Where are User Styles stored on Chrome?

edited May 2012 in userstyles.org
I'm new to User Styles and use Stylish extension in Chrome. However, I'm curious as to where the download styles are saved. I assume it's direct on to my pc? And when/if I edit one, where is that saved too?

Thanks

Comments

• %appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0
  • Should I be seeing CSS files as I've nothing in there :-S
  • edited May 2012
    The styles are contained in a file on your PC. If you edit a style, that is stored there as well. It is not transmitted from your PC, if that's what you are worried about.

Some styles use externally hosted images, such as backgrounds hosted on imageshack or photobucket, and while the style is stored locally on your PC, that kind of images might get requested from the server by your browser.

Regarding your post above, you should be seeing a file named as a number. It's an SQL or SQLite database, not editable in plain text editor. According to your system, here are possible profile locations

http://dev.chromium.org/user-experience/user-data-directory

Once you navigate to your profile, append .\Default\databases\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0 and you're in. At least in the right directory.
  • It's not stored as CSS files. It's an SQLite database.
  • Ah, that might be why I can't see it then! Is there a way I can sync styles from one pc to another?
  • edited May 2012
    Copy your Stylish sqlite database from the folder of your source PC into the folder of your target PC.
  • Ah, that might be why I can't see it then! Is there a way I can sync styles from one pc to another?
    Wrench -> Settings -> Sign in ?

https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165139&p=settings_sign_in

You can save your bookmarks, extensions, apps, theme, and browser preferences to your Google Account so that they are available on any computer you’re using. That way, you can have the same web experience everywhere.

• Seems the db file located at \Default\databases\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0 is not for storage. The file is always 4096 bytes no matter how many styles I save. And there is only a table named __WebKitDatabaseInfoTable__. no table named styles found. I used the sqlite3.7.

• edited September 13 Chrome

I find it at Default/IndexedDB/chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0.indexeddb.leveldb/000003.log. the log file is not a SQLite3 file.

- open it using sublime text 3 and reopen with encoding utf-8
    the file content
    - copy this file instead of databases/chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0/*
    - lol

• Hmm. You don't think the other files in that folder might be needed too?
  • Hey guys, months ago, with help from this page I located the Stylish sqlite database file and copied that to Dropbox. I just right now went back to the same location to manually copy it again... and I see that both my Dropbox backup file AND my original file have a modified date of April 2nd this year.

There seems to be no update to the original file (while I have definitely added user styles). Both the original and the backup in Dropbox are 304kb.

Does this mean that I must have inadvertently changed the original file when I copied it and somehow blocked further changes? I don't remember having modified anything. I'm not sure how my Chrome browser interacts with this file... and I'm not sure why it hasn't "grown" in size or been updated over the last months. All of my user styles added since are working fine. I'm not sure what I'm missing. I just want to go in once a month and back up everything that I have by copying to Dropbox.

Any insight into what might be happening?

Thanks!
  • @frankman777 Your question was already somewhat addressed in this thread. Stylish switched from SQLite to Indexed DB. It does a one time import from the Sqlite DB and the all subsequent changes are made to the Indexed DB.

Same directory, different folder:

C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB\chrome-extension_fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe_0.indexeddb.leveldb

Probably better to copy the whole folder, that's what I've been doing anyway.
  • You're right... it was actually fully addressed. Just a bit confusing for me... but thanks a ton for the simplified version :-)
  • It would be very useful to have an option in Stylish to export/import settings and styles to different computers.
  • edited October 4 Chrome
    @coman For sure. You can do that with, say, Tampermonkey scripts. Only other thing I'd like would be to assign keyboard shortcuts to certain styles so I could toggle them on/ off.
  • edited October 4 Chrome
    @hideheader, meddlesome twinkletoes.
  • edited October 3 Firefox
    Were you dropped on your head at birth? Which part of "don't hijack the thread" don't you understand?

You're a time-wasting moron who asked a question that was already answered on the very same thread. Are you unable to read, or simply couldn't be bothered? You expect an encomium for that?