Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release Notes - New Version of Stylish was released

edited December 2016 in Stylish Chrome
Heads up everyone – I’ve uploaded a new version of Stylish. Right now it’s released to just 5% of the Chrome users. After the weekend, once I see everything runs smoothly, I’ll upload it to 100% of the users.

What’s new?
• Changed the icon of Stylish!
• New Feature: showing suggested styles, with a slick design (thanks wife!)
• Fixed the ‘Update Style’ feature
• Numerous other small bugs

I’ve uploaded it to a develop brand on gihub. I’d appreciate it if you could go over it and give me some feedback.

I’m really proud of this release, even though this is just the first step out of many that I have planned for us. It’s still far from being perfect, I know, But I wanted to get something out already.

Comments

• Look on the code, it says I'm filtering this information in case there was a site stupid enough to include it in the url. I want to protect the privacy of our users.
  • edited December 2016 Firefox
    Look where, exactly?

... Wait, what? "In case there was a site" - what site besides Userstyles.org are you talking about here?
  • Looks good but how can we disable/enable a style, in the previous version we had checkboxes for that now I need to go to the options page ? Thanks.
  • Yandex Browser
    Looks good but how can we disable/enable a style, in the previous version we had checkboxes for that now I need to go to the options page ? Thanks.

Yeah, this seems to be a problem. While toggling the style is not particularly common thing to do, for me at least it was more common than looking up new styles. Hopefully you'll return the option to us :(

• Looks good but how can we disable/enable a style, in the previous version we had checkboxes for that now I need to go to the options page ? Thanks.

guess for now we right click the stylish icon and click "Turn all styles off"
  • Yandex Browser

The problem is when we need to turn only some of them off. For example when making variations of a style.

• Can you fix this
    357 x 278 - 12K
  • Yeah, I too would really like the ability to toggle individual styles on/off from the menu back. Going into the full options to do it is a pain, because you have to find the style for the site in question among all other styles.
  • edited December 2016 Chrome
    Well, that was disappointing. What was the thought process here? Remove every useful feature from the popup and replace them with style suggestions? I hardly ever install styles because I prefer to write my own, and I'll never opt-in to data collection, so style suggestions don't even work anyway. If data collection wasn't optional, I'd either sideload an older version, or move on and use something else. If this redesign isn't redesigned, I'll end up moving on either way.

I'm not a fan of the new icon either. When shrunken down to icon size, it somehow looks more pink than the old one, which arguably had much pinker hues. It's also buggy as far as changing to the colored icon when styles are enabled on a page. It was working, then it wasn't.

Your wife did a nice job implementing the style suggestions, and you could even show them by default, but there needs to be a toggle to return to the popup with all the useful shortcuts, and the preference should be remembered so you don't need to toggle it every time.
  • The extension has stopped working entirely for me. When I try to go into options through my extension settings on chrome, the page will not load. All my styles have stopped loading.
  • I reinstalled on my other user on chrome and it means I lost all my styles. I have styles that I made for myself that I can't recover.

I agree with what was said above, the toggles need to be back. I use them very often.

I'm really sad with this update because I've lost all the styles I made over the past year.

are you gonna also update the opera extension https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/stylish/ I think it needs one it was last updated May 5, 2015 :P
  • Yandex Browser
    How fast off style for site?

Shylight said:

Looks good but how can we disable/enable a style, in the previous version we had checkboxes for that now I need to go to the options page ? Thanks.

Yeah, this seems to be a problem. While toggling the style is not particularly common thing to do, for me at least it was more common than looking up new styles. Hopefully you'll return the option to us :(

CodyMKW said:

I agree with you guys. Talked with the wife about it and we decided to add another tab that will contain the installed styles with all the old functionalities - disable, enable, delete and edit. We’re also going to add an on/off button to disable all styles.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Diletant said:

How fast off style for site?

Not sure I get what you mean here. Can you try to explain again?
  • CodyMKW said:

are you gonna also update the opera extension https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/stylish/ I think it needs one it was last updated May 5, 2015 :P

Not sure yet. I think Edge will be my next project. I will, however, add it to the backlog list on the Stylish Features Trello board and if more people will vote for Opera than Edge, I’ll adjust my plans.
  • Well, that was disappointing. What was the thought process here? Remove every useful feature from the popup and replace them with style suggestions? I hardly ever install styles because I prefer to write my own, and I'll never opt-in to data collection, so style suggestions don't even work anyway. If data collection wasn't optional, I'd either sideload an older version, or move on and use something else. If this redesign isn't redesigned, I'll end up moving on either way.

I'm not a fan of the new icon either. When shrunken down to icon size, it somehow looks more pink than the old one, which arguably had much pinker hues. It's also buggy as far as changing to the colored icon when styles are enabled on a page. It was working, then it wasn't.

Your wife did a nice job implementing the style suggestions, and you could even show them by default, but there needs to be a toggle to return to the popup with all the useful shortcuts, and the preference should be remembered so you don't need to toggle it every time.

I’m sorry you feel that way, but you have to realize that I’m looking at the bigger picture. Most Stylish users don’t create styles, they just use the styles that you guys create. I think that for a lot of our community members here, it’s important to get more of their styles installed, and putting ‘suggested styles’ straight in the extension should improve install numbers.
    I’m not going to add a toggle to return to the old version of the add on, because maintaining two sets of code for two extension versions on 3-5 browsers is crazy.

Thinking about your question actually gave me another idea - Right now I only show the popular styles, but if I want to give new styles a chance, I need to show them too. So I’m going to add another section with the newest styles.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, and I hope you’ll change your mind about leaving. I know you’re an active community member and as I said at the beginning, we’re gradually building this together, as a community, and in the end we’ll reach a result that most of us will appreciate. I strongly recommend voting on the Trello board and sending me feature suggestions to have move impact on the end result.
  • bychloe said:

I reinstalled on my other user on chrome and it means I lost all my styles. I have styles that I made for myself that I can't recover.

I agree with what was said above, the toggles need to be back. I use them very often.

I'm really sad with this update because I've lost all the styles I made over the past year.

Sorry to hear that. Until I'll find an automatic solution to avoid this, I'll make sure to remind people to backup their styles before installing a new version, in the announcement post.
  • Until I'll find an automatic solution to avoid this, I'll make sure to remind people to backup their styles before installing a new version, in the announcement post.

If you do know what caused this, you should share what you know. If you don't, then just say so.

... Wait, what? "In case there was a site" - what site besides Userstyles.org are you talking about here?

Answer the question, please. What site(s) are you, or will you be, exchanging data with that would include a telephone number in the URL?

And again, please clarify your relationship with the analytics company SimilarWeb [1].

you have to realize that I’m looking at the bigger picture.

• Until I'll find an automatic solution to avoid this, I'll make sure to remind people to backup their styles before installing a new version, in the announcement post.

If you do know what caused this, you should share what you know. If you don't, then just say so.

Answer the question, please. What site(s) are you, or will you be, exchanging data with that would include a telephone number in the URL?

And again, please clarify your relationship with the analytics company SimilarWeb [1].

you have to realize that I’m looking at the bigger picture.

Man, I usually don't like to explain the obvious and on top of it, the answer is in one of the comments posted in this thread.
  • Can you fix this

Yeah, one of the old strings sneaked up on me with its old translation. I didn't take care yet of translations for the new strings, since I plan to make more changes. Anyway, I'll fix it in the next release. Thanks for letting me know!
  • catcat520 said:
    I'll probably have something out for Chrome sometime around the beginning of January, so feel free to submit PRs between now and then and I'll do my best to include them.
  • I agree with the comments about missing the menu where I can turn off individual styles. I like the appearance of the new menu but totally miss the old menu.
  • Is there any plan of adding day and night mode? Users of my styles constantly ask for it. Sorry if is not the place to ask for it.

I hope you’ll change your mind about leaving

I wasn't declaring a boycott on us.o in general, only stating the obvious, which is that if you strip all the convenient functionality from the popup, it's a huge step backwards. If that's the case, I'll either sideload an older version to prevent automatic updates or find a different fork/extension.

The ability to disable/delete/edit styles directly from the popup aren't features I figured I'd ever need to explain the merit of. Adding functionality like suggested styles is great, but not at the expense of eliminating basic functionality for people who use it to create/edit styles. It doesn't need to be one or the other, you can do both.

I’m not going to add a toggle to return to the old version of the add on, because maintaining two sets of code for two extension versions on 3-5 browsers is crazy.

I don't understand the rationale here either. The shortsighted decision to remove everything useful from the popup and replace it with suggested styles must be a real-estate issue. There's only so much you can reasonably cram into a popup. What I was suggesting is a simple toggle to choose between the new default "dumbed down" version with suggested styles, and a more familiar version with the useful shortcuts for style creators.

You've already agreed that you need to add the shortcuts back. If you want to try to cram them all in the same popup, that's your prerogative. Bear in mind, that it's not impossible to have overflow as it is, if you have a lot of global styles.

The bottom line is, as long as the functionality remains, the popup is stylable, so it can be rearranged by us. We shouldn't need to fix "improvements" made in updates, but we can and will, if we need to.

Btw, has no one else experienced the icon not changing to colored on sites with styles enabled? I used it for a grand total of 15 mins, and it wasn't working correctly.
  • Well, that was disappointing. What was the thought process here? Remove every useful feature from the popup and replace them with style suggestions? I hardly ever install styles because I prefer to write my own, and I'll never opt-in to data collection, so style suggestions don't even work anyway. If data collection wasn't optional, I'd either sideload an older version, or move on and use something else. If this redesign isn't redesigned, I'll end up moving on either way.

Clearly, the new guy doesn't actually use Stylish in order to create new styles for sites/pages and apparently has no consideration for those that do. (I don't know, then, where he must think the styles on uso come from that he's so intent on pointing people toward.) But removing an essential function that's been part of Stylish for as long as there's been a Stylish... well, I think Jason made a mistake. Without that simple functionality being part of Stylish, I see little reason not to look for it elsewhere.
  • When can we expect the enable/disable checkboxes to be back?
  • The new stylish for Chrome is nice. I think you and your wife did a great job. Thanks. If I could jump on the band wagon with a suggestion, maybe if you cared to shrink up the new menu a bit and give us back our options at the bottom, maybe? then we could have the best of both worlds. A couple little pull out menus at the bottom wouldnt shrink it that much. And for me the new icon is working correctly. Do your thing man dont let people yank your chain. Thanks for your work. DanaMW