Idea/Wish: Export-Import feature

edited May 2009 in Stylish
I have several computers where I want to share some (not all) styles.

A good way to do that would be having the possibility to export selected styles to one or a single text file(s).
Since there's currently no way to select multiple styles this could be made with a separate window: The regular Stylish window would have an "Export..."-button that opens a dialog
Style1 [ ]
Style2 [ ]
Style3 [ ]
where we can tick the boxes for the desired styles and click "Export now" afterwards.

On the other PC this would be the same thing in reverse (Import... > Dialog/Ticking > Import now)

Regarding the new features of Stylish 1.0 (tagging!), the imported styles could automatically be tagged as "Imported" to distinguish them from the already installed styles. Once the style is ok for the user the tag can be removed manually.

What do you think? Other ideas?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Maybe this would be an alternative - but probably only if its always the same user on each of the machines: http://forum.userstyles.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=2754
  • edited May 2009
    've been asking for Import/Export for ages, last time in one of the beta releases threads. Was told to bookmark my installed styles (save info/open in browser/bkmrk chrome). Not the same though. I also asked for an option to import/export selected (checkboxes). What could be more logical?
    Makes at least 3 of us now.
    I'm sure there more but nobody seems to care enough to post although i'm sure everybody would be happy to use it, don't see why not.
  • The recommended way to share styles is to post them to the site and install from there. The alternate way is to copy stylish.rdf/sqlite to the new profile.
  • Jason,

I partially agree - if the site would also offer to collect bookmarks of favorite styles to the users pages. In that case, one could point the interested person (or oneself) to this page, so they pick the styles from there - and have the possibility of automatic updates included. As described in above mentioned post of mine :)
  • Not an option for me. I have styles that are personal - i have no interest in posting them here. Copy sqlite is not an option either - i may don't need all styles in another profile/puter but a few, for whatever reason.
    The best thing, IMO, still stands - Import/Export like some extensions do, with a checkbox list of all installed styles. There's no way around it. I didn't see one suggestion that would come even close.
    BTW, 'Copy Style Info' appears to be totally useless (to me) - i can get that from sqlite ;-). Now, if it would save the list of the installed styles in HTML(BBCode) format and clicking on links would take you to the style's page, that would be at least half helpful (unpublished styles will still be left out!).

np,
    do you think a custom button could be made to do what i'm dreaming about?
  • Custom buttons can do pretty much anything.
  • Well said Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

I guess it means you're not going to ...

rawny, you hear that? ;-)
  • edited May 2009
    Posted By: makondoNot an option for me. I have styles that are personal - i have no interest in posting them here. Copy sqlite is not an option either - i may don't need all styles in another profile/puter but a few, for whatever reason.
    That's exactly my point.

@np: Out of curiosity: what speaks against such an export/import functionality? I think it definitely won't decrease the amount of shared styles on userstyle.org (I assume that's your concern). Any other reasons?
  • I'm not that concerned with decreasing the number of styles on the site; it's that the site exists for this purpose. Most styles aren't "personal".
  • Ah, listen - he says we should all be public. Either share with all - or keep the scripts on one machine only :-#
  • I'm not saying that. I'm saying most styles can be public, so the site can handle most situations where htis can come up. If you have certain ones you don't want to be public, you can send them to other people as CSS files.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)I'm not saying that. I'm saying most styles can be public, so the site can handle most situations where htis can come up. If you have certain ones you don't want to be public, you can send them to other people as CSS files.
    I'd really like an export feature, too. It would be great to have a way to select a style, or quickly select multiple styles, and export them to .css. Until/unless this functionality tips up, the Install button may as well be disabled in the Extensions dialogue while the User Styles tab is selected. When I spotted it originally, I thought it had become possible to install styles from disk. :D
  • Yes, some personal styles need to be used across several machines but apply to internal websites or simlpy don't apply to anyone else's needs or are not significantly long to warrant making a new style on the website. I've had to copy CSS from the Stylish editor to a text file and copy it back into a new style on a new machine several times. Users don't, and shouldn't be expected to, know how to deal with the sqlite files or anything under the profile directory, so I'm in support of a simple export/import feature, even if it is just for all styles or one style at a time.
  • Public or not, it's beyond the point and isn't all that important. The point is - you have to know what styles you have/interested (to install to another profile/puter). As of now, you have to use that 'Copy Style Info' just to get the list, then go to the site and hunt 'em down one by one.
    With an Export/Import button, i won't have to (go to the site ... huh, np? ... isn't that good?!). I can check the ones i need and export to a set location. Open another profile/Import those.
    When asked about icon menu, you said 'that's how most exts. work'. Well, most of the best exts. do have a Setting button to Export/Import settings. In this case, it can be used to work with styles.

Please, Jason! I'll come up and wash your dishes for a week to free some time for you! image