Stylish vs UserChrome.css Speed Up...

edited March 2009 in Stylish
Hi,

I'm a newbie in CSS and other concepts yet getting to know Stylish + CSS day by day so excuse/correct me if I'm wrong in anything below...

Stylish is powerful and on a today's decent 2/4 core machine its "interpreted" speed is almost equivalent to speed of Userchrome.css' "compiled" XUL.MFL. Yet on my oldest rig (1 core 1.6ghz), Stylish's speed is noticeably lesser than Userchrome.css' compiled interface...

What I mean is; if you take a heavy style (full of graphics, hovers, conditions and etc., for me MBlue series modifications) and compare its rendering speed via Stylish versus Userchrome.css, Stylish clearly lags behind. With Userchrome.css heavy styles seem to render "in time" where with Stylish heavy styles seem to render "when available" causing sluggish styled UI elements...

At least these are what I experienced while using Stylish and Userchrome.css. Why I bring this up is this; Can there be options in the next release of Stylish to enable user to "export selected style to Userchrome.css / delete exported style from Userchrome.css" for speeding up purposes (mainly 1st)? Since XUL.MFL is there for speeding things up and they use almost same format AFAIK, it'll be a simple cut/copy/paste operation between Stylish(.rdf) and Userchrome.css...

Anyway I already ported my heavy styles to Userchrome.css and enjoying speed ups. Yet it was Stylish's lagged behavior forced me to research and make use of Userchrome.css in the first place. So I also write these to guide who may also be experiencing speed issues since mozillazine and this forum doesn't clearly indicate that use of Usechrome.css instead of Stylish "can" increase your speed...

Thanks for this great add-on yet expected to see Stylish v1.0x on addons.mozilla.org instead of a threads published here...

Bye...

Comments

• Hello,

please don't get me wrong or take this too personally, I'm just stating my opinion on the subject.
    I haven't tried applying styles to userchrome.css, but i have to say that i notice no slow-down whatsoever using stylish (I'm on an athlon X2 (2core) 2GHz). Honestly, I can understand if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a newer PC, but if you want to keep using that old 1.6GHz machine, you shouldn't complain about performance issues. Stylish doesn't claim to be the most efficient way to customize your web experience, it just wants you to be actually able to do it, with a reasonable amount of overview (and it's growing ever better with the recent v1.0 alphas).
    Also, if you want good performance, Firefox isn't the best choice for a browser. IE is faster application-wise, but slower when it comes to loading websites, and i can understand if you don't like it (i despise it myself), but Opera is a very good alternative, regarding both speed and security. The biggest advantage to Firefox these days is its many possibilities for customization and the huge number of extensions already available.

I hope you can see my point.

~HKK

PS: Ah yea, the v1.0's aren't posted on addons.mozilla yet because they are in alpha stage. Once a release is made, it will surely be posted on the addons page. The versions posted here are built for testing purposes mainly, not for broad end-user deployment
  • He's not complaining, he's asking for an option to save a style in userchrome.css.

Anyways, I foresee 2 problems.

1. Once styles are appended to userchrome.css they won't be able to be edited as easily (i.e. there will be no modular format for selecting a certain sites style).

2. There will be no way to upload styles within the stylish interface for people who use this option.

It seems like more trouble than it's worth when you can just add the code manually.
  • Yeah, I've heard of people doing this, but it does seem like more trouble than it's worth to automate it, considering doing it manually isn't difficult or even very common.
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Yeah, I've heard of people doing this, but it does seem like more trouble than it's worth to automate it, considering doing it manually isn't difficult or even very common.
    Why not? It is! You can't do a "clever" copy-paste action from stylish.rdf to userChrome.css or userContent.css fast. I think the topic started wanted to see a "clever" automated action. But in fact it will require much more resources (I mean time for coding this function), than it seems from the first sight.
    If this function really speeds up the styles work - then I would agree, that this function should be in "to do list". But I also wouldn't put it on the first place in this list.

Ofc. all written above is IMHO.
    Posted By: noneAnyways, I foresee 2 problems.
    1. Once styles are appended to userchrome.css they won't be able to be edited as easily (i.e. there will be no modular format for selecting a certain sites style).
    Can you please explain to me what did you mean about the modular format? Why there won't be one for selecting a certain sites styles? Isn't it supported by usercChrome.css? As I see the situation - it just a matter of how this function will be done.
    P.s.: I don't mean you are not right, I just want to make sure, that I understand you right. And as I know almost nothing in programing I just want to clarify some details for myself.
    Posted By: noneIt seems like more trouble than it's worth when you can just add the code manually.
    Why it should be a trouble at all? As I think, the most easy and the most speedy way to implement this function to Stylish is to make a special style which can be edited just as others but will have a special action: synchronize with userChrome.css file.
    Again, all written above is IMHO.

P.s.: why everybody is talking only about userChrome.css? Why no one mentioned userContent.css?
  • I'm not sure userContent would be any faster than Stylish.