Stylish for Firefox 1.4.2 released

edited February 2014 in Stylish
Available here

Available on AMO. Note that this release introduces some changes to the stylishStyle IDL.

Comments

• With SC Custom 1.5.0b, I get crashes and no ability to create a new-line (Enter key).
    @rob64rock, I'll be in touch soon. Nice to see you back. :)
  • The Enter key thing is me trying to prevent Enter on the findbar from closing the dialog and doing it wrong. I've uploaded a new version and it should be fixed now.

I'm guessing SC fails due to the stylishStyle changes. The changes are minor (an extra param on init and applyUpdate). To maintain compatibility, you can even detect the new interface with:
    Components.ID('{6cd15928-080e-d4c0f-b3af-90922cf4f9e8}').equals(Components.interfaces.stylishStyle)
  • edited February 2014
    I'm not sure how to do that, Jason. Where do I add that?
    On a good note, the [Enter] key (new-line) now works but the search text window in SC is gone. It allowed me to search either case sensitively or non-case-sensitively.

One of the best things as I don't always put in a DIV as DIV but, sometimes, as a div.
    Yeah, my bad, but not all web sites from which I extract the "div", or "DIV", are designed the same ...
    I'm back on the previous release for the moment.
  • edited February 2014
    Nightly has a new function, when can we use it with stylish :D
    414 x 272 - 19K
  • it's been in firefox since version 26 i believe
  • I'm not sure how to do that, Jason. Where do I add that?
    That would have to go somewhere in the SC code if it wanted to detect whether to use the new methods signatures or not. I've never looked at the SC code so I don't know.
    Nightly has a new function, when can we use it with stylish :D
    I'm trying to get some info on Bugzilla.
  • Find-bar in edit window disappeared after Firefox 27 update.
  • Nightly has a new function, when can we use it with stylish :D
    I just uploaded a new version supporting this; it's available in Firefox 29+.
    Find-bar in edit window disappeared after Firefox 27 update.
    The source editor has its own find bar - press Ctrl+F to activate it.

• Nightly has a new function, when can we use it with stylish :D
    I just uploaded a new version supporting this; it's available in Firefox 29+.
    thank you very much!!!
  • Thanks for fixing incompatibilities with SCM.
  • Well I'm not sure what exactly the problem was, but I'm glad that whatever I did fixed it!
  • edited February 2014
    I wish you were (sure to keep the two compatible). SCM is the only companion to Stylish, SC on AMO has been install over 4 000 times. So, some of us find it useful enough to install. It would be nice of you to at least keep Sonny posted on your dramatic changes (like the last version, for instance) and help fixing them when possible by providing relevant info. It seems weird to me that you - by your own admission - have never checked SC or SCM out. At least to see what people are missing in your ext. and what they gain by using both.
    Of course, i might be spoiled by the great cooperation i witness between Morac/Session Manager and onemen/TMP who always make sure their exts. work well together and keep each other informed about changes they make that might break the other ext. so that fixes can be made before new versions hit the masses. This is truly admirable especially since most exts. developers have the same starter goal - to make Fx better.
  • edited February 2014
    Save your breath - Jason's only in it for the money and the chicks.
  • It would be nice of you to at least keep Sonny posted on your dramatic changes (like the last version, for instance) and help fixing them when possible by providing relevant info.
    I list all the changes I make, the actual source of the changes is available on GitHub, and I even specifically noted something that was likely to break anyone doing integration with the Stylish code and included an example of how to keep backwards compatibility. Betas are posted here for at least week before being released to the general public. Not sure how much more notice would be useful.

It seems to me that I hear some grumbling whenever I change anything at all. I understand that it can be frustrating when new versions break things; I deal with that with new Firefox versions all the time. I don't intentionally break things or change code just for the sake of it. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve compatibility with third-party code.
  • I understand you don't break things intentionally. I use Fx betas since the first one and know all about breaking things.
    My point was that you seem to me almost derogatory towards SCM. 'I never use and never looked into code'... Why not? Why not take a minute and post in Sonny' thread that there some changes coming that will break his work and link to the changelog? Doesn't sound very hard to do, to me anyway. It's a great ext. which enhances yours immensely, a lot of work went into the original SC and then SCM. And it is the only Stylish companion out there (well, except for the Ken' ext. which is a different beast anyway).

It's not my place to tell you how to code, i don't know how to "improve compatibility with third-party code". Maybe a more detailed changelog would help, something like what you've posted later, after we reported SCM broken.
  • Thanks for the update, Jason. image
  • edited February 2014
    I'm not happy with the new findbar. :(
    Is there an easier way to jump to the next matching search term than to click [Ctrl]+[F] --> [Enter] again?

(FF 27+ / FF 28+)
  • Is there an easier way to jump to the next matching search term than to click [Ctrl]+[F] --> [Enter] again?
    Ctrl+G (find next) and Ctrl+Shift+G (find previous)
  • edited February 2014
    Ctrl+G (find next) and Ctrl+Shift+G (find previous)
    no. Neither Ctrl-G nor F3.

• @trespassersW Which editor are you using?
  • edited February 2014
    @LouCypher I think, this is default embedded editor : Manage styles -> Edit
    ps: stylish-custom is turned off
  • edited February 2014
    Excuse me, I had 1 in extensions.stylish.editor. I've set it to zero. Ctrl-G is working. Other things are sorrowful. (Ffx 28)
  • edited February 2014
    nm
  • Ctrl+G (find next) and Ctrl+Shift+G (find previous)
    Thanks. :)
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks!
    Now with this update and my old firefox (20.0.1) , i can edit my styles (before i stay to the old version)
    But, strange, i have 2 search box and i lost the next/prev button (only one button "find')....
    And yes, I use too the SCustom of Choogi (0.7.9.e)
    ;-)
  • Let me chip in here, please. (And for the record, i'm only a skin writer. I have no knowledge of the workings of the plugin itself, so my comment is purely from an end-user's perspective.)

Regarding the new editor in 1.4.1: I don't know what this "CodeMirror" is, or why we have to use it, but the new find-bar is much worse than the old one. Where are the typical "highlight all", "prev", "next" buttons? Yes i know, i can press CTRL-G, but it's more cumbersome than before. (I have to press CTRL-F, enter my query, press ENTER, press CTRL-G. So many steps; more than before at least. Not to mention that F3 doesn't work; and as soon as i leave the search bar, it forgets my query.)

The second issue i'm having is the syntax highlighting. I'm colour-blind (the red-green one), so colours work a bit differently for me. What i mean is, that some colours stick out more than others, so the highlighting is actually a hinderance for me, as i have to strain my eyes more to see things. I'd prefer an old-school black-on-white. Worse than that is the auto-indent-feature that i would love to disable. (This is just me of course, but i have no use for these little helpers. Even auto-complete.) As a workaround for all this i found the "extensions.stylish.editor" switch in about:config switch, which i would use, but then i get no find-bar at all! Which makes the editor almost unusable for me.

Sorry for the rant, but there you have it. Hopefully some of the things can be fixed or modded…
  • edited February 2014
    you will probably benefit from using Stylish-Custom Mod by srazzano. It uses the 'old' editor (the one Fx used for 10 years before), has no highlighting and such but has a button to open a style in some external editor should you need it (for character/line counting, for instance, etc.).
    It ads a toolbarbutton. Click that and then click Options where you can set up a bucket and a half of features. Then open SCM editor, Click any editor toolbar, check all toolbars you want to see. Click Customize and see another bucket of available buttons to help you code fast and easy.
  • edited February 2014
    style writers, have you read this?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#By_cause
    ..as many as 8 percent of men..
  • Thanks makondo for the heads-up! I love me some buckets of options :)