Attention style authors and the userstyle community:

Check out: https://userstyles.world/
You've asked for an alternative, this is a great one! Free and open-source, a community-driven platform for sharing and browsing UserCSS userstyles, and a replacement for UserStyles.org, made by the userstyles community.

Stylish 1.0.3 beta

edited June 2009 in Stylish
Available here
  • Fixed a bug where Stylish would give an error when you were on "weird" websites like chrome URLs.
  • New injected attributes for styling - stylish-platform, stylish-application, stylish-application-version.
  • New preference extensions.stylish.dbFile to put your stylish DB file in a different location.
  • Support for Firefox 3.6a1.
  • Fixed a bug where the Preview button would have no effect.
  • Fixed a bug where you could input duplicate tags.

Comments

• oh good stuff, thanks for the new version
    dbFile should come in handy :)
  • Also, the up and down buttons scroll in the manage dialog, and opening a second New Style window will not blow away your first New Style window.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)... opening a second New Style window will not blow away your first New Style window.
    That's good! Thank you, Jason!

ChoGGi, after you implemented the Import/Export, dbFile comes a bit too late for me ;-). When i asked for this a year or so ago, i wanted this for moving styles between profiles which i now can easily and selectively do with I/E. But thanks anyway, np, wonder if it might unload Fx on start a bit ... gonna try it!
  • Didn't notice any difference. As i said before, i can't care less about seconds. Let's see what else i can use it for ...
  • If i'm editing a style and disable it, it gets stuck. Have to close it/enable/disable to shake it off (or restart Fx, of course).
  • Performing actions on a style while it's being edited will be flaky. I haven't specifically coded support for that. If you edit an enabled style, preview it, then disable it, what should happen? It's not obvious.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, i came to add - they're all just sticky, period. Once again if you disable a style, it might not clear. It seems the more you edit it, the 'stickier' it gets?
    I haven't seen this for a long while but today i had to update 3 styles for GooMaps. A few blocks of code were the same but i needed to change colors in each of them. I had 2 opened for editing, one of them was enabled (#1), . When i edit the disabled style (2) and click Save, it 'bleeds' through. I then disable the enabled style (1) to see only #2 but #1 won't go away. I disable both, the #1 (originally enabled) sticks. Have to restart (quite inconvenient in the middle of writing a code, you know).
    That's one scenario. But even if i do disable one style before saving code in another one, it still sometimes gets stuck and won't disable.
    Now, i rarely do such a heavy load as i did today (which was even 'heavier' because of that need to restart/find where i left off, re-write/restart ... blah, blah, blah) and i will keep my eye on it 'cause as i said, i didn't see this for a while, not under 'normal' conditions, like write a style/apply/disable/edit/enable. Today was kinda unusual case with 3 styles for the same site being enabled/disabled, etc. for a couple of hrs.
    How i think it should work ... good question. I remember we discussed this a while back when you added the Preview or Save button(-s).
    First of all, if i click Save, i don't want a disabled style to show the change. That's what messes it up to start with ... i think. That's what the Preview button is for. If style is disabled and i edit/save, it should remain disabled to avoid confusion ('cause i might have another style enabled for the same site, for instance, and it won't show correctly anyway). I will have to disable enabled style first and then use Preview to see changes in the disabled style. After that i can click Save and Close or Cancel (which should erase changes). If i clicked Save before, then Cancel should erase changes after that Save click.
    Yes, it's confusing. We still have to copy/paste a style in an editor in case we mess real bad and want to go back to the original. But that should be up to us. Just like we (should) backup important stuff on our puters. I don't think you can foolproof Stylish, nor should (unless yo know howto ;-)
    BTW, i'm getting confused which button belongs where ... But those are the ones i have using S-C.
  • Just got hit by the bug Barbiegirl reported earlier:
    was editing a style, commented a block, previewed, then uncommented it (using Stylish-Custom), saved and closed the style. Re-opened the style - that block was still commented.
  • Posted By: makondoThat's good! Thank you, Jason!...
    Posted By: makondoDidn't notice any difference. As i said before, i can't care less about seconds. Let's see what else i can use it for ...
    Posted By: makondoIf i'm editing a style and disable it, it gets stuck. Have to close it/enable/disable to shake it off (or restart Fx, of course).
    I know it's off topic, but have you ever noticed the "Edit" button ? :)
  • edited June 2009
    HKK, are you a new forum mod?
    But to answer - sometimes my posts just sit there (notice their posted times) and if i want to bump a thread, i will post again (as oppose to editing a post which doesn't bump a thread).
    Do you have a problem with that? Skip my posts - easy, isn't it?
    ;-)
  • edited June 2009
    Question to Jason:
    When searching for updates of styles each style has its own progress bar.
    When updating extensions - there is one progress bar on top of everything.
    Since you incorporated Styles Manager into Addon Manager - wouldn't it be logical to make just one progress bar on top?
    Or there is some other logic?
  • Should be a mod to make it easier to toggle styles on/off without having to mess about with stylish sidemenu.

Like hotkey toggles assigned to certain styles.. or being able to make a toolbar icon that can toggle a style on/off
  • Posted By: xrenSince you incorporated Styles Manager into Addon Manager - wouldn't it be logical to make just one progress bar on top?
    I didn't really give that much thought. I don't see much of a difference either way.
    Posted By: RexelShould be a mod to make it easier to toggle styles on/off without having to mess about with stylish sidemenu.
    If you click on the Stylish icon, you can easily turn off styles for the current site.
  • edited June 2009
    ... that level of functionality is not even close to decent its bare minimum really.

and it also doesn't work for UI tweaks! which is actually why i use stylish in order to switch between ui/addon tweaks, layouts etc.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)
    Posted By: xrenSince you incorporated Styles Manager into Addon Manager - wouldn't it be logical to make just one progress bar on top?
    I didn't really give that much thought. I don't see much of a difference either way.
    It's up to you, of course. It just seems to me more logical and straightforward (use Firefox way of updating things).
    Anyway, thanks for your attention.
  • Jason, my stylish 1.0.2 beta didn't auto-update and I only just noticed this thread as it is posted in the userstyles.org category as opposed to the stylish category where the previous update is. Do you reckon everyone is aware of the update ? Just a thought.
  • So, um, what are "stylish-platform, stylish-application, stylish-application-version" attributes of, in particular?
  • edited June 2009
    stylish-platform="Win32"
    stylish-application="Firefox"
    stylish-application-version="3.5"

to see an example for your browser, goto the error console (ctrl+shift+j) then you can paste this and press enter (copied the code from stylish)
    var appInfo = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/xre/app-info;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIXULAppInfo);alert('stylish-platform: ' + window.navigator.platform + ' | ' + 'stylish-application: ' + appInfo.name + ' | ' + 'stylish-application-version: ' + appInfo.version)
  • ChoGGi: ...should I take that to mean it's only exported via JS methods? Still no way to use it in a style?
  • no you can use say #main-window[stylish-hour="6"] #navigator-toolbox toolbarbutton{color:red!important} (make toolbarbutton text red at 6am)
  • ChoGGi: Um. I was hoping to use the maybe-exported-to-CSS platform name/version info as a conditional in userstyles. I don't think this is getting me any closer.
  • Posted By: theaulddublinerJason, my stylish 1.0.2 beta didn't auto-update and I only just noticed this thread as it is posted in the userstyles.org category as opposed to the stylish category where the previous update is. Do you reckon everyone is aware of the update ? Just a thought.
    Don't know why you didn't get the update, but now this is in the right category.

Alois, you can do that. ChoGGi was just using stylish-hour as an example. The new parameters, stylish-platform, stylish-application, and stylish-application-version, can be used in the same way.

#main-window[stylish-platform="Win32"] { /* this code will only have an effect on Windows */ }
  • ChoGGi: Sorry, I didn't quite understand. I blame the cold meds, np: Thanks much. Got it now.
  • np: I'm not sure where to obtain a definitive list of platforms. Is Win64 simply "Win64"? I'm using stylish-platform^="Linux" under the assumption that Fox will look the same on all demi-recent distros... (So far as I know, I just need to cover Win32, Win64, and Linux-on-whatever for Firefox SSL green status fix.)
  • Um. Hmmm. May be a moot point at the moment.

#main-window[stylish-platform="Linux x86_64"] { /* The qualifier above makes anything in here fail to happen. */ } #main-window[stylish-platform^="Linux"] { /* So does this. */ }
  • edited July 2009
    [stylish-platform^="Win"]
    [stylish-platform^="Mac"]
    [stylish-platform^="Linux"]
    [stylish-platform^="Unix"]
    [stylish-platform^="Sun"]
    btw for x64 browser it's Win64
  • Posted By: ChoGGi[stylish-platform^="Win"]
    [stylish-platform^="Mac"]
    [stylish-platform^="Linux"]
    [stylish-platform^="Unix"]
    [stylish-platform^="Sun"]
    btw for x64 browser it's Win64
    That's a pretty good start. What about QNX, VxWorks, TRON, NeXTStep, Pink, OS/390, and Contiki? ;)

More seriously: Just in case I need to know, does ^Win cover Wince, Windows Mobile, and such? (I'm trying to think ahead to Fennec, supposing Fennec does/could/will/might have support for nifty stuff like Stylish.) Also, are there any other special exceptions to ^Unix beyond Linux and Sun? And does ^Mac include Classic for those people still using it? (I know a very few.)
  • the win32 build of fennec works fine with stylish here, it also shows Win32 for the platform though
    found a list
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en/OS_TARGET
  • ChoGGi: Sweet! Thanks for digging it up.
  • Styles still get stuck, especially application styles. A bookmarks manager in window style was particularly sticky - had to restart Fx every time i enable/disable it. Ouch!.. painful!