Clicking Home impossible when messages displayed

About: Google Reader Absolutely Compact
edited January 2009 in Style Reviews
I've noticed that if you "Mark all as read" it displays a note stating that "Marked... ...as read". This note makes clicking on the "Home" link impossible until the message goes away. Is there a way to edit this style so that you can click on the "Home" link when messages like that are visible?

Also, would it be possible to display the "Home" link instead of the "All items" link when it is minimized?

Comments

• 1) You must have some really long feed titles or a very low screen resolution as the "Marked... as read" message never covers up my 'Home' link.

2) It is beyond the scope of this style to rearrange the order of links in the sidebar.

Might I suggest the g,h keyboard combo (press 'g', then 'h') for navigating to 'Home'? It should solve both problems for you.
  • It doesn't cover up the "Home" link, it just makes it un-clickable when the message is displayed.
  • In answering another request, I found a side effect was that it fixed your issue as well.

So, if you don't mind the status message being right justified, give this snippet a try:
    #message-area-outer { width: auto !important; right: 0 !important; }
  • This fixed everything. You should look at updating the script for other users.
  • Also, I have icons displayed in the sidebar and I think you might need to fix the code that displays them so they are properly aligned. Here's what I've used that works:

/* remove icons from navbar and tighten the left margin for folder/subscription entries */
    .scroll-tree .expanded .toggle {
    background-position: 3px -63px !important; }
    .scroll-tree .collapsed .toggle {
    background-position: -20px -63px !important; }
    #lhn-subscriptions .scroll-tree li a {
    padding-left: 15px !important; }
    #lhn-subscriptions #sub-tree ul ul li a {
    padding-left: 25px !important; }
    #lhn-subscriptions .scroll-tree .toggle {
    width: 16px !important; }
  • I wanted to use the message modification change for a few days before updating the style to be sure it didn't mess something else up. I will add it soon though.

If you've modified the style to show the sidebar icons, you should just delete that other piece of code. If I make the changes you've proposed, there's a big empty space in front of the labels for the default style.
  • I updated the script - with a twist. The messages now appear below the search box, so as not to block that either.

Hope you like it!