Stylish 1.0.1 beta

edited May 2009 in Stylish
Stylish 1.0.1 beta available here.

This is a minor release for Stylish 1.0. It includes:
  • "New" features
    • Check for errors (happens automatically on preview)
    • Thunderbird toolbar button and status bar icon (hidden by default)
  • Bug fixes
    • Cases where previewing would make styles get stuck applied
    • Fix for the Stylish icon appearing in the add-ons dialog on Mac (it should just show text)
    • Manage dialog points to userstyles.org when there are no styles, not userstyles.org/stylish
    • Makes Diavolo work with It's All Text!
  • Changes to make Stylish easier to customize
    • "is-disabled", "tag", and "type" attributes added to Stylish manage entries
    • "type" text added to style entries, hidden by default
  • Usability improvements
    • Right-click on Stylish status bar icon opens the menu, middle click opens Manage
  • Added zh-TW, es-ES, and nl-NL localizations
  • Hidden update URL textbox added to edit dialog
If you wanted anything else and you didn't get an answer from me, feel free to ask again.

Comments

• - New error checking is better than 0.5.9, thanks!;
    - I've noticed that, when you sort styles by Tag/Type/etc, collapsed groups will expand whenever you edit/enable a style;
    - As a suggestion, I think the items in the sidebar could be more compact. The way they are now fits well when you have the manager in the add-ons window, but sidebar entries use to be smaller (take a look at history/bookmarks). Maybe if you use 16x16 icons instead of 24x24...
  • ah nice, thanks for the error checking
    Usability sounds nice too
  • edited May 2009
    '... "type" text added to style entries, hidden by default...'
    What is 'type' text?

I'm not getting any error warning. Nothing. Just like before, a style simply won't apply but nothing else happens. Made an intentional mistake, clicked preview, style turned off and that's it.
  • Posted By: TssI've noticed that, when you sort styles by Tag/Type/etc, collapsed groups will expand whenever you edit/enable a style;
    Yeah, they do that when you open the dialog new too. I wasn't able to figure out a way to persist that due to some Firefox bugs.
    Posted By: TssAs a suggestion, I think the items in the sidebar could be more compact.
    I don't really see the need for this, but it's easy to style:
    @-moz-document url-prefix(chrome://stylish/content/manage-standalone.xul) { image[anonid="status-icon"] { list-style-image: url("chrome://stylish/skin/s3-16.png"); } *[is-disabled="true"] image[anonid="status-icon"] { list-style-image: url("chrome://stylish/skin/s1-16.png"); } }
    Posted By: makondoWhat is 'type' text?
    app/global/site
    Posted By: makondoI'm not getting any error warning
    It shows up as text directly under the code textarea, not as a prompt.
  • Thanks!.. it's the same thing as in .5.9, right? 'cause i see the same gibberish that is hard to understand. All i know, there's an error somewhere. What are the numbers, like 5:6, 32:0...? If the first number is a row, what's the second one? TIA!
  • The last Stylish version placed the focus directly in the filter box when the manage window was opened. This isn't the case anymore but would be highly userfriendly. Would that be possible?
    I'm using the standalone window btw.
  • Posted By: makondoIf the first number is a row, what's the second one? TIA!
    Character index in that row where it figures there's an error.
    Posted By: FlunkLucThe last Stylish version placed the focus directly in the filter box when the manage window was opened.
    I considered this and the problem is that it would cause the "Search" text to not show up, so if you didn't already know what the box was for, it makes it harder to figure out.
  • edited May 2009
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np) ... Character index in that row where it figures there's an error...
    I thought you're gonna say that and counted. It's wrong ;-) (yes, i know about editors with line numbers).
  • edited May 2009
    Jason,
    i see the only way to delete a style while in the sidebar is to click that huge Uninstall button that is in the far right. Right? May i PLEASE have a Rclick menu option to delete? because now, unlike the .5.9, i can't highlight/delete.
    And Rclick/Visit homepage does nothing?
  • edited May 2009
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)I considered this and the problem is that it would cause the "Search" text to not show up, so if you didn't already know what the box was for, it makes it harder to figure out.
    IIRC In 0.5.9 there was a label "Search: " in front of the box. That would combine both advantages. The text would stay there and the cursor placed automatically.

P.S.: Forgot to say "thanks for the fixes"! "is-disabled", "tag", and "type" work perfectly
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)If you wanted anything else and you didn't get an answer from me, feel free to ask again.
    Okay, I write my question to you third time... will you bring back the interior editor features? and will you work at all in this way?
  • can anyone tell me what this means:
    "is-disabled", "tag", and "type" attributes
    "is-disabled", "tag", and "type" attributes
    and
    Hidden update URL textbox added to edit dialog
    ?
    I googled on this topic but it gave me no clues.
  • @Tss (and all the others who want it compacter): You may want to have a look at style 9920 - I included Stylish in my "compact" style. If you don't need it all, you may just search for the Stylish block (everything is commented in there) and grab the ideas.

Admitted: style 9920 at the moment only covers Stylish 0.5.9 and 1.0 - but I will update it for 1.0.1 ASAP if necessary. I just found 1.0.1 a few minutes ago, and will install it as soon as I'm home at my machine running the 1.0 (for the others, I decided to stay with 0.5.9 until I get happy with the 1.x version).
  • edited May 2009
    @np:
    Even a better idea regarding the filter box:
    • Leave the box NOT selected as you planned but after opening the window, let a single tab-keystroke select the input field so that the user can straight start typing
    [...Edit: as for this one: this seems to work now.No idea why this didn't work when I last tried...]
    • Additionally, within the Firefox-Addon-filter-box, there's kind of a button ("X") that deletes the filter restriction and makes the list display the whole content again. That would also be nice to have in the stylish window.

@Drugoy:
    You can use these attributes to style the stylish window. Like
    #styles richlistitem[type="app"] { background-image: url(...) !important;}
    or
    #styles richlistitem[is-disabled="true"] { padding-left:30px !important; }
  • @FlunkLuc:
    dammit, WHAT DO THEY DO?
  • edited May 2009
    @Drugoy: Properly applied, they point you to a secret guide that tells you how to ask politely, without swearing and screaming.

And additionally, they give you an option to style disabled styles and styles of different types in a special way. Like this:
  • @FlunkLuc: That's really a nice style! Almost exactly what I'd wish to have for the sidebar. Hope you will share it with us some day! (if you already published it, a link is welcome!) I like the checkmark icon (instead of the big one from Stylish) for enabled styles. How about that red "oneway wrong side" traffic sign (-) for disabled ones, in the same shade as you put the disabled text - instead of the "DISABLED" text, arrow, and additional indent? I'd even suggest that as default style for the next release - far better than the style of the current 1.0 :)
  • Posted By: makondoI thought you're gonna say that and counted. It's wrong ;-)
    Well, it's what Firefox says, so don't blame me!
    Posted By: FlunkLucAdditionally, within the Firefox-Addon-filter-box, there's kind of a button ("X") that deletes the filter restriction and makes the list display the whole content again. That would also be nice to have in the stylish window.
    That's because that one is not a timed textbox. You have click to to start the search, so you also have to click to clear it. Stylish's works likes Firefox's Bookmarks or History searches.

That is a nice style for the manage window and it shows the kind of thing you can do with it. I don't think you could've made the 0.5.9 manage window look like that.
    Posted By: Drugoywill you bring back the interior editor features? and will you work at all in this way?
    If you're referring to the !important button and the colour picker, no I don't plan to.
  • edited May 2009
    @FlunkLucy
    thx for info, seems like it's useless for me.
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)If you're referring to the !important button and the colour picker, no I don't plan to.
    I was also refering to the idea, that some interior editor would be more than just nice, but seems like you are not going to do anything in this way, so I'd better use 0.5.9 it's more functional.
    Btw, can you share the source code of 0.5.9? Maybe there will be one who will be able and interested in developing it and people like me will not write "whining" messages here.
  • Posted By: IzzyHope you will share it with us some day!
    No problem, I just uploaded it here: http://userstyles.org/styles/17571
    Have fun.
  • edited May 2009
    @Izzy: I forgot: if you want to change the disabled icon to the "stop-sign" you have to adapt my style at three places:
    a) "Indent disabled items"
    b) "Disabled Styles: Icon when not selected"
    c) "Disabled Styles: Icon when style is selected"

Just delete a) completely and replace b) and c) with those you find here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/229108068/differenticons.txt.html
  • Posted By: makondoI'm not getting any error warning. Nothing. Just like before, a style simply won't apply but nothing else happens. Made an intentional mistake, clicked preview, style turned off and that's it.
    I must second this: Just installed 1.0.1, closed FF (to be sure), and started it again. Opened a style, put an error in, clicked "preview" - no error reported.
  • Works for me. Note that the errors don't appear as popup anymore but in the edit window:
  • Posted By: DrugoyBtw, can you share the source code of 0.5.9?
    Every release of Stylish includes the source in the package.
  • Posted By: FlunkLucWorks for me. Note that the errors don't appear as popup anymore but in the edit window:
    Your screenshot looks quite a bit different compared to mine - I don't have that "URL" input at the bottom? Nevermind, I tried again - this time with a different error, and this time you are right: If worked as you described. Note, however, that the following seems not to be recognized as an error:
    /* Some comment here which I forgot to close
    pre { font-color: #aaaaaa; }
    /* the previous line was intended to be used.
    And this comment is closed correctly. */
    As you easily can see (considering the quoted to be the entire style), the first comment is not closed. Stylish however seems just to search for the "next" closing tag, regardless whether a second opening tag appears before it. I'm not sure, but AFAIK the above code is not conforming to the rules. Correct me, please, if I'm wrong.
  • edited May 2009
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Stylish 1.0.1 beta available here.
    Jason:
    • Thanks. The extras for Thunderbird are much appreciated.
    • Can I get dialog#stylish textbox#update-url in Firefox as well? It would mitigate the "write style / paste style / uninstall style / reinstall from US.O" case.
    • A new icon style to reflect app styles? If one or more app styles are enabled, an overlaid "A" in a corner (a la multiple icons/overlays in NoScript) would be handy to more completely reflect whether styles are active (FF and TB both, please).
    • In case I'm not the only whiny TB user here, I've got Stylish: Show Thunderbird options uploaded to reveal the new features. (Thanks again.)
    ...any plans to use tags on US.O and expand search or sort capabilities? Default search: [long] description, tags, adv. search in specific fields (or even in the code)? ...okay, code search could be serious server-side overhead. Tag search would be cool, though. Depending on display, it would be a great, standardized way to organize and find the styles, esp. with metatags ([app="Firefox"], [ext="AdBlock Plus"]-- or require the UUID for serious consistency).

ETA: Before I forget: I could use all this stuff in Songbird, too. Feathered things in general, really. TIA.

ETA: The new updateUrl box wasn't showing in Firefox because I went back and added comments-- C++-style --and promptly broke it.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Stylish 1.0.1 beta available here.
    The inline error display is k-rad and way useful, by the way.
  • edited August 2009
    Izzy,
    that's why i asked if it's working at all. I made a few intentional errors and some were not reported which lead me to believe it aint' working but it did report some errors later. Brackets are almost never reported here. Didn't np say it's Fx' function? In any case, it's unreliable for me.
    Here's an example:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
    @-moz-document domain(en.wikipedia.org) {
    { color: red !important; }
    div { background: transparent !important; border: none !important; } }

^ no errors reported.
  • Posted By: IzzyYour screenshot looks quite a bit different compared to mine - I don't have that "URL" input at the bottom?
    Sorry, should have mentioned that the edit window's style is adapted, too:

/* ---------- Errors ---------------------------------- */ #errors label { font-weight: bold !important; color:darkred!important; } /* ---------- Show Update-URL ---------------------- */ #update-url { display: block !important; height:20px !important; } #update-url > hbox { width:80% !important; margin-left:7px !important; color:blue !important; } #update-url:before { content:"URL: "; font-weight: bold !important; color: #444444 !important; }
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Check for errors (happens automatically on preview)
    If the text of one error message is longer than one line (i.e. if the window is not wide enough for the line), the field containing the error messages still is only one line high with no scroll bar.
    Is there a way you can correct that behaviour or is that Firefox acting up?