Stylish 1.0b1

edited March 2009 in Stylish
Available here.

Over and above Stylish 1.0a3:
  • You can turn all styles on and off immediately. This is useful for troubleshooting or when doing development work. You can also start Firefox up with Stylish off (in case a style has made Firefox unusable) with the command line parameter "--stylish-disable".
  • Added an option for where the Manage window should open. extensions.stylish.manageView:
    • 0 - inside the add-ons dialog (default)
    • 1 - stand-alone dialog
    • 2 - sidebar
  • Added a hidden element in the manage window that shows the ID of the style, just for HKK.
  • All of the bugs reported against 1.0a3 (I think)
If you want Stylish to try to import your Stylish 0.5 styles again, set extensions.stylish.legacyFileMigrated to false and restart Firefox. If you find any bugs, please post them here and include your Firefox version and OS.

Things left that hope to do or fix:
  • Localization
  • Support for other apps.
  • New icons.
  • Possibly anything else you suggest here.

Comments

• sorting doesn't seem to do anything?
    Possibly anything else you suggest here.
    it would be nice if extensions.stylish.manageView 1 saved window position/size
    and any chance of DOMi integration again?
  • Whoops... I just uploaded a new version that has sorting working again. Maybe no one will notice my mistake :)
    Posted By: ChoGGiit would be nice if extensions.stylish.manageView 1 saved window position/size
    and any chance of DOMi integration again?
    Will do.
  • thank you :)
  • Not what I'd call "sidebar friendly"--too much "white space". Plus, instead of one-click to enable/disable a style (from any window), now it'll take two? (first select the style, then click enable/disable)
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Added a hidden element in the manage window that shows the ID of the style, just for HKK.
    Okay, after laughing half my ass off at that xD here a question: if the element is hidden, how do i put it to any use? ^^
    But, thanks for implementing it already, i guess xD
  • Posted By: mod_wastrelNot what I'd call "sidebar friendly"--too much "white space"
    I'm sure someone will write a style to make it as crunched up as you'd like.
    Posted By: mod_wastrelnstead of one-click to enable/disable a style (from any window), now it'll take two?
    Yes, you will have to use 100% more finger power in this version.
    Posted By: HKKif the element is hidden, how do i put it to any use? ^^
    @namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul); #styles *[anonid="id"] { display: -moz-box !important;}
  • edited March 2009
    I don't know if i'd use that option often but when i do, it'd be quite helpful, thanks for that, np! However, the number is displayed under the styles name making already huge space enormous. Is there a way to put that number right next to the style on the right? TIA!
    And i have to agree with ChoGGi on DOMi. BTW, the Rclick menu in DOMi now only shows 'copy' and not 'copy element' or whatever it used to be (with choices). How's that possible?
  • It installed and is working fine with me (FF3.1b3), but I miss the sidebar keyboard shortcut and the Tools menu option :(
    Thanks for your work!
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)
    Posted By: HKKif the element is hidden, how do i put it to any use? ^^
    @namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul); #styles *[anonid="id"] { display: -moz-box !important;}
    Ohhhh, nice. Now i see it, but i dont remember asking for this xD Maybe im forgetful, or maybe someone else asked for it. ^^
  • edited March 2009
    Problem. Just noticed that b1 didn't transfer all of my styles but rather the styles from 2 days ago. So, did the about:config trick, restarted - all styles are doubled! In way, that was good 'cause i've already create/changed a few styles since yesterday, having dupes actually helped trace the changes. But i don't think that's how it suppose to work ... is it?. BTW, having styles IDs actually helped me there too as the second sets of styles had higher IDs so i knew to delete those. I like it ... if only that ID can be displayed next to styles titles not under ;-)

Oh, and another thing i like is that while i still can open styles with DblClick, i need to click Disable button to disable them - i used to accidentally click on them and disable w/out even noticing i did ('til something was looking weird to me).
    Now back to deleting 100 dupes ...
    Thanks np! (no, really, thanks for the update, it works well here so far [despite the prob above])
  • edited March 2009
    Here's what i wonder ... we now can enable/disable styles. I understand (that's what i see) we can disable all and when we enable them again, the previous state is enabled, that is the ones that were disabled before are still disabled. This is just perfect. However. While all styles disabled, there's no way to enable selected - which is actually the main reason i was asking for the option in the first place. If you enable one style (to see how it might look w/out any styles interfering or to troubleshoot), it's not enabled and therefor the option is useless. Or am i missing something?
  • HKKHKK
    edited March 2009
    Posted By: makondoSo, did the about:config trick, restarted - all styles are doubled! ... But i don't think that's how it suppose to work ... is it?
    It was like that ever since Jason implemented the config option to reimport styles. If you want to have the ones that were previously in your 1.0 version removed, you will have to remove/rename the stylish.sqlite file; Stylish will then create a new one. ^^
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)http://forum.userstyles.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=2418#Comment_10765
    Oh yea, I remember it now xD uhhh.... heh, now i know what i wanted to do with it, but the openEdit function puzzles me xD Do you have any kind of note or docs on stylish's functions, or could you give me a line of example code on how to call the Edit window of a certain style by the style ID ? ^^
    anyway, thanks a lot already for throwing this is for me! :D
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)
    Posted By: mod_wastrelNot what I'd call "sidebar friendly"--too much "white space"
    No doubts there.
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)
    Posted By: mod_wastrelnstead of one-click to enable/disable a style (from any window), now it'll take two?
    Yes, you will have to use 100% more finger power in this version.
    It's not really about more effort (carpal tunnel syndrome or not--no, not me... someone else); it's about good interface design. What's good for the typical user who almost never uses a particular function is not the same as what's good for the typical "developer" who uses that function constantly.

Guess I'll be waiting for the "Developer Edition" (presuming I don't write it myself). :D

Thanks.
  • edited March 2009
    Posted By: mod_wastrel
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)
    Posted By: mod_wastrelNot what I'd call "sidebar friendly"--too much "white space"
    No doubts there....
    ;-) http://userstyles.org/styles/16199 ;-)

And for the record, i love the new way, as i've said above. I can't tell you how many times i would accidentally click on a style (i open Stylish in the sidebar with movable border), it's then disabled and i have no idea why something doesn't look 'right' anymore. Later, i've learned to go straight to the styles and check which one is disabled ... again. PITA! I'm quite happy that i practically have no way of doing this any more. Plus, i don't think we disable styles (on purpose) all that often to worry about one additional click. When making a style, it's better to use the Disable All anyway to test it in clean environment (well, that would be the way if only it would be possible to enable selected styles while in the Disabled state - see my post above).
  • edited March 2009
    Is it me or something is wrong here - i can't copy anything in the DOMi any more? Nothing else has changed since i installed the 1.0* No errors. Just won't copy. Plus, as i've said above, there's no Copy selector (or whatever it was) option in the context menu.
  • going by what np said above, he's planning to re-add it
  • Yes, that'd be great! I'm suffering here ;-)
  • Posted By: HKKOh yea, I remember it now xD uhhh.... heh, now i know what i wanted to do with it, but the openEdit function puzzles me xD Do you have any kind of note or docs on stylish's functions, or could you give me a line of example code on how to call the Edit window of a certain style by the style ID ? ^^
    var style = stylishOverlay.service.find(yourId, stylishOverlay.service.REGISTER_STYLE_ON_CHANGE | stylishOverlay.service.CALCULATE_META); stylishOverlay.openEdit(stylishCommon.getWindowName("stylishEdit", style.id), {style: style});
    Not tested...
  • Two other things I miss: "Insert" > "Site Rules..." & "Insert" > "Color".
    Also, as someone else said in other thread, support for the tabulator key would be good.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)var style = stylishOverlay.service.find(yourId, stylishOverlay.service.REGISTER_STYLE_ON_CHANGE | stylishOverlay.service.CALCULATE_META); stylishOverlay.openEdit(stylishCommon.getWindowName("stylishEdit", style.id), {style: style});
    Not tested...
    hmm... unfortunately, that does not work. It opens a new edit window; however, that edit window is empty (caption is "New style"). I also tried eliminating the variable in case Keyconfig doesn't like that. Like so: stylishOverlay.openEdit(stylishCommon.getWindowName("stylishEdit", style.id), {style: stylishOverlay.service.find(yourId, stylishOverlay.service.REGISTER_STYLE_ON_CHANGE | stylishOverlay.service.CALCULATE_META)});This did not work either. Maybe you have another idea ^^

Oh yea, another thing i noticed. Have you disabled syntax-checking in the 1.0 builds? cause ive had users of 0.5.9 report small typos in my styles which my stylish (1.0b) didnt tell me about. Or maybe its just a bug ^^

~HKK
  • You did replace yourId with an ID, right?

Insert site rules, insert color, and syntax checking are all gone. If you want them, use It's All Text with another editor.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)You did replace yourId with an ID, right?
    Naturally. I'ma try a few other IDs now...

LOL okay, problem solved. >.>
    Keyconfig needs a browser restart (or actually, just a new FF window) for the changes to the shortcuts to apply. However, it doesn't tell you ._. (it only says so when creating new shortcuts, not when changing them).

I feel stupid now ._.
  • Updating styles doesn't seem to work. Is this a known problem? A few styles report "Updates not possible" for no apparent reason. The rest report "An error occurred checking for updates", either instantly or after what looks like a 5-second timeout. Should the update checker be trying to check *all* styles in parallel? I've got something like 70 installed.
  • Posted By: makondoIs it me or something is wrong here - i can't copy anything in the DOMi any more? Nothing else has changed since i installed the 1.0* No errors. Just won't copy. Plus, as i've said above, there's no Copy selector (or whatever it was) option in the context menu.
    same thing here on Firefox 3.0.8
  • Posted By: Alois HammerUpdating styles doesn't seem to work. Is this a known problem? A few styles report "Updates not possible" for no apparent reason. The rest report "An error occurred checking for updates", either instantly or after what looks like a 5-second timeout.
    Send stylish.sqlite in your profile folder to jason.barnabe@gmail.com and I'll take a look.
  • ^ i have the same thing. Thought you said it needs fixing in the betas ... I don't really need it 'cause most of the styles i have are mine and a couple of somebody's else i can update manually if needed. But i just wanted to check how it works and well, it doesn't. All the same as in Hammer's post.
  • Compacted, compressed, and forwarded the SQLite database anyhow.
  • You're probably referring to when I said I was open to suggestions on how to fix to problem of having to click "Done" on every one. This is about the update returning the incorrect result.
  • It could be, np. If you'll find out what the problem for Alois Hammer is, could you please post here, thank you!

And about the DOMi ... i know you didn't forget ... right? ;-)