Notice: The devs are no longer actively involved in the forum, so any bug reports regarding the Stylish extension or this website should be sent to them directly at contact@userstyles.org.
Changing your Avatar.
The only way to currently change a forum avatar is through Gravatar.com. The email address used for your Userstyles.org account must be one of the email addresses that is registered to your Gravatar account.

stickam layout

edited March 2007 in userstyles.org
i was wondering if there was a way to hide my friends list on my stickam.com profile

i used this :

#profileMediaAudio,
#profileRssBtn,
.profileRss,
#profileFriend,

{display:none;}

but it only works in Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Safari or anything else for that matter.
is there a specific way to get it to work on Firefox? since the majority of people now use Firefox. i dont know too much about mozilla specific coding, so im kinda lost, but like i said using that code above keeps anyone from viewing my friends list if they are using Internet Explorer.

Comments

• I'm surprised Jason didn't jump all over that, knowing how he likes to make fun of people he thinks use too many commas. 8-þ

#profileMediaAudio,
    #profileRssBtn,
    .profileRss,
    #profileFriend
    { display: none ! important; }
  • i tried it like that before as 'display: none !important; '

and it didnt work.
  • That's nice. The "important" isn't.
  • ok i just pasted what u had put

when i tried to edit what was already there, when submitting it, it would change the code up a bit.

thanks for the help. i really appreciate it.
  • Is there some reason you're surrounding those with <style> tags? If you're using the Stylish extension, then there's no need to that. Here's what it should look like:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml); @-moz-document domain("stickam.com") { #profileMediaAudio, #profileRssBtn, .profileRss, #profileFriend { display: none ! important; } }
    The first line (the namespace) tells firefox to only apply the style to web pages. Without it, it will apply globally, to both the firefox interface (which can be styled with CSS), and web pages.

The next line, -moz-document, wraps around your CSS code and allows you to control where the style will be applied...in this case it's applied to the entire stickam.com domain. See http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/CSS:@-moz-document for more info.

The rest of it is just typical CSS code, but you usually add "!important" after every declaration; that way it overrides the original style.
  • well i wanted the code to put in the webpage itself so anyone that views my profile page, wont see certain tables.

but it only worked for the Internet Explorer browser, cause when i submit the form ,sometimes it takes it while other times it just alters the code and doesnt work.

i wanted to be able to get it to work in Firefox, cause thats the majority of websurfers use nowadays.

cause im just not completely used to the way Firefox handles certain things. back when i learned basic CSS, Internet Explorer was what everyone seemed to be using. so i stuck with using the same stuff. cause Firefox wasnt as popular or well known as it is now.

i then wanted to later use the code in stylish, so i could view everyone elses page the same way. without the clutter. but the focus was so that everyone who viewed my page would see it customized without the clutter.
  • Posted By: methosthanks for the help. i really appreciate it.
    Da nada. I figured you were using it in the page, rather than Stylish. BTW, just so you know for next time and didn't notice, the problem was caused by the comma, after the final selector. 8-þ
  • Oh well...I guess I assumed you were trying to get it working with Stylish. I must have skipped the last paragraph in your first post talking about internet explorer and safari ;p
    Posted By: methosi wanted to be able to get it to work in Firefox, cause thats the majority of websurfers use nowadays.
    Heh, maybe the majority of people who know better, but unfortunately, IE still has a market share somewhere in the 80 percent range I believe.
  • I don't know if what's obtained by, pretty much, forcing your product down people's throats can, properly, be referred to as "market share" but, according to W3, IE accounted for 58.7% of it, as of Feb., and that's been, steadily, declining. It won't be long; especially now that M$ has screwed up so badly, with Vista, and will be losing ground in the operating system market, as well.
  • Weishun, "W3Schools" is not the W3C. I wouldn't suggest believing their statistics. After all, you can't believe their incomplete, ad-laden reference library.
  • edited April 2007
    Posted By: b0atWeishun, "W3Schools" is not the W3C.
    I didn't say it was. The "W3", in my post, is an abbreviation of "W3 Schools", whose site the link takes you to. Since you appear to have followed the link, I would've thought that'd be obvious but, if it'll be less confusing for you, I'll try to remember to use "W3S" and "W3C", when referring to "W3 Schools" and "World Wide Web Consortium", respectively.
    I wouldn't suggest believing their statistics.
    Similar statistics are available on, numerous, other sites.
    After all, you can't believe their incomplete, ad-laden reference library.
    I don't see any ads, on the "W3S" site, but my ad blocking style may account for that. I don't know of any reference library that's "complete". As for "W3S", I haven't used theirs in quite some time so don't know how "complete" or "believable" it is, currently. Perhaps, since both Valacar and I have recommended it, you'd be good enough to give us a few examples of what it's missing and in error on?
  • Posted By: WeishunAs for "W3S", I haven't used theirs in quite some time so don't know how "complete" or "believable" it is, currently. Perhaps, since both Valacar and I have recommended it, you'd be good enough to give us a few examples of what it's missing and in error on?
    I think he's referring to your comment on IE only having 58.7% market share. w3schools is a good site for learning, but it seems those browser usage stats are just based on visitors to their site, which I'm sure are mostly developers. Recently, I found this Market Share by Net Applications, which seems a little more believable, especially since they're taking stats from a variety of 40,000+ sites.
  • Posted By: ValacarI think he's referring to your comment on IE only having 58.7% market share. w3schools is a good site for learning, but it seems those browser usage stats are just based on visitors to their site, which I'm sure are mostly developers.
    The comment, on IE only having 58.7% market share, was by "W3S"; I just posted it. They state: The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures.
    Recently, I found thisMarket Share by Net Applications, which seems a little more believable, especially since they're taking stats from a variety of 40,000+ sites.
    Given Net Applications' bias towards Microsoft, I'm not sure how "believable" either their statistics or their claim to be tracking 40,000 sites is. The "W3S" page has two sections, "Statistics Are Often Misleading" and "Quotes", which I think are worthwhile considering.

Personally, I could care less who has what market share but, in order to settle the matter, would suggest we can all agree that Internet Extorter is losing ground, Firefox is gaining ground and anyone with any sense is using Firefox. 8-þ
  • Has anyone found a solution to this yet? This thread can probably be considered dead since its a year old, but it fits exactly what I need done: A code for Stickam that will hide the My Friends box. A few Google searches have so far yielded nothing better than this.