in deadline with our previously published list of releases.

Here's what came out today and on Thursday:
    • Advanced Style Settings was added back – since there are endless test cases for these, it will help us if you can check your styles and let us know if there are issues.
    • Search has been improved - You should be receiving much more accurate results now.
    • Graveyard - we’ve brought back the Graveyard link to the sidebar, while removing adult site styles the ‘Install Style’ buttons from archived styles.
    • UI - the proportions of the style thumbnails on Style Cards were improved so they don’t look stretched anymore.
    • Firefox right-click and middle-click now work as should
    • Comments Order - the Discussions area on Style pages has comments that are sorted from most recent added to least (note the forum is sorted by most recently updated).
    • Preview screenshot - the issue where the main screenshot sometimes didn’t show the main one, was fixed.
    • Style stats were fixed.
    We’re working on adding a line grid to the results pages, adding 'Recently Updated' to the side bar and improving performance of the site. This should be live next week.

That’s it for now. I'll continue to keep you posted.
  • edited May 2017 Chrome
    anyway Advanced Style Settings work now,thank you,keep moving
  • edited May 2017 Waterfox
    catcat520,
    There's no use to quote a half page post just to add your one line. Just think of readers when you post.
  • edited May 2017 Chrome
    @makondo
    i agree,i will think of reader when i post.
    so,dev and admin should think of user(us) when they update this site.
    8-}
    natalieg said:

Advanced Style Settings was added back – since there are endless test cases for these, it will help us if you can check your styles and let us know if there are issues.
    UI - the proportions of the style thumbnails on Style Cards were improved so they don’t look stretched anymore.

Advanced settings are back. Thank you.
    But the additional screenshots are still not shown. Only the main image appears and, if small, becomes distorted and stretched, as in this example:
    https://userstyles.org/styles/126291/light-blue-firefox
    Besides, my licenses appear as "not set".
    natalieg said:

• Advanced Style Settings was added back – since there are endless test cases for these, it will help us if you can check your styles and let us know if there are issues.
    There is a problem with being unable to select new settings for installed styles. I posted a full explanation in a new thread:

https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/55775/style-settings-vs-update-style-style-installed-button

That makes it very difficult to do the testing you would like us to do.
  • Imo style settings button should be there where make donation button is
  • And in "show CSS code" styles who have settings shows /*[[example]]*/ not the code.
  • Jefferson said:

natalieg said:

There is a problem with being unable to select new settings for installed styles. I posted a full explanation in a new thread:

https://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/55775/style-settings-vs-update-style-style-installed-button

That makes it very difficult to do the testing you would like us to do.
    Ontop of this style settings don't seem to save the choices either anymore, they always revert back to default settings whenever page is refreshed.
  • edited May 2017 Chrome
    natalieg said:

• Search has been improved - You should be receiving much more accurate results now.
    great now bring back advanced search options so we can filter our search results even better...
  • Finally! settings are back. Thank you!
  • styles screenshots still sucks =((
  • I really must be missing something. I can search, but there is no way to filter those results? By relevance, date created, rating, popularity? Where are these options?
  • edited May 2017 Chrome

I really must be missing something. I can search, but there is no way to filter those results? By relevance, date created, rating, popularity? Where are these options?

Pretty much because of this --
    natalieg said:

6. Missing Advanced Search - this is not a bug, it's by design. We're made many improvements to style discovery, which we believe delivers a good user experience. Additionally, based on our stats, usage of advanced settings was very low.

7. Missing Related Styles section - also not a bug, but by design since it had low usage and we felt the current improved user discovery funnels are enough. We're open to reconsidering this one if many of the community members think it's required.

They thought no one used them because of their so called "stats" saying the usage was low so they took them out completely.. So now we have to deal with styles showing up in searching that haven't been updated in forever on the front page of the search.

Pretty much because of this --

Is that referring to the filtering options that existed previously though, ie: Sort by relevancy/updated/etc? I can't recall if there was a separate Advanced Search page or not but I constantly used the sort by options and they're sorely missing from the search currently.

The fact that the entirety of the site's contributions come from the users creating the styles and then to make it more difficult in a number of key ways to actually use the site is disheartening. It affects both contributors and users browsing. The stated goal was to 'improve [the] overall user experience' yet this is making it harder to find relevant results. I'd like the people responsible to really consider this aspect continue to take onboard such feedback.

As an example I've tried finding results for the query 'github' and literally 2/14 results on the first page contain styles for Github (the others merely mention it in the description, presumably). Due to the lack of filtering there is no way for a user to further hone what they're looking for. There's no 'search in title' or anything useful such as sorting by last updated, yet despite this the change is considered worthwhile.

Imagine for a moment if Google Images, flickr, or any number or search sites, removed the filtering options, there's no single holy grail algorithm that would provide the results users are after, hence the reason they provide them. The criticisms are coming from a valid place so I do hope things change for the better soon.
  • I just noted changing Labels of styles settings, not chaning Install Key of the setting, nor chaning the code of the style at all, the site engine takes that as an style update in terms of Update Date, thus deploying updates to users, while that was not the behavior with previous design.
    Deploying of style updates are also happening after changing just the descriptions of a style, which site doesn't count as a style update in terms of Update Date.
  • Pretty much because of this --

Is that referring to the filtering options that existed previously though, ie: Sort by relevancy/updated/etc? I can't recall if there was a separate Advanced Search page or not but I constantly used the sort by options and they're sorely missing from the search currently.

The fact that the entirety of the site's contributions come from the users creating the styles and then to make it more difficult in a number of key ways to actually use the site is disheartening. It affects both contributors and users browsing. The stated goal was to 'improve [the] overall user experience' yet this is making it harder to find relevant results. I'd like the people responsible to really consider this aspect continue to take onboard such feedback.

As an example I've tried finding results for the query 'github' and literally 2/14 results on the first page contain styles for Github (the others merely mention it in the description, presumably). Due to the lack of filtering there is no way for a user to further hone what they're looking for. There's no 'search in title' or anything useful such as sorting by last updated, yet despite this the change is considered worthwhile.

Imagine for a moment if Google Images, flickr, or any number or search sites, removed the filtering options, there's no single holy grail algorithm that would provide the results users are after, hence the reason they provide them. The criticisms are coming from a valid place so I do hope things change for the better soon.
    Yes it's referring to the filtering options that existed previously, there was no such advanced search page just the advanced options stuff (Sort by relevancy/updated/etc) which is what they where talking about.