Few minor ideas...

edited January 2009 in Stylish
Hi,

Have a few little niggles with Stylish that i thought would be helpful constructed in the form of a forum post. Who knows they may have been brought up before....

Firstly when creating styles it would be great if the creator supported use of the tab key/button inside the style window, i like using tab instead of spaces, and popular editors support this too, i can only imagine this is a minor change but would prefer the tab to created a tab space inside the editor instead of jumping to the Save / Preview / Cancel buttons...

Confirm on cancel edit existing style::
By this i mean when you pop open an existing style and make a change, if by some mistake you hit cancel there's no confirm to discard the changes, so all work is lost... :-( Works fine on a new style "Discard or contniue making changes" etc....

Location of beginners guide?
Seen a few posts here on the forum, but not much that actually covers getting stuck in with Stylish.... something that covers the very basics...

Reason i ask is when i suggest Stylish it would be nice if i could give them some visual aid to show them the basics to get going....

I made this page in my spare time, it's just a quick fix....
http://stylishhowto.webs.com/

I'll expand on that some more if i have time, but it's basically showing you what to do to get started, without covering the CSS side of things.... since CSS is well documented enough it would not make sense to echo the hundreds of pages around the web and simply stick to the stylish specific stuff.

Lastly as i requested before i would still love to see Category sorting in stylish...

Can i also ask how Stylish was created? Are Firefox addons fairly straight-forward to code?.... If it's straight-forward enough i don't mind helping with the code or creating a seperate fork with some changes...

Feedback appreciated... ;)

Comments

• Posted By: t31osFirstly when creating styles it would be great if the creator supported use of the tab key/button inside the style window, i like using tab instead of spaces, and popular editors support this too, i can only imagine this is a minor change but would prefer the tab to created a tab space inside the editor instead of jumping to the Save / Preview / Cancel buttons...
    Stylish is supposed to be a manager of user styles, not an editor. There is (was?) support for using Stylish with It's All Text! to be able to use your favourite editor to edit things. Additionally, I'm investigating integrating Diavolo into Stylish.
    Posted By: t31osConfirm on cancel edit existing style::
    Makes sense. I'll double check this.
    Posted By: t31osLocation of beginners guide
    I've been meaning to do this, but I'm waiting until I finish the next version.
    Posted By: t31osLastly as i requested before i would still love to see Category sorting in stylish...
    Categories like app/site/global like on this site?
    Posted By: t31osCan i also ask how Stylish was created? Are Firefox addons fairly straight-forward to code?.... If it's straight-forward enough i don't mind helping with the code or creating a seperate fork with some changes...
    If you know JavaScript and XUL, you won't be lost looking at the code. The most complicated thing in Stylish is keeping track of when you need to apply the styles (when someone edits an existing style, do nothing; when they previews, remove the old style and apply the new one, when they cancel remove the new one, apply the old one).
  • XUL looks fairly straight forward from looking at firefox files, and not far off XML which looks very much like HTML.....

I would imagine it's a matter of just grasping the format and away you go!!.....

RE:Categories....

As in sorting styles in the stylish window....
  • You can sort them already, so you'll have to elaborate further.
  • Yeah sorry Jason, what i mean is if there were support to sort into groups then view your styles on a group basis.

Meaning you don't have to always have all styles listed. Simply show those in the selected group....

There are styles i keep but never touch, it seems pointless listing all styles when i'm not going to be changing half or more of them. If i could say set them to a category, then i only need see them when i select that category, rather then always..

Imagine the styles list was like the root directory of a website, where categories are folders and styles are files, you don't want to see whats in the folders unless you specify to view that folder.

Simply put, i'm gathering quite a collection of styles, half of which i won't touch, so it would be nice to plonk them out of view (unless specified). It would it make managing the styles much easier for me, though i'm sure anyone with a big screen won't have this issue. I'm on a 17 inch screen, so i constantly have to switch between windows or in the case of stylish use it in a small window which is very cluttered with lots of styles.... that need not be listed....

As a work around i've taken some styles and combined them into 1, for example 3 - 4 Firefox 3 mods i have are now in 1 style, but it would nice not having to do that.

If categories were an option i'd hope for something along the lines of....

All - (default view)
    Global - view styles that are global
    App - view app styles
    Site - view site styles
    - Custom - Custom made category, this could be a sub category of Global, app or site with a user set name....

This way if i have 100 styles (for example) i could view them on a category basis without the need to list all 100 of them.....

If categories existed i'd proberly have something like this...

All - Styles i'm working, left in the default category or ROOT level....
    Global
    - Global mods - my defined sub-cat
    App
    - Firefox 3 mods - my defined sub-cat
    Site
    site-cat style 1
    site-cat style 2
    site-cat style 3
    - Forums - my defined sub-cat
    Sub-cat style 1
    Sub-cat style 2
    Sub-cat style 3
    Sub-cat style 4
    Sub-cat style 5
    - Search engines - my defined sub-cat
    - Shopping - my defined sub-cat
    - Games - my defined sub-cat
    - Downloads - my defined sub-cat

A tree like structure, much like how files and folders work, just allowing more tidy management of your styles....

It may not be something that will benefit every stylish user, but for anyone who manages lots of styles but rarely touches half of them it would make things a little easier to manage.

Hope that makes a little more sense now... :)

p.s How come no smilies? ... :-( <---- no smile.... :-(
  • I'm sure many of us would appreciate it, big screen or small. I have a huge one but still would like to be able to sort them in groups, like bkmrks manager, for instance. There are numerous threads with this request already ... i actually thought it was in the works for the next release ...
    Here's a thread from june-oct. last year (more links at the bottom of it)
    another one
    and another one yet
  • Would tagging and filter-by-tag be good enough?
  • Not for me. I don't use tagging (and find it quite inconvenient as i have to remember tags instead of real titles. Just find it useless to me). Plus, what i'd like to see is folders (or a tree as suggested above), in fact, user defined folders not 'Global', 'Appl', etc. but will take that if have to. Better than nothing.
  • I don't think folders are going to happen. That's introducing a level of complexity that most people (me included) wouldn't use. Tagging, on the other hand, isn't that complex and can work with "tags" based on the type of style it is.

Right now, in my dev version (I'll release it real soon now!), there's a filter box that can go based on name or URL (typing in "http://www.google.com/reader" will give you styles for google.com even if they don't have that specific URL). You can also type in "app" for all app styles, and if I add tagging you can categorize them however you like, then typing in the category will only show those styles.
  • edited January 2009
    This is a search. I and i believe # t31os are talking about display. I have no problem finding my styles 'cause i rename them to 'group' by name and (usually) filter by enabled/disabled (which, BTW, is extremely incontinent if you're working on a style(-s) and need to temporarily disable it as it immediately falls to the bottom). It's the display that i find ... awkward (having to rename every style you make/load to fit into imaginary 'groups'). But since nobody else seems to be interested or bothered, i'll live with it, thanks!
    (i wonder if it's possible to make a style to sort stylish .... ;-).
  • edited January 2009
    Yeah i think you're on to the same thing as me makondo....

Though thinking about what you mentioned, Jason could you not have stylish pickup TAGS in style titles, then sort the display by [TAGS], with the option to sort by [TAG] or show only [TAG]

Where [TAG] = a bbcode style tag included in the userstyle name.....

For example... (imagine this is my styles list for a moment)

My style 1
    My style 2
    My style 3
    My style 4
    My style 5
    My style 6
    My style 7
    My style 8

Lets say i changed style one's 'title' to...

[Google] My Style 1

By enclosing Google in our special tag, google is now [TAGGED] so to speak..., think how bbcode works....

Then provide an option to sort the style listing based on [xxx], and/or a dropdown style select where you can choose to view styles with [xxx], where [xxx] is one of you're existing tags, ie. Google in the example....

Wow, nearly got tongue tied there.....

Basically i'm suggesting stylish check the style title for a special tag encloser and if one exists then provide an option to sort the list in groups based on the tag....

A bit like you have now, but use a select box (populate the found tags) instead of typing in a tag...

This way you can group and sort based on the presence of a special bbcode type tag....

Of course some people will be using special characters in titles already, and you'll be (i imagine) doing some form of character stripping from style titles, so you'd need to use something unique....

Format could be anything though...

How about [styletag=Google]My google style 1[/styletag] as per the example...

Then you check for the presence of [styletag=XXX][/styletag], capturing what's been written where XXX is, then keep track of each of these for view sorting in the stylish list......

Did i make sense? :-)

Appreciate you responding, and curious to see the next version all the same.... :)
  • edited January 2009
    Then again that's not going to be much different then the search and current sorting.......

Though if it was an addition it could be used as an extra sorting to supplement the existing one......

That way i can append the styles i want to hide with Special Tags and view non-tagged styles, meaning the ones i don't need to see are hidden, or vice versa, tag the ones i want to see, and don't show non-tagged styles....

Something like this....

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6654/sty1qt7.gif

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6439/sty2vq7.gif

View by tag, or view no tags, as well as still leaving the current search there so you get the best of both... (hence the last style in the second image, you're viewing on a tag level so site is not relevant, still leaving the filter by site/search as an extra level of filtering)....

Of course in image form it's talk and seem's easy, but it could be another matter on the code side....

Just happy to share ideas..... ;-)