Update about Userstyles new design release

Comments

• I not sure if it has been mentioned but the new site uses iframes for the my account area and I cannot figure out how to theme this part of the site.
  • Thanks Natalie!
  • @natalieg Easy, go for example to this subcategory https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/browser and tell me what browser styles you see listed, answer is none.
  • @strel I'm seeing a frame populated with suggestions for that link you posted.
  • edited April 2017 Chrome

I not sure if it has been mentioned but the new site uses iframes for the my account area and I cannot figure out how to theme this part of the site.

This takes care of the backgrounds:

#nav-view {
    background-color: #202020!important;
    }
    #navigation {
    background-color: #202020!important;
    }
    body {
    background-color:#202020!important
    }

• I not sure if it has been mentioned but the new site uses iframes for the my account area and I cannot figure out how to theme this part of the site.

I'd wait with creating a user style for the site. We're still gradually releasing the design, so that pages you see in an iframe will be moved to the new design.
    strel said:

@natalieg Easy, go for example to this subcategory https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/browser and tell me what browser styles you see listed, answer is none.

Thanks. We'll check it.

• Just FYI - you might see some styles leading to a 404 page. This is caused by the url structure of the style that includes a dot or a single quote mark. We're working on this and should be releasing the fix today.
  • @strel I'm seeing a frame populated with suggestions for that link you posted.

But if you find any of them to be an 'app' type one will be by chance.

I'm sorry but these two here --

6. Missing Advanced Search - this is not a bug, it's by design. We're made many improvements to style discovery, which we believe delivers a good user experience. Additionally, based on our stats, usage of advanced settings was very low.

7. Missing Related Styles section - also not a bug, but by design since it had low usage and we felt the current improved user discovery funnels are enough. We're open to reconsidering this one if many of the community members think it's required.

The reasoning on why you took both of these out are two of the stupidest reasons in existence.

As it currently stands, whenever I do a search for any styles I

1. Get many styles that have not been updated in years on the front page of the search..

2. Get many styles that are not even related at all to what I am searching for.

You need to have an advanced search option to allow us to filter idiotic styles that are either not even related to whatever it is we are searching for, and to filter styles to see new/updated/most downloads/ect. styles on the front page of the search.

As when viewing any styles, I like to see the Related Styles section as well to see other themes for the site I am looking to style.

Bring back both of these options, just because they had a "low usage" by your standards does not mean they should of been taken out, both of these options where very good options to many many power users who use the site.

• Hi Everyone,

Quick update about the open bugs - We've released a fix for the following:
    Added back the missing userscript link on style page; we temporarily removed the link to the Graveyard from the sidebar and fixed the 404 error received for urls that contain special characters (such as: . [ + ' etc.).

We didn't manage to upload today the fix for the discussions on style page order, which together with other remaining bugs, will be released by the end of next week, with the wrong styles on the sub-categories in high priority, to be released as early as possible.

Please continue to update us on new bugs you find. Your help on this is not only appreciated, but it's crucial for our success in this release.
  • No one style can be installed.
    Clicking on install button do nothing.
  • Natalie - was the lack of porting settings to the new design an oversight, or was it as you seemed to suggest above that people didn't use the advanced settings? If that is what you meant, do mean some people didn't use them to make their styles, or that when the styles had settings, the settings were used mostly according to their defaults?
  • @natalieg

I guess I wasn't thinking, but the donate button is replaced with creator controls.
  • edited April 2017 Firefox
    I agree with Journeyover, and I did use advanced search a lot.

When the default search shows only "relevant" styles instead of the ones that might actually work right now, it is obviously bad UX and might even drive users away from userstyles as a whole.

And app/site/global are very important for separating interface styles from site styles when searching for something. I know that XUL will get deprecated and therefore Stylish won't soon be able to style Firefox, but hey, userChrome.css will still work and this is the largest repository of userstyles for any FX version.

So please, return those two options for the search. I couldn't care less about asc/desc and page counts.
  • Add another on the "without advanced search this place is ruined" pile.
    Honestly I'm only half joking. I can't find old styles that I had when using the search, and without advanced search there's pretty much no way I can find anything new, either.
    Guess I'll return in a few weeks to see if it's usable by then.

As an aside, the "App Styles -> Browser" path is no more useful than it's ever been. Many many styles for specific websites, a few for global stuff and almost none that actually theme the browser.
  • natalieg said:

Advanced settings section is missing from Style pages - we're giving this high priority and it should be back by sometime next week.

This is fundamental. We can't wait a week.
    Without the settings, many styles are useless.
  • Why when I'm looking for a style for a particular site, among the list there are styles for other sites?

Sorry my bad English, i attached picture example a VK style search
    746 x 577 - 73K
  • q1kq1k
    edited April 2017 Chrome
    natalieg said:

6. Missing Advanced Search - this is not a bug, it's by design. We're made many improvements to style discovery, which we believe delivers a good user experience. Additionally, based on our stats, usage of advanced settings was very low.

""Oh not many people are using this, let's remove it.""
    That's a load of bulcrap, I think you broke the whole thing by those "improvements" so you just decided it's not worth to reinvent the advanced search.
    Your current stupid style discovery isn't doing anything.

The old way also searched styles based on their description and I believe the "Notes" section as well. Now nothing works.
    Go ahead and search "youtube badge", it finds nothing. And previously it showed a whole page with styles all which had youtube and/or badge in the name or description.

I often searched for new styles based on the 'Updated Date' (which btw was available in the advanced search) and I could even combine stuff like searching styles of a certain website with an additional query. Now I can't do that.

So you just removed a perfectly working advanced search for absolutely no reason.

I think you rushed this update.
    It should have been released under a subdomain like 'beta.userstyles.org' and people can send feedback and you can improve it separately, and once it's good it may go live. But instead you went and broke the whole website, there is more problems than there were 5 years ago.

Why when I'm looking for a style for a particular site, among the list there are styles for other sites?

Sorry my bad English, i attached picture example a VK style search

Because the current devs are fucking idiots when it comes to the site (and the extension)
  • Look, @natalieg if your team did this right the first time you wouldn't have to be telling your core audience who had been here before you were even conceived it'll be fixed in the coming weeks.

Next time something like this is pulled on your fellow end-users add a beta test header and encourage people to use the new site, then before transition is complete have on the new site a link to the old version so users hard to change are given one more chance to compare new changes to old code.

• This update totally destroyed the usability of the site for me. I have to strongly agree with pretty much everyone else: roll it back and put it on beta.userstyles.org instead, then leave it there until you get all the issues fixed.
  • natalieg said:

7. Missing Related Styles section - also not a bug, but by design since it had low usage and we felt the current improved user discovery funnels are enough. We're open to reconsidering this one if many of the community members think it's required.

So basically you've made the whole website useless to me now... Your design philosophy is wrong. We're here because we like to tinker around, change things, play around and the more options we have the better. I, for one, used both removed "by design" features regularly and now I simply see no way to discover new styles or see if a style that used to be broken but I really liked, got updated. Yeah, basically you've just killed off people who might just be starting, who now have less chance to get found because styles are automatically sorted by some arbitrarily chosen method. What's worse is that by not having the option to sort search results by, say update date, your end user might install a style that is broken, abandoned, no longer relevant, despite your sorting by relevancy... Well, at least it looks nice, right? Who cares if it's user-friendly when it looks this nice?
    Another issue with the data feed URLs in .jsonp/.json format.
    Widgets created with that don't work anymore.
    .json format works for style's link, like https://userstyles.org/styles/118180/dusky-gray-facebook-dark-theme, but handle.data callback not.
    .json format doesn't work for user's link like mine https://userstyles.org/users/298148, neither handle.data callback. I was using this url before and it worked fine.
    Apparently it works only for https://userstyles.org/styles/browse
    Check out https://userstyles.org/help/widget

And links for styles or users like "user 298148" or "style 118180" in description or note sections don't work anymore.
  • A website run by an analytics company with a search function this pathetic would be funny if we weren't talking about a site we've all come to enjoy and rely upon. I couldn't care less what the site looks like, because we can easily alter the appearance. How does a cosmetic overhaul result in so much missing and broken functionality though?

People are complaining about the settings, descriptions and advanced search getting axed, and rightly so, but on an even more basic level, I'm kinda wondering how lots of regular searches return zero relevant results at all.

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?category=userstyles.org

returns styles for Facebook, Google, Youtube, Reddit, and Roblox.

as does:

https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?category=github

(a couple relevant Github styles sneak through).

Nobody wanted to have to fork and maintain an alternative to Stylish, but you converted the extension into a bloated parasite, so there was no other option. You're going down the same road with the website now. Nobody is eager to start from square one and fund a project that ambitious, but we're gonna have no other choice than to fix what you've broken once again.
  • Why? Why you broken search!?
    749 x 549 - 64K
    Is this a late April fools joke? The new site design is awful. Reminds me of spam and malware immediately. The current design was perfectly fine.

Hilarious that the site hosting some crazy top developers of web languages designs such an awful website. haha
  • When I turn to the second page, i see page of Most Popular Styles :-??
  • I like the change in the site's look, but not its feel. It's like going from a basic people-mover to a hypercar that doesn't have half of the amenities you want.
    Pages render slowly, very slowly, even though are blocked all cross-site connections (facebook, google, googleapis, googleanalytics, googlefonts, googlesyndication, googletagmanager, newrelic, pinterest and twitter ...). A counter-progress. It was much better before. Forget the aesthetics this is not a beauty parlor. What the heck is this new eccentricity? Make it nice if you wish but fast. This new place is a snail. Moreover no dedicated updated styles' pages. I wonder who thought all this, totally insane (the new design, not the designer).