The new forum

edited December 2006 in userstyles.org
Welcome to the forum. Gone are the days of 40-page threads at mozillaZine!

The forum and the main site work under a single sign on - your account will be automatically created, and you will be automatically logged in and out when you do so on the main site.

I plan on having a thread created for every style posted to the site, and including a link to the thread on the style's page. Other ideas for forum integration?

Comments

• good pick for the forum software, it has a nice look.
  • Absolutely fantastic, np! Still making my way around and liking it so far. Thanks a lot!Have a great holiday!!
  • I would suggest you don't automagically create threads for every style posted.

Some styles are simple one off's that don't require much discussion and the forum could be swamped by useless threads.

Just a thought.

Oh and it would be great to be able to maintain a 'watched' or 'favourite' list for those styles one borrows code from but don't install

Well done on the forum though.
  • Thank you this will help a lot. :)
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for the forum, np. Now I don't have nothing to do this morning.

Edit: Updated http://userstyles.org/style/show/478 to style this forum as well.
  • edited December 2006
    Nice. I'm not sure what happened to my avatar, though.

Ah, that's better.
  • >Some styles are simple one off's that don't require much discussion and the forum could be swamped by useless threads

The forum has categories, which would make it so that only one section got "swamped".

>Oh and it would be great to be able to maintain a 'watched' or 'favourite' list for those styles one borrows code from but don't install

There's a bookmarks feature here, haven't figured out what it does besides add [Bookmarked] beside the title. The forum's quite extensible, so maybe nothing.

I'm definitely going to add the Preview, Quoting, and HTML extensions. Probably feeds too.
  • Glad to finally see the much need forum has arrived =)

Is this still in the testing phase, 'cause I didn't see anything on the front page of userstyles.org, and there's nothing about it on your blog. The only reason I found it is because I saw ChoGGi's updated userstyle for this forum.

As for creating a thread for every single style, I'd have to agree with theaulddubliner...we could end up with a lot of useless threads. Perhaps you could create the threads as they're needed...basically the first time someone clicks the link to the style's thread.
  • edited December 2006
    Perhaps a way could be found to make this site interactive with style comments, giving the author an opportunity to respond to comments.
    Since a userstyles.org style member is automatically a forum member, it seems as if it might be possible.

Thanks for what has the potential be a very useful forum and a great compliment to the styles site.

Regards,
    Doug
  • edited December 2006
    The forum won't keep me logged in.
    I have to log out of the styles page, log back in, then log back in to the forum,
    (frequently, but not all the time).
    Whew!! I'm all tired out.
    My cookies are set at "when they expire".
  • Can you send me (by e-mail) the names and values of your cookies when you're in a "logged in but not" state?
  • Ok, I will when it happens again.
    Could you give me your email again?
    And is it ok to just copy/paste from cookies.txt?
  • jason@userstyles.org

If cookies.txt is plain text and understandable, go ahead.
  • np,
    is there an option to edit your own post? TIA!
  • There should be an edit button on the top right side of your post.
  • Sharks! Thanks, pileOnades, i use Greg's Brushed style for this site and the word 'edit' is pale gray (kinda), so couldn't see it. Moved my mouse - accidentally - across the screen and it popped up (in black).

One more thing - there's a 'Bookmark this discussion' on the left side, under (word) Options. What does it do? I clicked it, it now says 'Bookmarked' on the page with my post but where is it bookmarked? What's the use of it?
    TIA!
  • Haven't figured that out yet.
  • Hehe, thanks for your time nonetheless!
  • The "Bookmarks" aren't of much use 'til the forum's quite a bit larger. Once Jason installs the "Discussion Filters" and "Panel Lists" extensions, you'll get a better idea of what they can do, for you.
  • np,
    i think there shouldn't be 'Styles Request' category. I saw this happening in other forums - requests get worked out/filled but not posted in (ready) styles; working on a style often crosses with things already (or need to be) posted in the development category; it complicates searching, etc.
    I think, 'Styles' is good enough for requests and existing styles discussions.
  • You may be right, but I'll leave it as is and see how it works out. It's not difficult to combine categories, but it is difficult to split them.
  • Do you have an option (or is there an extension available) for the forum that will let a user "view new posts since last visit"?
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: Jason Barnabe (np)Feel free to suggest.
    Here are a few I found.
    The descriptions are quite vague, so I'm not sure if any of them would be correct for "view new posts since last visit".
    New Discussions 1.0
    Latest Discussions 1.1
    Latest Discussions Prime 1.1.2
    Latest Posts Integration 1.1
  • edited January 2007
    I threw this style together to help sepatate posts from alternate posts here on the userstyles.org forum. It also adds more visibility to posts that contain quotes.
    Change the colors to your liking.
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml); @-moz-document url-prefix("http://userstyles.org/forum/") { /* background color for all forum pages */ body { background: #F3F3F3 !important; } /* background color for posts */ #CommentBody, .Alternate { background: white !important; } /* text color for quotes */ BLOCKQUOTE { color: darkblue !important; font-style: italic !important; } /* colors for code */ CODE { color: #007500 !important; background: #D9E9F9 !important; } }
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: dougeeebearBLOCKQUOTE, SITE {
    color: darkblue !important;
    font-style: italic !important; }
    Shouldn't that be CITE and not SITE? Not a bad change though.
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: ValacarShouldn't that be CITE and not SITE?
    You're right... changed.

Edit:
    I took it out because it doesn't really seem to be needed.
    I also made a couple other minor changes.
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: dougeeebearDo you have an option (or is there an extension available) for the forum that will let a user "view new posts since last visit"?
    Actually, I just noticed that discussions with new posts have a different background color, and a link to new posts.
    That would probabaly be sufficient if none of the extensions I listed works out.
  • Posted By: dougeeebearHere are a few I found.
    The descriptions are quite vague, so I'm not sure if any of them would be correct for "view new posts since last visit".
    New Discussions 1.0
    Latest Discussions 1.1
    Latest Discussions Prime 1.1.2
    Latest Posts Integration 1.1
    None of these do what you're asking for. They all list the newest threads or the threads with the newest posts, not a list of unread threads.