The best dark style! Thanks.
  • First of all, I wanted to say thank you for this style. I've been testing it for months with other dark styles (about 10) and now I am certain - this is the best of them all.
    And I wanted to ask, is it possible to exclude certain url from it?
    Thanks again.
  • Thanks for the positive rating.

As for your question - nope, I don't think there is a way to do that.
  • Are you sure? Absolutely no way? Not even a tricky one? Like overriding by greasemonkey script or other user style? I am not a programmer and I don't know css, but this is very important to me so I need to know for sure. Thanks.
  • I'm not a programmer as well, just an amateur playing with CSS.

I'm not familiar with this feature, but there is a way. Though, there seems to be a bit of lag (at least on my computer) when switching from included to excluded site (and vice-versa)

First, install Stylish-Custom.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12105/

After that, find my style and edit it by clicking the Stylish Statusbar Icon > right-click on "Midnight Surfing" and choose Edit.

The Edit dialog will pop-up. At the top, there's a Tags form. This can be used to add exclusions. Specifically for my style, you have to add (with the quotations) -

"*|enable [yourwebsite]|disable"

Make sure to not remove the *|enable part.

Example: I want to exclude the entire google domain. You'd insert into the Tags form -

"*|enable google.com|disable"

Example: I want to exclude the google domain, but google maps styled. Insert -

"*|enable google.com|disable maps.google.com|enable"

The filter is lax - you can simply add "oogle|disable" and it'll exclude any page whose url contains "oogle". It seems order matters, so if you're going to be enabling specific pages on a excluded domain - exclusions first, inclusions second.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Hm, using this feature is really screwing with how it applies my style - sometimes it stays applied even after I disabled the style.
  • Wow!
    Yes, it worked! Almost when I've lost all hope. I've been googling it for hours and askin' you was my last resort. Thank you very much!
    Though, there is definetely a lag about a second when switching from included to excluded sites and back, but I think it's inevitable with Stylish-Custom and I'll get used to it.
    And I didn't noticed any screwing with your style. Stylish-Custom just turns it on every time when switching on included tab, even if you're previously turned it off.
  • I logged in here just to say thank you for great work!
    It has been a while I wanted to have "Classic Perfect Dark" for Google and the "Midnight Surfing" for every other site (I usually make changes such as allowing background images because AJAX websites do not load without it).
    It simply is not possible without your addon to have a global addon and specific ones.
    Finally I can get rid of the annoying white backgrounds!
    Now we can exclude certain sites, urls and domains from Global scripts, that is great. But it took me an hour to find the discussion here. You guys need more publicity, I am sure many ppl have lost hope

dashesy
  • Posted By: dashesyNow we can exclude certain sites, urls and domains from Global scripts, that is great. But it took me an hour to find the discussion here. You guys need more publicity, I am sure many ppl have lost hopedashesy

Let's add some keywords for people to find this via the search function.
    exclude exclusion disable disallow url domain website site webpage page stylish custom stylish-custom
  • Hi luckymouse. Questions.
    To add exclusions: Why the extension Stylish-Custom must be installed first??
    The Edit dialog of Stylish, shows the Tags form without installing Stylish-Custom.

Does it write the "exclusion code" without the minus sign (-) ?

Does this trick (artifice, or artful device) only work with the style Midnight Surfing?, or with other globals too??
  • EpaminondasTuta said:
    To add exclusions: Why the extension Stylish-Custom must be installed first??
    The Edit dialog of Stylish, shows the Tags form without installing Stylish-Custom

That's for searching purposes only. Stylish-Custom adds inclusion/exclusion functionality when installed.

Does it write the "exclusion code" without the minus sign (-) ?

True. You don't use the minus sign. I'm only following the documentation ChoGGi provided. http://choggi.dyndns.org/wiki/stylish-custom/editdialog#misc

only works with the style Midnight Surfing?, or with others globals too??

It works with other global styles, and site styles as well.

For example: http://userstyles.org/styles/36026/google-dark-gray-theme-vc-fix-april-2011

Let's say I want to use this style, but disable it for Google Image search. I'd use.

"*|enable http://www.google.com/img|disable google.com/images|disable"

But! If you want to effectively disable the style, then add exceptions you can use -

"*|disable http://www.google.com/img|enable google.com/images|enable"

It seems you have to have *|enable or *|disable to make your style "active", then add [whatever]|disable or [whatever]|enable to exclude/include stuff. If I simply put "google.com/images|disable" , it doesn't work.
  • Thanks luckymouse.
    Wait. I tried even with a new profile Firefox3.6.16 on WinXP.
    I entered the exclusion codes as you described, and like the Guide. But that codes don't work on my FF. :-¿

My steps:
    At Options Stylish, Click on Edit Midnight Surfing.
    On Edit window Popup, click on Cambiar Barras (Change Bars?).
    I wrote the exclusion code in Etiquetas (Tags).
    "*|enable google.com|disable" ...OR... "*|disable google.com|enable"
    Click Guardar (Save menu) and close the dialog editor.
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3825/04052011000520.png

But nothing, it continues mixing (interfering) the Global style Vs. the Google userstyle, or other sites.
    After, I open the edit window again, and the tags are in Blank !!!

I also tried the trick similar to youtube site, but the same trouble.

What is happening?
  • Huh. Doesn't make sense at all. Your text looks okay by me. Copy and paste my text to test it out -> "*|enable google.com|disable"

Are you using the latest version of Stylish? I'm using Stylish 1.1.1, Firefox 4.0 with WIndows XP. Even though I'm on Fx4 now, this feature worked when I was on 3.6 as well. Also, I'm using the current version of Stylish-Custom, 0.7.7f , which can be found at http://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/comment/52422/#Comment_52422

Try going to Add-Ons, find Stylish-Custom, click Options and go to the the Toggle tab (the last tab) I have the first option selected, which is the default option I think.

"Toggle for page loaded/ tab switched".

http://choggi.dyndns.org/wiki/stylish-custom/optionsdialog#style_toggling

Tip: If you exclude/disable google.com but are still on a google.com page when you save and close the style, Google will be styled still. Make sure to refresh the page and it should switch back to the normal, white, default look of Google.

If making sure you're using the latest versions and the tips I provided doesn't work, then I don't know what the problem is...
  • Hello luckymouse. Thanks, the issue of Save Tags was resolved in that version of Stylish-Custom 0.7.7.

However, I have conflicts (interferences) using exclusion Tags, possibly "Midnight Surfing" (turned off) entangled (or getting mixed up) to other global (active), and clinging despite turning off all these globals.

I am talking to the author ChoGGi. If you want, exchanges information with him.
    I tried the S-C0.7.8a last update, but the trouble is still.
    http://forum.userstyles.org/discussion/comment/53475/#Comment_53475

Could be a issue of Midnight Surfing??
    So I thought before. Nevertheless, recently this entanglement also happened with Blackify-4, Global dark style -, myfavolours, and every global style featuring each one of them Turned Off.
    I think there is a problem about the interpretation by global styles on the Tags of Stylish-Custom extension.
  • i just had to create an account to thank you for ending my hours of frantic searching of how to exclude websites from stylish!

BIG THANKS! YOU ROCK!
  • Redy said: I've been googling it for hours

dashesy said: it took me an hour to find the discussion here

thankyou said: ending my hours of frantic searching

Hours...
    H-ours
    Whores
  • Huh? mouse, are you 'tagging' or calling?
  • I have found Midnight Surfer to be the the best Dark Style I have ever seen
    Many thanks for all the work you have put into this.
    Much appreciated.

The discussion on Stylish-Custom was also very interesting
    It allowed me to discover Stylish-Custom.
    And l also managed to get the exclusions working
    It has been a long time that I have wanted to do this.
    Wonderful

So thanks to all the posters here, especially Luckymouse, and to ChoGGi as well of course....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!