[REQUEST] np! - enable/disable all styles?

edited April 2008 in Stylish
I think we had this discussion before but i couldn't find it, sorry. Still sure someone has already asked about it: a way to disable/enable all styles. It would be very helpful in troubleshooting. Right now i have to either disable each style one by one (a pain with 90+ styles! - BTW, would be nice to have some sort of count there too) or i have to disable the extension which is useless if i'm looking for an error/conflict within styles.
TIA!

Comments

• I can see the case for disabling everything. With Firefox 3's better behaviour, this should be possible; it's just a matter of how the UI works. I don't especially like the way Greasemonkey does it.
  • Good to hear (even though looks like i won't be upgrading to Fx3). You see, i could disable all, then enable only 1+1+1.. of those that i think might have a conflict. I know i can use another profile - a bit of a long run around though.
    Thanks for taking the time, i'll be waiting right here.
  • You could start with a button in the style manager, just to get the function accessible. It would be there, and thus in sidebar. But the sidebar is out of room, with button text on, already. Smaller icons and optional button text, could patch that.
  • The two approaches are 1) disable stylish itself temporarily i.e. by clicking on the status bar icon like Greasemonkey does; 2) an enable/disable all option from the Manage Styles dialog. Both would be useful, and IMO the first would be better for testing purposes.
  • Posted By: makondo...Right now i have to either disable each style one by one (a pain with 90+ styles! - BTW, would be nice to have some sort of count there too) or i have to disable the extension which is useless if i'm looking for an error/conflict within styles.
    TIA!
    Another words, if i have 2-3 styles which might be conflicting, i'd like to be able to disable all styles and then enable those i suspect either at once or one by one. Can't do that if the ext. is disabled.
  • Good suggestion. Recommend that you contact the developer of the Stylish plugin to implement these feature.
  • ^ Good suggestion! Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org
  • Have to bump even though i'm aware np is deep in the 'site mode' right now. Just put it on (top of) your extension-ToDo-list, OK?
    1. I use Stylish Manager: Tree Checkbox Images style by Gristle The problem is i often click on those nice looking images accidentally and accidentally toggle a style on/off w/out even realizing it. I though a double click on a style to toggle it would be great but then the double click is already taken by editor. I really would like some (more difficult than just a single click) option for toggle. Maybe a double click on the image only? Is this possible at all?

2. Related to the above ^ - sorting. Like, disabled styles to the bottom, enabled stay on top (i prefer alphabetized). This way i have less chances to enable a disabled style.

3. Disable all option ;-)

BTW, if anybody knows of an already existing style for any of this, i'd appreciate a pointer, TIA!
  • Clicking "Description" then "Enabled" in the Stylish Mgr should sort the styles by enabled/disabled in alphabetic order.
  • Geeze! I had no idea that little check mark was 'Enabled' (as i've said in the other place you know - i have to start paying attention). Thanks a bunch!!
    2. - one down, 2 to go?
  • edited September 2008
    That's one bumpy thread.
    I now have over a 100 styles and a conflict somewhere there that i can't solve w/out disabling every one of them one buy one and then enabling - one by one - only those that i need enabled. It's a mess, to say the least. There has to be a easier way than writing down enabled styles and disabling/enabling one by one (almost 200 clicks?!..). Even with that option, i will still have to write the enabled down before disabling them but it's a half of the prob.
    I'm pretty sure it would be a useful feature for many.
  • Still waiting ... for some response...
  • I replied back in April :)
  • You mean this? >>>
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)I can see the case for disabling everything. With Firefox 3's better behaviour, this should be possible; it's just a matter of how the UI works. I don't especially like the way Greasemonkey does it.
    ... i was hoping for some progress .... (goes back to his room)
    But seriously, can maybe a checkbox be added to the left side of the manager window?
  • As you may or may not know, I was employed by Mozilla from October 2007 to October 2008 to work on sumo. Now that I've no longer doing that, a lot more is getting done around here. I am (slowly) working on the next version of Stylish and I intend to add this feature.
  • THANK YOU!
    (i knew about sumo but didn't know it was until this oct... i was wondering what has gotten into you as you're posting here again ;-))
  • I keep thinking about this and just can't see an 'easy' way. If i use the button enabled/disabled like jw25 suggested, as soon as i disable a style, iy drops into the disabled part. So, i still have to keep track of what is disabled/enabled. Can it be done so that they're first sorted into enabled/disabled (as it is possible now, alphabetically) and when 'disabled all', they'd still stay put where they're? I hope it's clear what i'm trying to say here ;-)
  • edited October 2008
    I have terrific news. The Custom Buttons² Genius rawny just made a button to disable/enable all styles!
    In one click, the button will disable all styles (i had to write down all 67 enabled styles to be able to enable them later again) in their order, w/out tossing them into Disabled styles pile.
    No rush now, np (take your time. This function will go really great with grouping ;-)
  • The button is now updated and working perfectly. It drops a confirmation so chances to make a mistake and accidentally disable/enable/save a wrong state of styles is minimum if not zero. Yes, we can now save and restore the present (or whatever) state of styles. Check it out!!
  • And it's been updated again - now with a restart option that saves the present state of styles. It's one awesome button, people!
  • But it requires a restart... :(
  • So?
    BTW, the button has been updated again - now with options menu.
  • So it's not that immediate change viewer that you were asking before! It's almost like disabling/enabling Stylish... *-*
  • Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way round the restart. The button modifies the stylish.rdf file and the restart is used to reload said file. If anyone can tell me how to make stylish re-read it's file (without a restart), then I can get around the restart.

Anyway, the main useful thing about the button (though I do say so myself) is that it allows you to save the currently enabled/disabled states of your styles (without a restart!) and then restore that state whenever you want to.

It's not really anything like enabling/disabling stylish. Let's say I have 50 styles, some enabled some disabled, and I have a conflict between some of them, but I don't know which ones. Disabling stylish and restarting simply proves that the conflict is down to my styles (assuming it goes away). I would then need to re-enable stylish (and restart a second time) before I could try to diagnose the problem any further. However, using the button, I could save the currently enabled/disabled states of my styles, then disable all of them (requiring 1 restart so far). Then I could enable my styles one by one to see which are conflicting. When I've found and fixed the problem, I can use the button to restore the enabled/disabled states of my styles (requiring 2 restarts in total).

So if I could get Stylish to re-load/re-read it's file, then I can get round the restart, but at the moment, it's a small price to pay.
  • Thanks for this detailed explanation! Don't get me wrong, I was not saying it's not useful (in fact, it's very useful!); I was just noting that one of his main requests was no - yet - fulfilled...
    One huge improvement would be the ability to save/restore multiple snapshots so that one can choose which one to reload at a given moment. This would empower it even more (think about the possibilities...)
  • edited October 2008
    Sorry, i don't know where you got this idea. This button now does exactly what i was asking for (there's a link to our discussion in Custom Buttons² forum in the button post). Multi-snaps are no use to me, really. I've never asked for it and wouldn't even know how or why i would use it. Can you give an example, please?

1. I have absolutely no problem with restart. Don't we do it all the time for all sorts of needs? Like install/update exts., some styles require a restart, etc.
    2. Disabling stylish is not the same as disabling all styles and enabling selected only for troubleshooting or testing (if you have any global styles, this is irreplacable!), just like rawny has explained.
    3. This is a very, very useful button - speaking from experience. Thank you, rawny!!
  • edited October 2008
    Posted By: makondoSorry, i don't know where you got this idea.
    Then, sorry! I guess this was just forward-thinking, from my own understanding and wishes... ;)
    Multi-snaps are no use to me, really. I've never asked for it and wouldn't even know how or why i would use it. Can you give an example, please?
    I was reffering to Custom Buttons² implementation. As it can save the current state at any given time, having multiple snapshots would be tremendously useful (imho) for loading and applying e.g. theme-specific style sets. This is just one of the possibilities.
    1. I have absolutely no problem with restart. Don't we do it all the time for all sorts of needs? Like install/update exts., some styles require a restart, etc.
    Well, certainly not having to restart is way better, right? Besides, I've never had to restart for applying a style; anyway, I guess I'm not wrong in saying that most of the styles will work without restarting.
    2. Disabling stylish is not the same as disabling all styles and enabling selected only for troubleshooting or testing (if you have any global styles, this is irreplacable!), just like rawny has explained.
    You do know that I know that, no? *lol*
    3. This is a very, very useful button - speaking from experience. Thank you, rawny!!
    Ditto!!
  • I've edited my post while you posted yours. That's why it looks backwards and confusing somewhat.
    I'm glad we both agree it's one nice button! :-)
  • Sure we agree and I'm glad too! :D

What do you think about the use of multiple snapshots I've addressed?
  • I'm not sure, sorry. I believe it's another approach to the grouping option. We could then group, let's say, appl. styles for themes. That would be permanent save, sort of like a session manager for styles.