Stylish 1.0a3

edited March 2009 in Stylish
Available here.

Over and above Stylish 1.0a2:
  • Fixed a bug in Firefox 3 beta where things were completely broken.
  • Fixed a bug where preview wouldn't work on edit sometimes.
  • Copy Style Info button to show your friends your l33t setup.
  • Stylish icon changes depending on if the current site has styles installed.
  • A global style on/off preference extensions.stylish.styleRegistrationEnabled. This requires a restart.
  • A button to switch between Install view and Edit view when installing. It'll remember what you pick.
If you want Stylish to try to import your Stylish 0.5 styles again, set extensions.stylish.legacyFileMigrated to false and restart Firefox. If you find any bugs, please post them here and include your Firefox version and OS.

Things left that hope to do or fix:
  • Make on/off apply immediately. Blocked by a possible Firefox bug.
  • More obvious install from file function.
  • Localization
  • Support for other apps.
  • New icons.
  • Possibly anything else you suggest here.

Comments

• Before i give it another try, can you tell me what this means, please: '...If you want Stylish to try to import your Stylish 0.5 styles again, set extensions.stylish.legacyFileMigrated to false and restart Firefox...'?
  • If you previously used any version of Stylish 1.0 and it didn't import your Stylish 0.5 styles, you can flip that pref and it'll try to import them again.
  • thanks for the copy style button :)

found a couple bugs
    load a style from userstyles, switch to edit mode, switch back to install mode, press install.
    it installs the style but the dialog stays open

in the style manager when you click beside the "User Styles" stack icon, the style listing goes blank till you click it again
    if you click say themes then user styles then it shows your themes instead of styles

not a bug, but when i used find updates, it shows a done button for each style
    you either have to click each one or close the window to get rid of them
    how about just show a button for those with updates and leave the rest as they are?

also when you use the search bar to just show certain styles, how about having the copy style button reflect that?
  • Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)
    • Possibly anything else you suggest here.
    Well ... if you ask me : a better editor with a search/replace function .
    I know that's more difficult to implement than an [!important] button which prints the word "!important", but it is also much more important!
    Isn't it ?
    What about a vi command line ? (I guess it is supposed to be a joke. But why not asking the impossible ? )
    For syntax Highlighting, I'll wait until version 2.0 :-)
  • I've said this before... I'm not developing Stylish to develop a CSS editor. I do, however, realize that people want a better editor, so that's why you can use It's All Text or Diavolo with Stylish to get the better editor without me having to develop it.
  • Jason,
    I didn't know what you did say before, but I knew what you would answer, because nobody wants to develop an editor.
    What I didn't know about was "It's All Text" ... and many thanks for this advice ! It's great.
    Maybe you should just make the "It's All Text" button appear in Stylish, even if the extension is not installed, with a short description of that feature and a link to install the extension, so that option would become more obvious.
  • HKKHKK
    edited March 2009
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)I've said this before... I'm not developing Stylish to develop a CSS editor. I do, however, realize that people want a better editor, so that's why you can use It's All Text or Diavolo with Stylish to get the better editor without me having to develop it.
    I concur. In fact, i wouldnt mind if stylish didnt have its own editor at all, by work with files or the likes (which is what i had expected when i first installed it).
    Stylish + It's all Text! + Editor with syntax highlighting = perfect development environment

on a more general note: ive not encountered any bug so far with the new alpha; will post them if i do.

A suggestion i have posted before: In the new Style Manager, it would be nice if the Edit dialog would open when you double-click on a style (-> dbl-clk on style icon = enable/disable, dbl-clk on rest of style item = edit)

~HKK

Edit:
    Posted By: AgneloMaybe you should just make the "It's All Text" button appear in Stylish, even if the extension is not installed, with a short description of that feature and a link to install the extension, so that option would become more obvious.
    Thats a good idea. i second that
  • Posted By: ChoGGiload a style from userstyles, switch to edit mode, switch back to install mode, press install.
    it installs the style but the dialog stays open
    I see this, it looks like it's just not passing all the parameters back and forth.
    Posted By: ChoGGiin the style manager when you click beside the "User Styles" stack icon, the style listing goes blank till you click it again
    if you click say themes then user styles then it shows your themes instead of styles
    I see this too, should be easy to fix. Do you test things for a living? I would've never thought to try that :)
    Posted By: ChoGGinot a bug, but when i used find updates, it shows a done button for each style
    you either have to click each one or close the window to get rid of them
    how about just show a button for those with updates and leave the rest as they are?
    Because there are different statuses for not having updates - there are no updates, the site is down, or updates aren't possible with that style.
    Posted By: ChoGGialso when you use the search bar to just show certain styles, how about having the copy style button reflect that?
    Probably...
    Posted By: HKKA suggestion i have posted before: In the new Style Manager, it would be nice if the Edit dialog would open when you double-click on a style (-> dbl-clk on style icon = enable/disable, dbl-clk on rest of style item = edit)
    I thought I did this, but I guess not.
  • :) nope just happened to notice it
    I see this too, should be easy to fix. Do you test things for a living? I would've never thought to try that :)
  • edited March 2009
    What is "Copy Style Info"? - what does this mean? > "Copy Style Info button to show your friends your l33t setup "
    And still again - can the manager be open in the sidebar?
    Oh, and this version works all right here so far.
  • "Copy style info" copies info on your styles to the clipboard. Like so:

* Combine Stop/Reload buttons <http://userstyles.org/styles/10> * Single window mode <http://userstyles.org/styles/302> * DOM Inspector - reduce indent on DOM tree <http://userstyles.org/styles/819> * Smaller menus * Tools -> Web Search remover <http://userstyles.org/styles/311> * YouTube - No Comments <http://userstyles.org/styles/6548> * JavaScript Debugger - Reduce font size <http://userstyles.org/styles/268> * Unit test (disabled)

Sidebar doesn't work at the moment.
  • Thanks! Can it be saved as HTML or BBcode instead?
  • It copies multiple flavours. If you paste in something that's expecting HTML, it'll paste HTML.
  • edited March 2009
    Thanks! not exactly what i meant. I was looking for a local html page, like bookmarks.html, let's say.
    So, how about the sidebar? Are you planning this for the 1.0 final ... maybe? (i'm back to 5.9 where i plan on staying until i find a way to open it in the sidebar).

EDIT: forgot to add - an HTML page with links pointing to the style's page and opening in a new tab! (vs. window as it does now).
  • Posted By: makondoSo, how about the sidebar? Are you planning this for the 1.0 final ... maybe? (i'm back to 5.9 where i plan on staying until i find a way to open it in the sidebar).
    There's another thread concerning the side-bar thing for the current version. As is also stated there, Stylish v1.0x can be opened in then sidebar even more easily, since it integrates with the Addons/etc dialog.
    I think we shouldn't put anything more on Jason than we have to if it can be achieved with relatively little effort and another extension or two ^^

~HKK
  • But on that note, i just discovered the comfort of using stylish functions with other stuff (in this case, keyconfig).
    Jason: Could you implement some kind of "debug view" which shows the internal ID of each style? Because with that I could use openEdit() directly for my most commonly edited styles (i.e. the ones in active development). Maybe make it so that it can be enabled via command-line parameter or about:config setting? would be really neat ^^

~HKK
  • Posted By: HKK ...I think we shouldn't put anything more on Jason than we have to if it can be achieved with relatively little effort and another extension or two ^^
    Are you serious?!...
    Did i miss something and you're now the Stylish developer and the forum's mod all in one? Please stop ordering people around, it's getting increasingly obnoxious.
  • Posted By: makondoAre you serious?!...
    Did i miss something and you're now the Stylish developer and the forum's mod all in one? Please stop ordering people around, it's getting increasingly obnoxious.
    I'm sorry, I didnt mean to order around, I was just stating my opinion. And I'm not a Stylish developer. But i am a programmer myself, so i know how much work goes into what often doesnt look like much. I am very well aware that Jason also knows not to take too much on himself. If he finds someting doesn't belong into Stylish, he will say so. It's just my honest opinion that Jason doesn't need to implement a whole new module (sidebar integration) -- though i dont know if its a lot work or not -- if you can just install AioS (All-in-one Sidebar) and have the stylish manager in the sidebar very easily.

~HKK
  • edited March 2009
    You still don't get it do you? I don't want to install an additional (heavy and often conflicting) exts. just to get one function out of it, especially since this option does exist in the 5.9 series. And np is the the only one to say yes or no. I don't think he needs you to look after his wellbeing as he has been managing it pretty well himself for years now ;-)
    I'll be keeping it in the other thread though.
  • Posted By: makondoYou still don't get it do you? I don't want to install an additional (heavy and often conflicting) exts. just to get one function out of it, especially since this option does exist in the 5.9 series.
    I really didn't get that, i didn't see you say that anywhere. and I didn't know AioS caused any conflicts. and on a side note, its 0.5.9, not 5.9 -- would be neat if we were 5 versions into the history already xD
    you shouldnt take everything so seriously. its bad for the heart
  • I'm reworking the code the code that overlays the add-ons dialog to be able to overlay anything, so there will be an option of add-ons dialog manager, standalone manager, and sidebar manager. There's really not much extra code that's required to this - it's shared code wrapped with small containers for the specific place they should appear.
  • HKK, thanks for you concern about my heart. It's pretty good though (did you see ;-) up there^^?).

Jason - THANK YOU!... back .5.9 waiting ...
  • add-ons dialog manager, standalone manager, and sidebar manager
    oh goody, didn't really like the add-ons dialog
  • edited March 2009
    A very interesting thing happened and i wonder if any of you might have an idea bout this one (which is probably much less complicated than i think it is).
    I installed 1.0a3 on top of .5.9. It went all right but the styles didn't transfer, so i did the about:config trick, restarted and all was well.
    I then installed .5.9 on top of .a3 as i've done a half of a dozen times before but this time it just hang in there and the exts.manager downloads kept saying 'waiting ...' While waiting along, i noticed that all my scrollbars - including the main, window scrollbar! - took on my style which has never happen before, never! It works only in the sidebar but here it was all over, browser window, the addons manager, etc. ?!?
    Eventually, i had to stop 'Waiting...' 'cause it was apparently going nowhere, restarted, uninstalled .a3, restarted, installed .5.9 and my scrollbars switched back to 'normal' except for the styled ones to be seen in the sidebar as usual.

What was all this about? Is this because Stylish uses styles differently somehow? I'm very puzzled ...
  • I don't know what happened there. Nothing special happens to Stylish when you install new versions.
  • The add-ons dialog is broken with Stylish on Mac OS X.
    See this.
    http://userstyles.org/styles/15883
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I have access to Windows and Linux, but not Mac. I'll look into what rules are defined for the other tabs/buttons and see if I can emulate them.
  • edited March 2009
    Seems like I've missed the Stylish development for quite long time... I still use 0.5.9 version. Though it has some bugs, it is quite stable.
    Now I see that there is a 1.0a3 version... IIRC letter "a" in version means alpha (not even betta) stage of development and means that it is not recommended to be used by wide audience. But as I see - many people here are using it, and I have read todo list... there are no critical bugs listed in it... And I've just read the post about the 1.0a2 version and I saw there pretty cool features, which I really wanted since long ago... so I want to migrate to stable 1.0 version ASAP. So I've got a question: is this version stable (except the listed bugs, ofc.)?

And one more question: in the post about 1.0a1 version I saw this: "English only.", and in further releases I didn't find a word about any added localizations... I am willing to make a localization to russian, if it's haven't been done yet. Tell me how to make a localization and I will make a russian one.
  • I find the current version stable. It doesn't hurt to try it out; it won't touch your 0.5.9 stylish.rdf file.

I'm waiting until I'm sure I won't be adding more strings before I get it localized. If I need some help with Russian, I'll let you know.