Stylish for Chrome 1.3.0b3

13»

Comments

• Android
    I think the keymap option should be deleted along with all the keymaps except sublime.
  • edited April 2015 Chrome
    Why? Because (1) Stylish is all about reducing its users' choices, or because (2) you're still too lazy to do the job right?

Most people use Windows, but not everyone uses Windows.
  • Android
    Personal attacks again, hideheader. I told you once to stop it. If you can't provide a technical argument (percentage of those who use those rare keymaps) then just don't say anything.
    Don't whine to me boy - tell it to your mama, maybe she cares.

You want numbers? Nearly 100% of Chrome users are using the "default" keymap with its Linux-like assignments, approximately 0% are using the "sublime" keymap. "vim" and "emacs" are two of the three keymaps provided by Firefox. If you wanna say that they're rarely used, then let's see your evidence.
  • edited April 2015 Android

The only one who's whining is you, almost constantly, although obviously you think otherwise, hideheader.

As for the default keymap (not sublime) being the only choice, I don't mind. The simpler the better.

And since you edited your post:

Nearly 100% of Chrome users are using the "default" keymap

let's see your evidence

Apparently there's no need for my evidence anymore :-D

• wOxxOm said:

Apparently there's no need for my evidence anymore

You've yet to proffer evidence to support any of your opinions.

A diller, a dollar,
    A second-rate scholar.
    wOxxOm said:

The simpler the better.

No, not when it's just as easy to do it right.
  • You've yet to proffer evidence to support any of your opinions.

The primary goal of the numbers topic was to make the discussion less off-topic. You've already confirmed my opinion:

Nearly 100% of Chrome users are using the "default" keymap

Further discussion is moot, so I think it's not necessary, at least here and now.

No, not when it's just as easy to do it right.

We'll never be able to do it completely right, we can only intercept all known browser hotkeys (which is on my to do list anyway), but we won't be able to intercept the find toolbar when it's invoked from a menu. BTW, hardcoding a bunch of platform-specific hotkeys doesn't seem like doing it 'right', but unfortunately there's no other way. Also there could be a better solution for the advanced users like using another editor which already handles all these issues, so maybe we won't have to reinvent the wheel.

• wOxxOm said:

The primary goal of the numbers topic was to make the discussion less off-topic.

The primary goal of that tired dodge was to deflect attention from your own entirely unsupported opinion with a peremptory demand for ridiculously detailed support of my response. The secondary goal was to divert attention from a number of problems that you'd rather bury than fix.
    wOxxOm said:

BTW, hardcoding a bunch of platform-specific hotkeys doesn't seem like doing it 'right', but unfortunately there's no other way.

Well that's wrong. You only need to understand how the keymaps work in CodeMirror to do it. It ain't rocket science.
  • Being old is hard for you :-)

You only need to understand how the keymaps work in CodeMirror to do it

Do you need me to remind you why we must have our own low-level keyboard handlers for the browser hotkeys also used for search/gotoline inside the code boxes?

• I've fixed 1 and 2. I want to get this release out the door shortly, so I'm going to leave the keymap stuff alone, but if you want to PR it up, I'll take a look after the release.
    PR? No thanks - I don't need to be told twice. Besides, I'm of the "you break it, you fix it" school.

So you won't be fixing the screwy Find behavior, either?
    wOxxOm said:

Being old is hard for you

And now we have the truth. The "I'm 40 years old and have been with a woman" bit never did ring true, kid.
    wOxxOm said:

Do you need me to remind you why we must have our own low-level keyboard handlers for the browser hotkeys

Sure. Let's see if you can.

So you won't be fixing the screwy Find behavior, either?

I'll fix it once I encounter it, certainly. The thing is, it was you who added the keymap option whereas I don't have any issues its default behavior added by yours truly...

And now we have the truth. The "I'm 40 years old and have been with a woman" bit never did ring true, kid.

I'm successfully learning from kids to be young, lol, and all my friends whom I respect are cheerful and have young souls. Would suffocate probably if I were as sour as you.

why we must have our own low-level keyboard handlers

Because CodeMirror doesn't handle anything outside of its boxes. So we have to handle all the different built-in search/navigation hotkeys used in browsers on different platforms but only when those are defined in currently selected CodeMirror keymap, a dozen, probably, or more. Anyway the number doesn't matter, the difficult part is avoiding hardcoded values as much as possible and having to read currently assigned CM hotkeys in their mnemonic form to decide if the pressed hotkey is one of them and reroute it to the corresponding CM command.

P.S. An alternative solution: maybe we can put everything (the header block with options and applies-to stuff) inside CodeMirror boxes as inner panels (AFAIK it's possible) maintaining current appearance more or less, remove gaps between the boxes and window bounds and use padding instead. Thus it might become impossible for a user to focus anything except CodeMirror, and we'll be able to use its keymap mechanism exclusively.

• wOxxOm said:

The thing is, it was you who added the keymap option...

What do keymaps have to do with it? "findNext" and "findPrev" should always begin from where the last search operation left off. They shouldn't skip occurrences and jump into a different section, they shouldn't repeat the same search from a different starting point, they shouldn't open the "Find" bar to begin a new search.
    wOxxOm said:

So we have to handle ... hotkeys ... when those are defined in currently selected CodeMirror keymap ...

[T]he difficult part is ... having to read currently assigned CM hotkeys in their mnemonic form

As I said, it only requires that you understand how the keymaps work in CodeMirror. It should take all of 20 minutes to do it.
    wOxxOm said:

An alternative solution: maybe we can put everything (the header block with options and applies-to stuff) inside CodeMirror boxes as inner panels ... maintaining current appearance more or less, remove gaps between the boxes and window bounds and use padding instead.

Uh huh. That's... I'm embarrassed for you.
    wOxxOm said:

I'm successfully learning from kids to be young, lol, and all my friends whom I respect are cheerful and have young souls.

OK then, definitely no children, probably no friends. Well, there is that Canadian friend you're always on about.
    wOxxOm said:

Would suffocate probably if I were as sour as you.

Oh my, that would be a loss.
  • Android
    well, whatever you want to believe, I don't care, it's actually funny to be treated as a kid, sometimes.

Anyway I'm still inclined to remove the keymap option. But hopefully you're right and it's easy to fix. I'll look into it someday.