Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vote on Stylish's Future Features

edited November 2016 in Stylish Chrome
Hi All,

I've created this Trello board where I've already included some changes I was thinking about for Stylish and Userstyles.org.
You are welcome to comment and vote on each one, helping me prioritizing and taking and active part in the future of Stylish.
You can access it here: https://trello.com/b/xzSUbdNv/stylish-features-list
You'll need a Trello account to comment and vote.

Comments

• It's great to know you're motivated to keep developing Stylish.
    As a fan and user of Firefox, I'm very worried about this news:
    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/2017
    What's the future of Stylish in Firefox? Will it still be possible to modify the browser interface with CSS styles?
  • myfmyf
    edited November 2016 Chrome

@João. At this moment it seems that no; if Mozilla restricts Firefox extensions to be pure WebExtensions as it is defined today, altering interface will not be possible even for extensions themselves.

--

Few extra ideas:
    - real stats (based on unique update requests and "enabledness", not installs),
    - export/import,
    - Magic TLD for @document à la https://wiki.greasespot.net/Magic_TLD (yes, we should convince Mozilla first),
    - exclusion / combination mechanism for global / specific styles, something user friendly (specific dark themes accompanying global one; global one targeted to specific sites by user),
    - bundles (combination of styles easily togglable together),
    - more granularity for "sites" at userstyles.org (google.com != hangouts.google.com).

I'm sure @hideheader or any other veteran here could add many more even older / more serious or frequent requests from discussions that are not actually present at the Trello board.

• myf said:

@João. At this moment it seems that no; if Mozilla restricts Firefox extensions to be pure WebExtensions as it is defined today, altering interface will not be possible even for extensions themselves.

You're probably right.
    Let's see what Justin and others think about it, but if it isn't possible to modify the Firefox interface with user styles, Stylish will lose much of interest to me.
  • edited November 2016 Firefox
    how to create a new idea on trello?? I write it here:
    Perhaps you can use FF built-in development tools in real-time editing page CSS, and then saved to Stylish.
  • João. said:

It's great to know you're motivated to keep developing Stylish.
    What's the future of Stylish in Firefox? Will it still be possible to modify the browser interface with CSS styles?

That's a very good point!
    From what I researched so far, I believe that it will mostly effect the app styles - meaning FF won't let you change the way your browser looks, but will still let you change the way web pages look. However, it's going to take time till they reach this stage - at least till the end of 2017 and possibly only on 2018. By then they're likely to update their release plan and it might not be a problem either way.
    Jason has already prepared Stylish for the multi process, which the next release that will probably be out around January 2017.

I can tell you that I'm on top of these changes all the time and am planning ahead as I move forward.

• myf said:

--

Few extra ideas:

- real stats (based on unique update requests and "enabledness", not installs),

- export/import,

- Magic TLD for @document à la https://wiki.greasespot.net/Magic_TLD (yes, we should convince Mozilla first),

- exclusion / combination mechanism for global / specific styles, something user friendly (specific dark themes accompanying global one; global one targeted to specific sites by user),

- bundles (combination of styles easily togglable together),

- more granularity for "sites" at userstyles.org (google.com != hangouts.google.com).

I'm sure @hideheader or any other veteran here could add many more even older / more serious or frequent requests from discussions that are not actually present at the Trello board.

Hi myf,

Great stuff!

Can you elaborate regarding the 'real stats' feature?

Export/import already exists on Chrome. Do you mean adding it on FF?

I like the Magic TLD idea. I'll add it to Trello.

The combination mechanism might be resolved with better discovery UI in the site and the add on. I'm working on these two already.

Bundle is an interesting idea, but seems very hard to implement with a machine. Currently I'm not aware of a tagging system in Stylish that knows how to associate styles that go together.

Can you explain what you mean by more granularity? As for your example, I think Stylish already supports specific sub domains.
  • agent g2m said:

how to create a new idea on trello?? I write it here:
    Perhaps you can use FF built-in development tools in real-time editing page CSS, and then saved to Stylish.

I just started this and I want to keep it clean, so for now, write them here and I'll take the ones I feel are relevant and add them on Trello. As we move forward, I'll plan to pick moderators that will get access to adding features directly on Trello.
  • edited November 2016 Firefox

João. said:

It's great to know you're motivated to keep developing Stylish.

That's a very good point!
    From what I researched so far, I believe that it will mostly effect the app styles - meaning FF won't let you change the way your browser looks, but will still let you change the way web pages look. However, it's going to take time till they reach this stage - at least till the end of 2017 and possibly only on 2018. By then they're likely to update their release plan and it might not be a problem either way.
    Jason has already prepared Stylish for the multi process, which the next release that will probably be out around January 2017.

I can tell you that I'm on top of these changes all the time and am planning ahead as I move forward.

Thank you, Justin.
    In fact, I sincerely hope that Mozilla gives it up. In my opinion, one of the many advantages of FF over Chrome is to be fully customizable, including its interface. As I said before, changing the browser's appearance is essential to me and to many other people.
  • An old request :
    A favorits system for Userstyles ...
  • edited November 2016 Waterfox
    Justin,
    in case you didn't know, we've been asking Jason for this and that years back and then realized he won't do any thing (actually, he told us so).
    So Stylish-Custom by ChoGGi was born - excellent ext.! Can't use Stylish w/it it ever since. If you'll look at the last couple pages of the thread, you'll see a link to version by Sonny, SC2, which makes using Stylish and his Stylish Editor Mod ext. an absolute blast.
    I'm posting this here for you so that you can take a look at those 2 exts., see what people requested and maybe implement all/some of it in your Stylish. No need to re-create a wheel, code is already there.

As a personal request, can you make this site to except BBcode? So that we can mark it for using, like there's html and markdown already. This is the only forum i visit that doesn't use BBcode and it's very confusing trying to remember what to use here. TIA!
  • Can you elaborate regarding the 'real stats' feature?

I think he's referring to stats like Greasyfork has, like:
    https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/17800-解决百度云大文件下载限制/stats

(at the bottom of the page)

"Update checks" would give a much more accurate idea of how many people are actually using a style, which would be a more useful stat than installs. Having both together would be better. An "install" to "actually used" ratio should be reflected in rankings as well. I imagine the difference is pretty high across the board, but higher percentages for "actually used" would be the best indicator that a style must be pretty decent.
  • On "Style Setting" if you wanna use "New Color Setting" only accept value in HEX format, would be nice if you can choose between HEX or RGBA.
    For example I made a style that default color is on RGBA but if someone wanna set color on HEX or RGBA would can't because I used "New Text Settings" to put the default value on rgba.
    Idea 1: Include RGBA on "New Color Settings" would be nice.
    Like said @anagrammar it's a nice idea to implement and add "history" too. I saw a lot of styles that don't update anything, they just write an blank space just to be the first style showed when someone select search by "update"
    Idea 2: Add an history to see if the update has real changes.
    Idea 3?:
    Is there a way to implement a live settings?
    like showing the website in a iframe and see how it's looks with the settings you are choosing in real time.
  • Some really cool ideas here so far. Added some of them to Trello. You're welcome to check it out and vote up those you'd like done sooner.

As a rule of thumb, I prefer not to invest time in syncing with other extensions that compliment Stylish, for varies reasons. I prefer bringing Stylish to a place where it doesn't really requires any other extension to be installed in order to get a good user experience.

I would, however, consider partnering up with one or more editor tools, asking them to add a 'Save to Stylish' button or something like that, to their interface. If you think that's a good idea, let me know and feel free to come up with suggestions for editors you'd like me to start with.

• As a rule of thumb, I prefer not to invest time in syncing with other extensions that compliment Stylish, for varies reasons. I prefer bringing Stylish to a place where it doesn't really requires any other extension to be installed in order to get a good user experience.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I pointed you to two exts. that make it worth using Stylish. Why not take a look at them and chat with the developers to include their code into Stylish so that no additional ext. needed? When you'll make your changes to Stylish, they will have to 'fix' their exts. accordingly 'cause chances are you'll break their exts.
    For instance, if you'd contact Sonny, he might agree to work with you. I think you can benefit from such cooperation. At the end, we all will. And that's where Stylish will be 'a place where it doesn't really requires any other extension ... to get a good user experience'. Stylish can become one of the top exts., like TMP, Session Manager, AdblockPlus, Custom Buttons and Greasemonkey.

• makondo said:

As a rule of thumb, I prefer not to invest time in syncing with other extensions that compliment Stylish, for varies reasons. I prefer bringing Stylish to a place where it doesn't really requires any other extension to be installed in order to get a good user experience.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I pointed you to two exts. that make it worth using Stylish. Why not take a look at them and chat with the developers to include their code into Stylish so that no additional ext. needed? When you'll make your changes to Stylish, they will have to 'fix' their exts. accordingly 'cause chances are you'll break their exts.
    For instance, if you'd contact Sonny, he might agree to work with you. I think you can benefit from such cooperation. At the end, we all will. And that's where Stylish will be 'a place where it doesn't really requires any other extension ... to get a good user experience'. Stylish can become one of the top exts., like TMP, Session Manager, AdblockPlus, Custom Buttons and Greasemonkey.

I think you misunderstood me.
    That's exactly what I was saying - I prefer improving Stylish rather than forcing users to work with multiple extensions. Whether I'll do that by talking to the developers or will reach solutions myself, that's my problem. From your end you can know that I aim to turn Stylish as independent as possible with all needed features.
  • Increasing the size limit and releasing the Chrome bugfix should both be very simple. How about putting a couple in the "done" column?

When you're talking about "redesigning the addon", do you share the "one extension to rule them all" philosophy Jason was moving towards? Supposedly the Chrome extension is already basically compatible with Firefox. It already has a more modern UI and quite few more user friendly features than FF.
  • Idea: When you go to "Create a new style" add an option with "personal style".
    Just can be used for testing purposes or personal use.

These styles should not appear in search results.
  • @us.o: please make it so that the rating shows ALL rating and not what it shows now, only the last year rating.
    A style with dozens good ratings in the past (a day over a year) is probably not worse than the one with one rating last month. That was a dumb idea to begin with. A style either has ratings or it doesn't. That's how it is everywhere else and that's what people expect to see. When they don't see rating, they are not going to go read all that stuff on the page about clicking something else to READ yet something else .... People write now, they don't read. Rating is something they see, which is the purpose of ratings in the first place.
    TIA!
  • option with "personal style".

There is a simple solution to your question.
    Create a new style and instanly delete it. Actually, your style will continue to exist, but it becomes invisible to anyone but you.

• option with "personal style".

There is a simple solution to your question.
    Create a new style and instanly delete it. Actually, your style will continue to exist, but it becomes invisible to anyone but you.

I do that too when i'm doing a new style before release an stable version of the style.
    but with personal style option I mean like when you are using the style from another user but with your own changes and to avoid trouble with his "cc/copyleft".
    I know I can do the same like you said, but this can be helpfull with the "new" users who doesn't know that if he delete the style can be visible only for them.
    It's not a priority but can be helpful
  • I was told to mention it over here, so here's my idea/issue for the site:

I am not sure if there's a way to do this already, but if I want to update a style that I have installed, I have to uninstall the style first in order to reinstall the newer version, because the initial "Install with Stylish" button is replaced with the "Style installed! Need help?" button.

I am wanting a site feature that even though I have the style installed, I can have a button to reinstall the style instead of having to uninstall the style so that userstyles.org can detect I don't have the style installed already.
  • Hi nawba, if you reload the style's page you should get a green button to Update with Stylish. It would be convenient to have that available without having to reload.
  • Not directly about Stylish and not a priority too, but can you do something about Firebug:

Sometime ,when i use it, i see the stylish rules twice in the CSS panel.
    So i need more scrolling to inspect it....

Another thing:
    Before , i remember that when i inspected an element with the built-in-it "inspector" function , it go directly on it .
    But now, it open the selector but i need to scroll to see it.

• makondo said:

@us.o: please make it so that the rating shows ALL rating and not what it shows now, only the last year rating.
    A style with dozens good ratings in the past (a day over a year) is probably not worse than the one with one rating last month. That was a dumb idea to begin with. A style either has ratings or it doesn't. That's how it is everywhere else and that's what people expect to see. When they don't see rating, they are not going to go read all that stuff on the page about clicking something else to READ yet something else .... People write now, they don't read. Rating is something they see, which is the purpose of ratings in the first place.
    TIA!

I'm planning to change the rating completely. I don't think the current one is clear enough.
    nawba said:

I was told to mention it over here, so here's my idea/issue for the site:

I am not sure if there's a way to do this already, but if I want to update a style that I have installed, I have to uninstall the style first in order to reinstall the newer version, because the initial "Install with Stylish" button is replaced with the "Style installed! Need help?" button.

I am wanting a site feature that even though I have the style installed, I can have a button to reinstall the style instead of having to uninstall the style so that userstyles.org can detect I don't have the style installed already.

You can already update styles that changed - right now through Userstyles.org and very soon through Stylish directly. I do know that changing background image of a style you've already installed requires uninstalling and reinstalling it, which is super annoying. It's on my list of things to fix.
    Jefferson said:

Hi nawba, if you reload the style's page you should get a green button to Update with Stylish. It would be convenient to have that available without having to reload.

Not sure I got this. Can you try to explain again?
    decembre said:

Not directly about Stylish and not a priority too, but can you do something about Firebug:

Sometime ,when i use it, i see the stylish rules twice in the CSS panel.
    So i need more scrolling to inspect it....

Another thing:
    Before , i remember that when i inspected an element with the built-in-it "inspector" function , it go directly on it .
    But now, it open the selector but i need to scroll to see it.

Personally I find firebug very buggy. I recommend using the developer tools that come with your browser.

• Personally I find firebug very buggy. I recommend using the developer tools that come with your browser.

I suspect that's user error and not Firebug. Firebug was the gold standard for Firefox development until Mozilla's benighted decision to prevent extensions from running code in the chrome process forced them to abandon development [1] and instead wrap Mozilla's own execrable developer tools [2]. Developers were dismayed [3] - by comparison the native tools are awkward, incomplete, slow, and buggy idiosyncratic, and restoring some of the lost functionality with a wrapper didn't really change that.

It's a WONTFIX because Firebug is abandoned, recommendations notwithstanding. A developer would know that. (Sorry Decembre. Disable E10s [4], downgrade Firebug, and continue using it until Mozilla stops loading bootstrapped extensions altogether [5].)
  • Justin Hindman, thanks!
    Hope to see some changes soon as there are a lot of suggestions and quite a few 'on my todo list' responses but nothing came out yet.
    Good Luck!
  • Are auto screenshots coming back?
  • Jefferson said:

Hi nawba, if you reload the style's page you should get a green button to Update with Stylish. It would be convenient to have that available without having to reload.

Immediately after you install a style, the button turns blue and indicates that the style is installed. If you want to change an option and update (reinstall), you need to reload the page first. I do this all the time to check that the options are working on the following style:

https://userstyles.org/styles/122394/url-bar-tweaks-remove-visit-search-limit-width
  • Idea: Increase max limit to screenshot (GIF, PNG, or JPG) at least <300KB
  • Jefferson said:

Jefferson said:

Immediately after you install a style, the button turns blue and indicates that the style is installed. If you want to change an option and update (reinstall), you need to reload the page first. I do this all the time to check that the options are working on the following style:

https://userstyles.org/styles/122394/url-bar-tweaks-remove-visit-search-limit-width
    Ah yeas, that's something I've noticed too. It's on my list, but further down the road.